09-10-2012, 07:52 PM
User Info
Caveat lector: The Lea shave stick have - as far as I can tell from searching - gone through a couple of reformulations over the last couple of years. Mine is the "middle" formulation, without tallow. Older and newer stick should - again as far as I know - contain tallow.

I picked up the Lea shave stick on a whim, and for being cheap - a touch under 3USD from Shave A Buck - it's a reasonable decent stick. Not quite as good as the Arko - which can be had for less if you know where to look - but the Lea have the benefit of coming in it's own plastic carrier; very handy for the Gobag.

As far as the scent goes, it smells of soap and nothing more. That's not a bad thing, even less so when you plan on sticking it in your toiletry bag and leave it there - it wont stink up your other gear. It smells a little bit stronger when wet, but again only of soap as far as I can tell. Compared to a fresh Arko, it's very mild - compared to a slightly aged and aired out Arko it's much the same.

My Better Half claims it smells as if Irish Spring and Dove had a baby - it does remind me of Dove as well, but I've yet to smell the former. She haven't been exposed to Irish Spring in a decade though, so take that for what it's worth.

The lather is quick to whip up and plentiful, and it provides okay glide and cushion. Not the best I've experienced - that honour goes to Mike's Natural Soaps - but far from bad. In my experience it does collapse fairly quickly, which may or may not be an issue of you do three passes - I find it's sufficient for two.

The lack of tallow may give some issues if you got dry skin, but since I always uses a moisturiser after shaving it's a non-issue for me. The newest reformulation - which do have tallow in it - is bound to be better in that regard, even if it seems to be somewhat more expensive online. I have no idea what the latest reformulation is like in regards to scent or lather though, but reviews seems to be positive.

Overall it's a great little package; a sturdy container, a good soap and a low price. Definitely recommended if you want a shaving stick for travel or for use at home - you may want to look for the latest reformulation if you want a tallow based stick though. For me it has displaced the tube of shave cream in my GoBag, taking up less space with less chance of making a mess.

3 3,550
 09-10-2012, 08:22 PM
User Info
Hans, thanks for the review. Enjoy the cream.

75 20,883
 09-10-2012, 08:30 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The new Lea has tallow on it.This previous stick is ok but some reformulation ago,it was good.The new one with tallow and lanolin is as good as Palmolive,Wilkinson or Valobra stick.
Thanks again for your inputs!

86 7,123
 09-10-2012, 10:02 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
From the container it looks like the old stick, I might be mistaken though. Thanks for the review!

88 4,233
 09-11-2012, 06:28 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(09-10-2012, 08:30 PM)Teiste Wrote: The new Lea has tallow on it.This previous stick is ok but some reformulation ago,it was good.The new one with tallow and lanolin is as good as Palmolive,Wilkinson or Valobra stick.
Thanks again for your inputs!

One day I should try the new version!

3 2,561
 09-11-2012, 09:45 PM
User Info
No tallow anywhere in the ingredients list - but at some point I might give the newest reformulation a go as well Tongue

3 3,550
 09-12-2012, 04:04 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you for a nice review and great pictures.

100 12,436