10-31-2018, 07:18 PM
User Info
Hello TSN-

I was curious to know if the Sabre would be a reasonable choice for an individual who has never used a single edge razor.

For whatever reason, I’ve got a bad case of “needing to buy a new razor”. I have NO need for more razors, but I’m eyeing the Blackbird and the Sabre caught my eye while on the website.

So, for those of you experienced with using a SE razor, would the Sabre make a good “first choice” for one’s first SE razor?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

11 486
 11-01-2018, 02:16 AM
User Info
(10-31-2018, 07:18 PM)shaverjoe Wrote: Hello TSN-

I was curious to know if the Sabre would be a reasonable choice for an individual who has never used a single edge razor.

For whatever reason, I’ve got a bad case of “needing to buy a new razor”.  I have NO need for more razors, but I’m eyeing the Blackbird and the Sabre caught my eye while on the website.

So, for those of you experienced with using a SE razor, would the Sabre make a good “first choice” for one’s first SE razor?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

The answer is a most definite, YES, but there may be other good options as well.  First, what razor are you using now?  I love my L2 but I consider it only moderately aggressive.  If you are used to a mild razor it might prove to be too aggressive OR if you currently use an aggressive razor, the L2 may prove to be too mild.  I have never used the L1.  I will leave it to others to tell you how much less aggressive it is than the L2. 

I assume from your note that you have the money to spend, but if you wanted to test a GEM razor without a major $ commitment, I would start with the GEM Bullet.  It is a mild to moderate shaver that is very efficient.  Other GEM razors like the MMOC are about the same level of aggressiveness as the L2 but no where near as smooth a razor so I wouldn't recommend it as a starter.  In my opinion the L2 is a remarkably well designed razor.  It doesn't feel aggressive on the face but it shaves as well an many aggressive razors.  By the way, it is easy to find a quality GEM Bullet on Ebay for around $20.

One last thought:  It is easy to find the proper shaving angle with the classic GEM razors as well as the L2.  Simply use the top cap as a guide to shave angle.  Easy!

Happy Hunting

6 101
 11-01-2018, 02:35 AM
User Info
I suggest starting with an inexpensive vintage GEM razor, to see if GEM blades work for you.

53 8,284
 11-01-2018, 03:06 AM
User Info
I didn't get along well with any of the Gems that I tried, found them to be too aggressive for my taste. My Sabre Level 2, however, is smooth and doesn't bite!

Reminds me of my old DE89. In short, yes, highly recommend the Sabre as a 1st try SE razor!

55 1,255
 11-01-2018, 03:17 AM
User Info
I agree, Sabre would be a good choice..... Cheers

0 860
 11-01-2018, 06:32 AM
User Info
I would recommend a vintage Gem - however I believe Blackland has a limited days return policy so it covers you in case you don't like the shave !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

1 76
 11-01-2018, 01:41 PM
User Info
I found the Sabre to be an excellent razor.  Incredibly smooth and easy to shave with.  

While both Blackland razors are exceptionally, I found the Sabre to be a smoother, more comfortable shave for me than the Blackbird. 

SE vs DE isn't really that big of a difference.  Sure, the blades are thicker and a bit more rigid but if you can shave with a DE razor you can certainly shave with an SE razor.  Once the blade is loaded and you start your first pass it's like any other razor you've used.  Nothing to be concerned with at all.

0 70
 11-01-2018, 02:34 PM
User Info
The Sabre lvl 2 gap is the cream of the crop for SE razors that use the gem blade. Go for it! Be prepared to get the SE bug though! Since getting my first SE razor, I’ve been using only SE razors. Definitely look into other SE razors like the injector and artist club razors. I’m drooling over the Blackland Vector that comes out in less than 48 hours.

13 256
 11-01-2018, 02:38 PM
User Info
(11-01-2018, 01:41 PM)dfoulk Wrote: I found the Sabre to be an excellent razor.  Incredibly smooth and easy to shave with.  

While both Blackland razors are exceptionally, I found the Sabre to be a smoother, more comfortable shave for me than the Blackbird. 

