11-01-2018, 02:30 PM
User Info
(11-01-2018, 02:20 PM)discerningbev Wrote: Thanks so much for your enlightenment.  Just fantastic stuff here! Wow!!!  Like the above poster said respectful, entertaining, educational, positive and the list could go on and on.

And thank you!

3 1,222
 11-01-2018, 02:40 PM
User Info
Footnote: Here's a link to the previous thread in which photos of the Horn Chief appeared: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=30895.

3 1,222
 11-01-2018, 02:56 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(11-01-2018, 09:14 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 08:29 AM)discerningbev Wrote: Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I assume that is Lee. I would love to go to one of those old school men’s groooming shops in London like Taylor of Old Bond St.

Lee is one of a kind. I love the guy. What he brought about with/from Rooney was entrepreneurial, visionary, gutsy, and broadly game-changing. When I post regarding what Lee did and didn't generally do, my purpose is to clarify and place focus where I think it rightfully belongs, not take anything away from Lee. I have great respect for him and deep gratitude for his part in enabling what we do.

My wife and I spent most of a day with Lee in London. He took us everywhere in St. James, and everyone knew him. He arranged a complimentary straight shave for me at
Truefitt and Hill. Afterwards we quaffed beers at an ancient pub (The Red Lion). That evening his wife joined us, and we had one of the most memorable meals in my life at a restaurant in Shepherd Market, Mayfair, a few blocks from where Jimi Hendrix lived in 1968-69.

To paraphrase Steven Vincent Benet: There are love and hate and delusion, and all the tricks of the maze.
And the years are unreturning. But, here and there, there are days
. That was one of them for me.

Great story and excellent quote. Thank you, Ken, for sharing.

4 477
 11-01-2018, 05:40 PM
User Info
Love your stories Ken that is a bucket list day if I've ever heard of one... And thanks for more great insights into the process always fun to read your firsthand perspective.

85 451
 11-02-2018, 09:34 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(11-01-2018, 06:42 AM)discerningbev Wrote: Thanks for the info Ken but I am still confused. Did the old ladies that work for Lee Sabini hand tie the knots? Not trying to be snarky or uncouth but what is so special about Lee setting the knots if they were not hand tied?

(11-01-2018, 10:59 AM)bkatbamna Wrote: Great thread.  I've always wondered if all knots are hand tied and if they are, there should be no difference in which country they are actually tied in.

What I would expect is that if Lee is setting the knots he is also checking the work of his employees to ensure a certain standard.

I am not an expert, and maybe Ken could tell us if he knows of any alternative construction methods, but I do not know of any machine that makes knots. So I would guess that they all are in fact "hand tied" by someone, somewhere.

FWIW, there have been a lot of claims about Lee that can not be verified. What I know is that I have, and have had, a few brushes with Sabini knots, from several different times, and they have all been dense and perfectly shaped. One of the things I read on one of these boards is that Lee had an injury or health issue several years ago and was unreliable for a while. I do not know if any of that is true, but I have a recent M&F/Sears brush, made sometime this year, and the knot is one of my favorites out of about twenty brushes that I currently own. Maybe it is a small step below what Ken has been getting for the last couple of years in terms of hair, but the shape and construction of the knot is as good as what anyone is producing.

4 477
 11-02-2018, 02:26 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Brilliant thread guys; it's been a joy to read. 

Thank you for your insightful commentary and photos, Ken. 

Seeing the pictures of the half-brushes in profile has answered a number of questions I've always had but never thought to ask. Smile

41 725
 11-02-2018, 03:46 PM
User Info
(11-02-2018, 09:34 AM)Puma Wrote: I am not an expert, and maybe Ken could tell us if he knows of any alternative construction methods, but I do not know of any machine that makes knots. So I would guess that they all are in fact "hand tied" by someone, somewhere.

This is an interesting point.  Over the years I've read comments inquiring whether knots are "hand tied."   I don't know whether any knots are made by a machine.  I have no doubt that such a machine could be designed and built.  I'm not sure the economics involved justify the cost of designing  and  building such a machine.  My guess, and it's just a guess, is that all knots are hand tied.  The only question is whether they are hand tied in China, or hand tied in-house by the brush maker.

53 8,218
 11-02-2018, 05:17 PM
User Info
(11-02-2018, 03:46 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 09:34 AM)Puma Wrote: I am not an expert, and maybe Ken could tell us if he knows of any alternative construction methods, but I do not know of any machine that makes knots. So I would guess that they all are in fact "hand tied" by someone, somewhere.

This is an interesting point.  Over the years I've read comments inquiring whether knots are "hand tied."   I don't know whether any knots are made by a machine.  I have no doubt that such a machine could be designed and built.  I'm not sure the economics involved justify the cost of designing  and  building such a machine.  My guess, and it's just a guess, is that all knots are hand tied.  The only question is whether they are hand tied in China, or hand tied in-house by the brush maker.

3 1,222
 11-02-2018, 07:20 PM
User Info
That clip reminds me of the movie Thank You For Smoking (such a fun flick)

29 1,567
 11-02-2018, 07:50 PM
User Info
Thank you, Ken, for a fantastic thread and great pics!

30 889