10-31-2018, 06:54 AM
User Info
Morning Gents,

Just wondering if my Simpson Duke 3 synthetic will ever 'break in' to a point where it doesn’t take two hands to get it to splay... I've had it for several months (received as a birthday gift) and love the soft tips, but the absurd (IMO) amount of backbone is a pain - I like to use both circular and painting motions when applying lather, but this Simpson is difficult to use that way without slinging lather all over the bathroom. Has anyone had similar experience with Simpson's synthetic offerings?

Jivey

0 17
 10-31-2018, 08:37 AM
User Info
I have one of the first Chubby synths, and I enjoy the backbone.
Not sure whether I want it to splay.

0 689
 10-31-2018, 07:03 PM
User Info
I have a Chubby 2 with a lower loft (48mm) and it does splay when applying enough pressure. I believe the bristles in your Duke 3 will eventually allow you to splay the knot, but nothing like natural fibres will. These synthetic fibres generally hold their shape, quite well, unfortunately, for you. 
Good luck.  Shy

89 21,220
 10-31-2018, 07:14 PM
User Info
I don't have experience with the Simpson synthetics but in my experience with different types of synthetic fibres, the knot won't "relax" or break in with time. Short of damaging the knot from mashing this level of springiness, backbone and splay (or lack thereof) is likely to stick around.

3 43
 10-31-2018, 08:00 PM
User Info
(10-31-2018, 07:03 PM)celestino Wrote: I have a Chubby 2 with a lower loft (48mm) and it does splay when applying enough pressure. I believe the bristles in your Duke 3 will eventually allow you to splay the knot, but nothing like natural fibres will. These synthetic fibres generally hold their shape, quite well, unfortunately, for you. 
Good luck.  Shy

Signs011   My chubby2 synth hasn’t changed much as I’ve used it. I’m primarily a circular-motion latherer, finishing with paintbrush motions to smooth. With the C2S I have adjusted to using paintbrush motions almost exclusively (though I have kept my natural hair brush technique unchanged). At first, I resisted the alteration in technique for the synthetic - but now I embrace it and appreciate just how good the brush is.

29 1,576
 11-01-2018, 12:21 AM
User Info
Synthetic fibres are nothing like their animal derived equivalents. They don’t have the springiness nor the ability to retain heat & moisture (in my opinion, the crux of wet shaving)

Simply put, a synthetic knot will never loosen or relax - it is the nature of the material.

By mashing a synthetic brush in an attempt to get it to open up will only damage the knot long term.

Shaving with synthetics requires a different approach & technique. You can still enjoy amazing lathering results with a more patient back & forth brush stroke.

The Chubby 2 synthetic is a great example. Though it shares its name with the much discussed Badger version, it provides a completely different shaving experience. Those who’ve mastered the brush love it, those who can’t detest it .....

They’ll never replace Badger brushes for me but they are light years ahead in terms of technology & quality from years gone by.

0 647
 11-01-2018, 03:45 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Well said, Mark. I think you’ve successfully encapsulated the intricacies of the synthetic knot.

9 1,036
 11-01-2018, 12:49 PM
User Info
Mine is a Simfix--having Vulfix synthetic bristles with a Simpsons Duke 3 handle.  I don't think the synthetic is comparable to the Simpsons Chubby 3 Synthetic, which I haven't tried.  My Simfix is too stiff also.  It didn't cost much though.

0 623
 11-01-2018, 05:41 PM
User Info
(11-01-2018, 12:49 PM)RonaldWadeL Wrote: Mine is a Simfix--having Vulfix synthetic bristles with a Simpsons Duke 3 handle.  I don't think the synthetic is comparable to the Simpsons Chubby 3 Synthetic, which I haven't tried.  My Simfix is too stiff also.  It didn't cost much though.

Is there such thing as a Chubby 3 synthetic??  If so, I would love to try one.

1 78
 11-01-2018, 06:00 PM
User Info
The Chubby 2 synthetic takes some getting used to.  My initial impression was that the lack of splay was a problem.  However,  by using paint brush strokes, patiently making minor adjustments, and giving myself time to get used to it, I eventually realized  that this is a great synthetic.  For me, no other synthetic offers the softness, density and backbone of the Chubby 2.

