11-07-2018, 11:09 PM
User Info
AoS is where I got my wet shaving start. I began with the sandalwood kit and then quickly succumbed to soap acquisition disorder (SAD). I've had dozens of samples over the past 5 years, dozens of full size containers. A few years ago I started with the "Soap a week" thread and I try to not repeat a soap, a full rotation taking close to a year. 

But I decided last month, with 5 years of wet shaving quickly approaching (I purchased my kit on Black Friday 2013), I wanted to actually finish the AOS so I've been using only that for over a month now. And I realized that I really should start a thread about it because I have zero complaints about it. It's easy to lather, and I get great shaves every time, with a pretty solid (not exactly the top but above average) post-shave. And their sandalwood is my favorite of the 5 or so I've tried, scent wise.

It doesn't get mentioned too often, at least partially because it's a P&G product and not a local artisan, and because it's expensive at $25-$30 for a tub of cream. But I have to say, it is still after all the different products I've used, in the top 5. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should replace it when I finish it - maybe with one of the new scents - but with 31 other products (excluding duplicates), I'll show some restraint.

P.S. The aftershave balm is super soothing too.

6 1,006
 11-08-2018, 06:44 PM
User Info
I too got my start in wet shaving at an AoS shop.  I soon discovered more and more products that cost more and more money.  IMO their Sandalwood cream is one of the better ones on the market.  Overall I find AoS in the same league as T&H and G.Trumper performance wise, but I don't care for their scents except sandalwood.  A tub of cream does last a long time, so value is good, but you should look elsewhere if you are considering any hardware from AoS.

1 78
 11-08-2018, 07:11 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
AoS Sandalwood is a GREAT product.

Thanks for bringing up a mention of it. It's prompted me to retrieve mine from "the box in the basement." LOL

63 1,755
 11-08-2018, 07:14 PM
User Info
I too got my start with AOS when my wife had the idea to take me into the store, get a short lesson on how to whip up lather and she bought me the medium sized Sandalwood travel kit that included a pure badger travel brush, a small container of shave cream, pre-shave oil and post shave balm.  I immediately was taken by the scent.  That sent me into a deep spiral of AD's.  And I replaced the little container of cream with a tub of the Sandalwood.  At $25 on sale it's not a bad price at all for the amount you get.  I also agree that it is a top performing cream and in my top 5 as well.  I've been tempted to try some of their other creams but none of the scents do anything for me.  So at this point of all the creams and soap that I own, the only AOS product I have committed to is the sandalwood shave cream.  And it will always be in my den.  The brush that came with the travel kit now sits in a bin as I don't use it.  It's both too small and too floppy for my tastes.  It served it's purpose to get me started but I now have 15 other brushes.  I don't even use it for travel and instead use a Razorock Plissoft as my travel brush.  One scent that I would like to try though is their Lavender shave cream.  I've heard good things about it.  But it will have to compete with TOBS and CF for my attention.  And I also agree that their hardware is 2 to 3 times more expensive than it should be.

0 96
 11-08-2018, 10:08 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
I have the Sandalwood, Ocean Kelp, Unscented, and Peppermint...and the Rose Absolute... (Had several others too).

I agree, their Sandalwood is the best scent of it's kind... I really wish they still made the Cologne.

The Ocean Kelp is great stuff too. Very refreshing, it's chiefly a neroli scent with light herbal nuances... But now that I'm thinking about it, I am pretty sure it's been DISCONTINUED!
$ # | ÷ !!!!
(MUCH BETTER than their newer Bergamot Neroli scented cream, which for me is wayyyyy too sweet.to the point it smells synthetic).

... And the Rose Absolute was THE BEST rose smelling (edit: and performing) cream or soap I've had my hands on (that's a lot). Long been discontinued.

82 3,447
 11-09-2018, 01:51 AM
User Info
I've tried or checked out most of their scents. Their Sandalwood is legendary, but their Oud and the new Bergamot and Nerouli are both very nice scents. 

AoS creams are among the best creams and I've tried just about all of them - post-shave is where I find it has an edge over a lot of popular creams. 

Their balms are pretty nice too, but too expensive.

3 43
 11-09-2018, 03:58 AM
User Info
If you like Ocean Kelp, the auction site has some for 2 for $23.

0 389
 11-14-2018, 05:41 AM
User Info
Those of you with soft water must love AoS even more! I took mine on a trip and the lather really exploded. In fact, when I finished my first pass and rinsed my face, the leftover lather re-lathered! That never happens at home for me. I had a lot of left over lather as a result.

6 1,006
 11-14-2018, 07:11 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I do enjoy AOS creams and have several. Ocean Kelp is probably my favorite, although I do enjoy Sandalwood, Kingsman, Oud, Rose Absolute, Eucalyptus and Peppermint, and I'm thinking of picking up Bergamot Neroli. However, I do find them to be tier 2 creams, and there are many other creams that I feel perform somewhat better. I also like their balms in matching scents, as well as a couple of their EdT's. I also think that they make the best bath soap available. It's expensive, but does come in an oversized bar and it tends to last a long time. I've used many high end bath soaps, but AOS is the best, IMO.

38 5,678
 11-15-2018, 08:35 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
They’re English creams made for P&G. They perform well, like typical English creams but not as concentrated as Castle Forbes or most of the Italian creams. I find that I need to use noticeably more product than more concentrated creams, but otherwise they do very well.

