11-07-2018, 09:32 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
A few years ago, Hublot created some very special and legendary watches based on the Antikythera mechanism.

There was a video playing next to the showcase with the maker of this watch saying that this thousands of years old mechanism was so perfect that it was impossible for them to make an exact copy of that. They just don't know how someone made it back then. And we're talking about thousands of years ago.

[Image: bsplF4t.jpg?1]

[Image: 3VUOojs.jpg?1]

[Image: 3cA7qRn.jpg?1]

And you can imagine how pricey it is. Or you don't...

58 2,348
 11-07-2018, 09:37 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
It boggles my mind...what artisans were capable of hundreds of years ago.

The Marie Antoinette watch is another example. The worlds most complicated watch. It took teams at Breguet years to replicate what a single artisan did by candlelight with no electric tools.

I collect custom knives. Some of the knives made in Sheffield a hundred plus years ago are astonishing. Some with tolerances to .001 inch.

174 1,597
 11-07-2018, 12:34 PM
User Info
Hundred of years ago? Try thousands... which makes it a lot more impressive.

The Antikythera Mechanism and the quest to unlock it's secrets have fascinated me for, well, decades. Even more so because that device CANNOT have existed in a vacuum; there MUST have been precursors, related devices, watches and craftsmen who managed to take the "scientific theories" of the day (even if science as we know it today wasn't really a thing) and turn them into metal. And all that was... lost. Melted down for the metal and forgotten... *sigh*

A few recommendations in relation to that ancient analogue computer and orrery:
Decoding the Heavens: A 2,000-Year-old Computer and the Century Long Search to Discover Its Secrets by Jo Marchant
The YouTube channel "Clickspring" and his ongoing reconstruction
Decoding the Antikythera Mechanism (search on YouTube)
NOVA: Ancient Computer (available on YouTube)

And off course; the Lego version Smile

3 5,767
 11-07-2018, 01:19 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Great info, Hans, thank you!

Reading the story of this mechanism is fascinating.

58 2,348