11-07-2018, 02:58 PM
User Info
Hello all,

I thought about adding this to the "A dozen or so NOS Rooney's listed on "that auction site"" but decided that perhaps it would be better to post it here because my post involved a brush pre-dating the 2005 onward brushes that was meant for that post. The seller said to have bought this back in 1985. I was curious about the story of it more so I asked the seller and he said he had a friend working in England at the time that he asked to buy him a shaving brush, so he did, and when his friend returned stateside brought the brush back with him. The fellow remembered the price he paid then even, which came to 80 dollars after the conversion fee. Of course from his post he explained he bought the brush as a backup in case his old Rooney ever failed him. Never did, and he moved on to electric shavers.

Frankly I couldn't believe no one else would bid on the brush. The only thing I could want more is for the box to not have the tape around it like it does, and for the box to be just a bit cleaner, but it's mild for those complaints. The brush itself is just beautiful. It matches up well to the 3/3 I have, but the curves on this butterscotch Rooney are just better. The handle itself has a substantial feeling of weight to it. The butterscotch 3/3 weights 124g while my 3/3 Finest weights 108g.

The butterscotch specifications are:

25.7mm knot
68mm handle
62mm loft

The loft seems scary high,, and to be honest it will be too much for many people, but there is an approximately 15mm glue spike (stops right about where the middle black band begins) that prevents it splaying too crazy as seen in post bloom pictures. The hair is of excellent quality. It is labeled best, but from fingertip feel and face feel dry, it feels excellent and punches well above its classified weight class. Wet the brush is oh so soft. This is with just a cleaning of dawn soap, rinsed, then a soap in a 4:1 water/vinegar solution with a dash of glycerin. Every old brush I've personally used, or seen in person and felt dry on the face or fingers be it pure, best, or silvertip labeled always shines and punches above the modern counterparts of today.

Running the brush across the face after cleaning it is surprising just how much backbone is added from the glue spike. You really only feel the upper tips above the black band, and is easy to detect there is something preventing splay in use. I can't think of any brush that has had such a feeling to it in use, but my memory is nagging at me that there is something similar I have used, but this is still distinctly different. It really plays tricks on the mind as it sort of feels like it is a short dense brush, but at the same time I can feel that there is more loft than what a short dense brush offers. It's almost like a short dense brush floating on a cloud in the middle. I need to give to use it to really experience what it is like, but initial impressions of the brush are excellent.

Pre-use:

[Image: 0aEsZlU.jpg]

[Image: 1rkXPyJ.jpg]

[Image: KLjuvDT.jpg]

[Image: psYlimB.jpg]

Post-use:

[Image: yxecWL5.jpg]

[Image: CC4eM1K.jpg]

[Image: aAtK395.jpg]

Butterscotch Rooney with other fellow Rooneys:

[Image: 2NXsBOq.jpg]

[Image: vtyxWAS.jpg]

32 907
 11-07-2018, 03:08 PM
User Info
What a beauty!, It reminds me  to vintage Kent V10     Heart

8 1,860
 11-07-2018, 03:53 PM
User Info
Jesse, excellent thread. Thanks for your comments and your pictures. The brush looks excellent. Enjoy using!

83 1,605
 11-07-2018, 03:55 PM
User Info
(11-07-2018, 02:58 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: I thought about adding this to the "A dozen or so NOS Rooney's listed on "that auction site"" but decided that perhaps it would be better to post it here because my post involved a brush pre-dating the 2005 onward brushes that was meant for that post. The seller said to have bought this back in 1985. I was curious about the story of it more so I asked the seller and he said he had a friend working in England at the time that he asked to buy him a shaving brush, so he did, and when his friend returned stateside brought the brush back with him. The fellow remembered the price he paid then even, which came to 80 dollars after the conversion fee. Of course from his post he explained he bought the brush as a backup in case his old Rooney ever failed him. Never did, and he moved on to electric shavers.