SE vs DE isn't really that big of a difference.  Sure, the blades are thicker and a bit more rigid but if you can shave with a DE razor you can certainly shave with an SE razor.  Once the blade is loaded and you start your first pass it's like any other razor you've used.  Nothing to be concerned with at all.

Not a huge difference between DE and SE, but I have the troublesome combination of  a gritty beard and sensitive skin.  I find the rigid SE blades to be much easier on my face.  So much so that I have sold all of my DE razors except for a few with sentimental value like my birth year Gillette Red Tip.  (that would be 1955.  OLD and ORNERY!)

6 101
 11-09-2018, 08:20 PM
User Info
Thank you to everyone for your replies. This is a razor I’m strongly considering.

11 486
 11-09-2018, 09:07 PM
User Info
(11-01-2018, 01:41 PM)dfoulk Wrote: SE vs DE isn't really that big of a difference.

I respectfully disagree. My beard is coarse, and my neck is sensitive - and SE blades are significantly better. Not even close. SE by a long shot. So much so, I gave up DE altogether.

31 1,621
 11-09-2018, 09:25 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I've been doiong DE for so long and have so many blades I just can't imagine crossing the border on these but...............my interest is pulling me very hard toward the Vector.

0 344
 11-09-2018, 09:26 PM
User Info
Just a quick reminder that we have a 30-day return policy so if you don’t love it you aren’t stuck with it.

0 802
 11-09-2018, 09:49 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Was just going to say this.
(11-09-2018, 09:26 PM)Blackland Razors Wrote: Just a quick reminder that we have a 30-day return policy so if you don’t love it you aren’t stuck with it.
Also, while most like the L2 better, I'm in the L1 boat.
Maybe order both and if one doesn't work, send that one back for refund.

82 3,454
 11-10-2018, 11:27 AM
User Info
(11-09-2018, 09:49 PM)Nero Wrote: Was just going to say this.
(11-09-2018, 09:26 PM)Blackland Razors Wrote: Just a quick reminder that we have a 30-day return policy so if you don’t love it you aren’t stuck with it.
Also, while most like the L2 better, I'm in the L1 boat.
Maybe order both and if one doesn't work, send that one back for refund.

This is probably the safest route, but after exchanging PMs with a couple of members, I’m pretty sure the L2 would be too aggressive for me.

I split my shaves 50/50 between DEs and straights.

When using a DE, I strongly prefer the ATT SS M1 plate. I have the R1, but find it too harsh as a daily use razor. In my correspondence with a couple of members here, I suspect I would enjoy the face feel of the Sabre L1 plate.

That said, I’ve never used a single edge razor, unless a straight counts, which I use 3-4x/week.

11 486
 11-10-2018, 08:17 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I'd love to see a "1.5 plate" to be honest. I have had that thought many times.

82 3,454
 11-10-2018, 09:24 PM
User Info
(11-09-2018, 09:07 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 01:41 PM)dfoulk Wrote: SE vs DE isn't really that big of a difference.

I respectfully disagree. My beard is coarse, and my neck is sensitive - and SE blades are significantly better. Not even close. SE by a long shot. So much so, I gave up DE altogether.

Funny how we all differ, significantly, Mike. You and I share similarities with our coarse beard and sensitive neck. Nevertheless, our choices of razors is completely opposite. I detest the SE (GEM-style) blades, whereas I get on extremely well with my DE blades (well, my Wizamet Iridium Supers, which are the only blades I have been using for the past eight years).  Smile

89 21,229
 11-11-2018, 12:36 AM
User Info
Celestino - I have learned much from you over the years and I greatly respect your opinion. Particularily with regard to brushes!

31 1,621
 11-12-2018, 09:06 AM
User Info
(11-11-2018, 12:36 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Celestino - I have learned much from you over the years and I greatly respect your opinion. Particularily  with regard to brushes!

Mike, thank you for your kind words.  Shy

89 21,229
 11-22-2018, 08:14 PM
User Info
Well, after receiving notification of the Blackland Black Friday sale, I ordered the Sabre with the L1 baseplate this evening in the machined finish. Can’t wait!

11 486