53 8,232
 11-01-2018, 06:13 PM
User Info
(11-01-2018, 05:41 PM)petropn Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 12:49 PM)RonaldWadeL Wrote: Mine is a Simfix--having Vulfix synthetic bristles with a Simpsons Duke 3 handle.  I don't think the synthetic is comparable to the Simpsons Chubby 3 Synthetic, which I haven't tried.  My Simfix is too stiff also.  It didn't cost much though.

Is there such thing as a Chubby 3 synthetic??  If so, I would love to try one.

My bad Chubby 2

0 623
 11-09-2018, 12:06 PM
User Info
(11-01-2018, 12:21 AM)A.E. Simpson 1919 Wrote: Synthetic fibres are nothing like their animal derived equivalents. They don’t have the springiness nor the ability to retain heat & moisture (in my opinion, the crux of wet shaving)

Simply put, a synthetic knot will never loosen or relax - it is the nature of the material.

By mashing a synthetic brush in an attempt to get it to open up will only damage the knot long term.

Shaving with synthetics requires a different approach & technique. You can still enjoy amazing lathering results with a more patient back & forth brush stroke.

The Chubby 2 synthetic is a great example. Though it shares its name with the much discussed Badger version, it provides a completely different shaving experience. Those who’ve mastered the brush love it, those who can’t detest it .....

They’ll never replace Badger brushes for me but they are light years ahead in terms of technology & quality from years gone by.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I've noticed my Chubby 2 has not changed. I just have to adjust in how I use it. I like mine alot!

0 41
 11-09-2018, 04:23 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-01-2018, 06:00 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The Chubby 2 synthetic takes some getting used to.  My initial impression was that the lack of splay was a problem.  However,  by using paint brush strokes, patiently making minor adjustments, and giving myself time to get used to it, I eventually realized  that this is a great synthetic.  For me, no other synthetic offers the softness, density and backbone of the Chubby 2.

Yes, I agree with you about using the Chubby 2. It just takes patience and time to get used to its characteristics.

Like they say, Not for nothin’, but you may want to check out one of Bob’s Tuxedo knots. It’s the Chubby 2’s only competition.

10 3,122
 11-09-2018, 04:53 PM
User Info
(11-09-2018, 04:23 PM)chazt Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:00 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The Chubby 2 synthetic takes some getting used to.  My initial impression was that the lack of splay was a problem.  However,  by using paint brush strokes, patiently making minor adjustments, and giving myself time to get used to it, I eventually realized  that this is a great synthetic.  For me, no other synthetic offers the softness, density and backbone of the Chubby 2.

Yes, I agree with you about using the Chubby 2. It just takes patience and time to get used to its characteristics.

Like they say, Not for nothin’, but you may want to check out one of Bob’s Tuxedo knots. It’s the Chubby 2’s only competition.

It's a good suggestion Charlie.   I already have a Bob Quinn handle with one of his 26mm Plisson type knots set to a 55mm loft.  It's a beautiful synthetic and an excellent performer.  I have been thinking  about contacting Bob for another brush with a 26mm Tuxedo knot.

53 8,232
 11-09-2018, 04:53 PM
User Info
(11-09-2018, 04:23 PM)chazt Wrote:

It's a good suggestion Charlie.   I already have a Bob Quinn handle with one of his 26mm Plisson type knots set to a 55mm loft.  It's a beautiful synthetic and an excellent performer.  I have been thinking  about contacting Bob for another brush with a 26mm Tuxedo knot.

53 8,232
 11-10-2018, 06:10 AM
User Info
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I ended up giving the Duke 2 synthetic to a friend... I have a Colonel X2L that I love, but it sheds like a dog, so I my go-to lately is a Semogue 620 boar. For $20 or thereabouts, the performance of this brush just has no rival in my admittedly limited experience Smile

0 17
 11-12-2018, 12:27 PM
User Info
(11-10-2018, 06:10 AM)Jivey Wrote: Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I ended up giving the Duke 2 synthetic to a friend... I have a Colonel X2L that I love, but it sheds like a dog, so I my go-to lately is a Semogue 620 boar. For $20 or thereabouts, the performance of this brush just has no rival in my admittedly limited experience Smile

That is a great performer, the old 620!
Great choice.

0 689