Cheers, Steve

7 610
 11-16-2018, 10:36 PM
User Info
(11-15-2018, 08:35 AM)Steve56 Wrote: They’re English creams made for P&G. They perform well, like typical English creams but not as concentrated as Castle Forbes or most of the Italian creams. I find that I need to use noticeably more product than more concentrated creams, but otherwise they do very well.

Cheers, Steve

I have heard claims like "all English creams come from Creightons" but I don't think it's the case. I find AOS is more concentrated than TOBS, closer to Truefitt & Hill. I'm wondering where CF fits in the rankings (and DRH I haven't used their cream either).

6 1,006
 11-16-2018, 11:00 PM
User Info
From the English creams I've tried and if I include AoS, this is my personal ranking:

1. CF
2. AoS
3. St James/T&H
4. Trumpers
5. ToBS

AoS and St James to me are close, but I would give a slight edge to AoS still. I only have 2 shaves with T&H creams so far but they performed better than Trumpers/ToBS for me and close to St James.

None of the ones in this list are anywhere as concentrated as CF. It's also the one that gives me shaves closest to a good quality soap. Unfortunately none of those really outperform the top tier soaps for me (like T+S, B&M or Wholly Kaw), but still the convenience and fantastic/exclusive scents make me keep a lot of these creams in rotation.

3 43
 11-16-2018, 11:03 PM
User Info
I should add I've never been tempted to try D. R. Harris creams as they're the only ones still offering their scents in tallow soaps, which to me, perform great.

3 43
 11-17-2018, 04:19 AM
User Info
I agree that AOS sandalwood is a fantastic scent, and their shaving cream is excellent.  They blew it by dropping the matching cologne.  I was fortunate enough to pick up an extra bottle off of that cursed auction site.  I also highly recommend trying to find the tallow version of their hard soap, that was sadly discontinued.  It too is an excellent performer....

I carry a tube of their lavender shaving cream when I travel.  You can hand lather it in a pinch.

The AOS Coriander and Cardamon cologne is excellent as well, but it appears that they failed to produce enough shaving cream to meet demand.   

I spoke with an employee in one of their stores, (a few months back), and they are closing brick and mortar stores and will concentrate on selling online.  I for one would have never purchased AOS products if I couldn't have sampled them in a store.  So to summarize:

1.  AOS decides to stop making one of their best colognes.
2.  AOS decides to stop making their excellent tallow based hard soaps.
3.  AOS fails to stock enough shaving cream in one of their better scents.
4.  AOS is closing brick and mortar stores in hopes that their online business will be sufficient.

Best of Luck AOS.....

45 224
 11-17-2018, 04:25 AM
User Info
(11-16-2018, 11:03 PM)DBlitz Wrote: I should add I've never been tempted to try D. R. Harris creams as they're the only ones still offering their scents in tallow soaps, which to me, perform great.

D.R. Harris creams are excellent as well.  Windsor and Marlborough are two of my favorites.....

45 224
 11-17-2018, 04:46 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
+1 for D.R. Harris creams. I like the performance better than Most other English creams.

Cheers, Steve

7 610
 11-17-2018, 06:28 PM
User Info
Those of you who like AoS and  English creams ought to consider the Asylum line of English creams.  They're made by a manufacturer of the big names in English creams.  I've been through a tub of Asylum Charcoal, and I'm nearing the end of a tub of Asylum European Barber Shop.  I'll be getting the Asylum Aloe next.     I've tried TOBS, T&H, Trumper and D.R. Harris, and the Asylum is comparable in performance and superior in scent.  I find the Asylum scents to be fresher and less synthetic than the other English creams.

53 8,232
 Today, 11:47 AM
User Info
AOS sandalwood shaving cream smells significantly better than AOS sandalwood tallow Valobra.

2 47
 9 hours ago
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
(Today, 11:47 AM)anomaly1985 Wrote: AOS sandalwood shaving cream smells significantly better than AOS sandalwood tallow Valobra.
I agree

82 3,447
 1 hour ago
User Info
(11-17-2018, 04:19 AM)Large4mat Wrote: I agree that AOS sandalwood is a fantastic scent, and their shaving cream is excellent.  They blew it by dropping the matching cologne.  I was fortunate enough to pick up an extra bottle off of that cursed auction site.  I also highly recommend trying to find the tallow version of their hard soap, that was sadly discontinued.  It too is an excellent performer....

I carry a tube of their lavender shaving cream when I travel.  You can hand lather it in a pinch.

The AOS Coriander and Cardamon cologne is excellent as well, but it appears that they failed to produce enough shaving cream to meet demand.   

I spoke with an employee in one of their stores, (a few months back), and they are closing brick and mortar stores and will concentrate on selling online.  I for one would have never purchased AOS products if I couldn't have sampled them in a store.  So to summarize:

1.  AOS decides to stop making one of their best colognes.
2.  AOS decides to stop making their excellent tallow based hard soaps.
3.  AOS fails to stock enough shaving cream in one of their better scents.
4.  AOS is closing brick and mortar stores in hopes that their online business will be sufficient.

Best of Luck AOS.....

Yikes! I can't see it being particularly successful as an online-only retailer, but I wouldn't be surprised if AOS decided to close some stores based on sales.

(Today, 11:47 AM)anomaly1985 Wrote: AOS sandalwood shaving cream smells significantly better than AOS sandalwood tallow Valobra.

So true!

6 1,006