11-05-2018, 11:07 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
So I am a fan of all things German, including my Muhle R41 and Rocca. Thought I'd throw a couple of German blades in them to try for a change. I usually use Polsilver or Gillette. So I tried a Merkur and Timor.

Merkur was OK. But I really liked the Timor blades in my Muhles. Sharp and bit thicker/stiffer than most blades and very comfortable. Less glue than the others too. Not much on TSN about Timor's but don't be afraid to give them a try if you haven't. I was very pleasantly surprised.

177 1,662
 11-05-2018, 02:09 PM
User Info
I've had them in rotation for awhile now, pretty good. Have you tried Cromma and Bolzano? I like Croma better than Bolzano.

1 1,073
 11-05-2018, 02:37 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(11-05-2018, 02:09 PM)zipper Wrote: I've had them in rotation for awhile now, pretty good. Have you tried Cromma and Bolzano? I like Croma better than Bolzano.

I haven't but I will. Also waiting on my Muhle blades to arrive.

177 1,662
 11-05-2018, 04:41 PM
User Info
I love Timor blades...first shave needs to be done with a light hand and I don’t chase the BBS...second shave is the absolute best, smooth as ice, and I go after the serious irritations free BBS every time!

I haven’t tried a third use, but think I will this week!

Vr

Matt

21 1,115
 11-05-2018, 07:01 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Born in Deutschland I go that way if I can but my money isn't with any of the blades from the mother land.

0 440
 11-06-2018, 07:40 AM
User Info
Timor is the best modern, available blade I’ve used. I cork the blade lightly before first use and can get two weeks worth of shaves from one blade.

52 508
 11-08-2018, 05:07 PM
User Info
(11-06-2018, 07:40 AM)shaveser Wrote: Timor is the best modern, available blade I’ve used.  I cork the blade lightly before first use and can get two weeks worth of shaves from one blade.

Never corked anything other than Feather. I'll give it a try...... Cheers

1 1,073
 11-10-2018, 04:55 AM
User Info
Theyre good blades, I just find them to be overpriced.  I can get the same shave from German Wilkies for less money.

0 101
 04-16-2019, 04:42 PM
User Info
So I just took out a fresh Timor and ran each side through the cork three times. I will give it a go tomorrow, and report back. First time I tried this...makes sense though and I will likely run every blade through a cork at least once if it works out. Same idea as stropping a straight razor I figure!

Vr

Matt

21 1,115
 04-16-2019, 11:56 PM
User Info
I do not get along that well with Timor blades. They are ok but feel duller and cause more irritation than several other blades. YMMV, obviously.
I have only used about eight blades so perhaps this is preliminary but so far they have failed to impress me and since I can get Feathers for the same money I see no reason to give them another go.

1 235
 04-17-2019, 01:09 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I am not a fan of these blades either.

60 2,593
 04-18-2019, 02:46 AM
User Info
Gents,

Didn’t shave yesterday so I had two days of growth and I used the Timor blade that had been run through a cork three times on each side in a Charcoal Goods Level One razor. The soap I chose was Sebum Purple, and I used a Black Wolf Synthetic Brush.

The shave was fabulous...absolutely none of the initial harshness that I had come to associate with a Timor blade on the first shave. It was wonderful!

The next time I shave, I will use the same razor with a fresh Timor blade run through the cork 2x. I want to see if I can get away with that since the CG Level One is a mild razor.

I think I will cork all of my blades on the initial shave at least one time one each side. The idea just makes sense to me since I associate it with stropping a straight razor to debur/smooth it’s edge before use.

Vr

Matt

21 1,115
 04-18-2019, 03:30 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Back when I was still using modern blades  I tried them. I really  wanted to like them because I loved the graphics on the pack but they just didn't  do it for me. But one should  always try for yourself when it comes to blades especially in this thing of ours. It's probably the most ymmv part of wet shaving.  See if tryablade.com has them. If they do you can try a few along with  others you may be considering.

8 2,605
 04-18-2019, 01:39 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
duFour razors are all that remain in the DE rotation (inc various Wolfman WR and BBS). Timors are exclusively used, corked prior to each use and tossed after 7 shaves - pure magic. A classic blade expert well known on these forums swear they are the only modern blade bearing any resemblance to vintage. BTW, for athletes body shaving, find the Astra SP does a great job without knicking.

3 423
 04-18-2019, 02:59 PM
User Info
(04-18-2019, 01:39 PM)DanLaw Wrote: duFour razors are all that remain in the DE rotation (inc various Wolfman WR and BBS). Timors are exclusively used, corked prior to each use and tossed after 7 shaves - pure magic. A classic blade expert well known on these forums swear they are the only modern blade bearing any resemblance to vintage. BTW, for athletes body shaving, find the Astra SP does a great job without knicking.

I have no idea how you can get 7 shaves out of Timors, my beard and/or face must be very different from yours because I can barely get 3. Don't think I could squeeze 4 out of them without serious discomfort. Then again I'm not very happy with them even on the 1st so there's that. YMMV I suppose.

1 235
 04-18-2019, 03:30 PM
User Info
(04-18-2019, 01:39 PM)DanLaw Wrote: duFour razors are all that remain in the DE rotation (inc various Wolfman WR and BBS). Timors are exclusively used, corked prior to each use and tossed after 7 shaves - pure magic. A classic blade expert well known on these forums swear they are the only modern blade bearing any resemblance to vintage. BTW, for athletes body shaving, find the Astra SP does a great job without knicking.

Hey Dan! When you cork the Timor blade, how many times do you run it through...I am in the experimenting phase to figure this corking thing out!

Vr

Matt

21 1,115
 04-18-2019, 05:49 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Do a single pass on both edges before use and then post shave after cleaning. Always store blades in their wrapper between shaves (not in the razor).

3 423
 04-19-2019, 01:57 AM
  • Mouser
User Info

All I use are vintage blades and they're not close to vintage  for me. Nothing modern is even close in longevity terms and in terms of combining sharpness  and smoothness the closest to vintage in modern blades, for me and that's an important caveat, are PSI, Super Iridiums (the non polsilver ones) GSB and Gillette 7 oclock yellows and surprisingly Rapira Swedish Super Steels.

8 2,605
 04-19-2019, 05:08 AM
User Info
(04-18-2019, 05:49 PM)DanLaw Wrote: Do a single pass on both edges before use and then post shave after cleaning. Always store blades in their wrapper between shaves (not in the razor).

Thanks Dan! I will give it a try!

Vr

Matt

21 1,115
 04-19-2019, 10:52 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
A little p.s. to my above post . I am retired and conducted a long, involved and fun, for me, hunt to get all my vintage  blades at prices or "cost per shave" below what you normally see them listed for.  For regular  exclusive use they arent worth those prices.  As collectibles maybe but not to use. If I was still working it would have been more time and effort than I  had and I would  never have gone down this road.

8 2,605