Frankly I couldn't believe no one else would bid on the brush. The only thing I could want more is for the box to not have the tape around it like it does, and for the box to be just a bit cleaner, but it's mild for those complaints. The brush itself is just beautiful. It matches up well to the 3/3 I have, but the curves on this butterscotch Rooney are just better. The handle itself has a substantial feeling of weight to it. The butterscotch 3/3 weights 124g while my 3/3 Finest weights 108g.

<snip>

Nice brush; great post!

(11-07-2018, 03:08 PM)lu20vt Wrote: What a beauty!, It reminds me  to vintage Kent V10     Heart

You mean the color, not the shape, right?

3 1,222
 11-07-2018, 03:58 PM
User Info
Fine find...... Number_one  Congrats, you are todays winner.... Cheers

0 799
 11-07-2018, 04:09 PM
User Info
(11-07-2018, 03:55 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 02:58 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: I thought about adding this to the "A dozen or so NOS Rooney's listed on "that auction site"" but decided that perhaps it would be better to post it here because my post involved a brush pre-dating the 2005 onward brushes that was meant for that post. The seller said to have bought this back in 1985. I was curious about the story of it more so I asked the seller and he said he had a friend working in England at the time that he asked to buy him a shaving brush, so he did, and when his friend returned stateside brought the brush back with him. The fellow remembered the price he paid then even, which came to 80 dollars after the conversion fee. Of course from his post he explained he bought the brush as a backup in case his old Rooney ever failed him. Never did, and he moved on to electric shavers.

<snip>

Nice brush; great post!

(11-07-2018, 03:08 PM)lu20vt Wrote: What a beauty!, It reminds me  to vintage Kent V10    

You mean the color, not the shape, right?
Hair and colour handle. . They look pretty similar.

[Image: 92debaa5dadc6ec1db9f77f6fdb820f1.jpg]

8 1,860
 11-07-2018, 06:29 PM
User Info
Knot looks incredible bloomed and that handle looks perfect.  Really nice find and collection.

85 451
 11-07-2018, 07:11 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Vintage butterscotch. Beautiful

0 308
 11-07-2018, 08:31 PM
User Info
Thank you all, I appreciate the compliments! That's a lovely Kent V10 too, Luis!

32 907
 11-09-2018, 05:21 PM
User Info
It's been awhile since I've done any pictures with the brush loaded with lather. La Toja shaving cream / shaving soap mix. This was after the second pass with some left over lather that didn't really want to come out of my bowl.

[Image: 4m2QPWc.jpg]

[Image: ZZbawSZ.jpg]

Compared to the 3/3 Finest, that extra weight really makes a difference. My wrist is feeling a bit off and was a bit bothersome, but the knot behaved much as I expected. Very soft, the older brushes always seem to hold onto the water more, and with a wide brush feeling. The glue spike makes it feel odd as I'm used to feeling more of the brush at where it meets the handle, but not so in this case. Almost like it is floating between the handle up to the middle band. That spike really keeps the lather in the upper part of the brush and makes it feel like a cotton ball in use. I've used plenty of brushes with a prominent glue spike, but this one in how it presents in use is unique. I need to use it again when I don't have so much growth to better feel the badger tips.

32 907
 11-10-2018, 05:21 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
VERY nice!  Thanks for sharing.

4 781
 11-11-2018, 08:27 AM
User Info
Nice find! What year would that have been made?

0 208
 11-11-2018, 03:23 PM
User Info
(11-11-2018, 08:27 AM)bennett Wrote: Nice find! What year would that have been made?

I’m not sure the exact year. It was purchased in 1985. Rooney doesn’t have as much info available. The label looks like it’s older, and if Rooney followed other large makers, by 85 I would think the Bakelite handle would no longer be available.

32 907
 11-11-2018, 03:43 PM
User Info
Nice Kent, Love the bloom!

0 45
 Today, 07:26 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Beautiful score Joe! I fell asleep on that auction otherwise it would have cost you quite a bit more. Tongue

156 2,880
 11 hours ago
User Info
(Today, 07:26 AM)blzrfn Wrote: Beautiful score Joe! I fell asleep on that auction otherwise it would have cost you quite a bit more. Tongue

Glad you fell asleep then! Wink

32 907