11-09-2018, 07:12 AM
User Info
Recently I've started to notice the coarseness of my beard is changing. It's more coarse, doesn't cut easily and overall just a nightmare to deal with. 

This mornings shave was no exception.  My face hurts... I got through one and half passes before switching to a cart.  

I was rolling along for a few months using feathers along with any handle with no problems. 

The only aspects that have changed:

My diet is a lot cleaner and I've lost about 40 pounds.  Other than that... No variables have changed.

Any suggestions, is this normal? It's like I make a pass and little to nothing comes off, tugging occurs, and discomfort begins.  I've been at this for a little over three years... No major issue until now.

7 78
 11-09-2018, 08:17 AM
User Info
IMHO, pre shave oils really help me with tugging, especially around the upper lip and chin.  This is just me though, a lot of people don't like them.

0 343
 11-09-2018, 08:20 AM
User Info
(11-09-2018, 08:17 AM)asiliski Wrote: IMHO, pre shave oils really help me with tugging, especially around the upper lip and chin.  This is just me though, a lot of people don't like them.

That was the next thing I plan on trying. Any specific oil work better for you?

7 78
 11-09-2018, 08:33 AM
User Info
I would start with some olive oil from the kitchen then if you want to buy something else go from there.  A lot of preshave oils are castor oil based (mine included) which is much thicker.  No need to buy from someone if straight olive oil works though.

0 343
 11-09-2018, 08:45 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I found that the texture of my beard became courser, with the whiskers feeling "harder" as the color of the hair changed from brown to white. I shave more slowly and deliberately now which seems to have helped a lot.

Congratulations on your weight loss! That's a significant number Smile

10 3,115
 11-09-2018, 08:59 AM
User Info
(11-09-2018, 08:45 AM)chazt Wrote: I found that the texture of my beard became courser, with the whiskers feeling "harder" as the color of the hair changed from brown to white. I shave more slowly and deliberately now which seems to have helped a lot.

Great... I'm turning grey. 

Thanks for the congrats, I swear this isn't a passive brag. I'd rather be fat and have a soft beard.

7 78
 11-09-2018, 10:45 AM
User Info
Best preshave I've ever used............hair conditioner.  Rub it all over my face when I'm in the shower and let is sit on there while I am soaping up/rinsing. 

Softens up the beard like nothing else, IME.

15 624
 11-09-2018, 11:06 AM
User Info
I wonder how much your diet change has had to do with the change in hair texture. Surely it would have at least something to do with it. Are you taking supplements as well?

8 432
 11-09-2018, 11:16 AM
User Info
(11-09-2018, 11:06 AM)vigilantesd Wrote: I wonder how much your diet change has had to do with the change in hair texture. Surely it would have at least something to do with it. Are you taking supplements as well?

No supplements needed. All my macros are accounted for.  I'm really hoping the oil suggestion helps. 

My other thought is if my face has been changing shape...i guess the angle could be impacted. 

I'm all for exploring options, but if they are painful I may be using a cart for awhile.

7 78
 11-09-2018, 12:52 PM
User Info
I periodically get barber shaves.  One barber at AoS told me that everyone's beard gets tougher as we age.

53 8,218
 11-09-2018, 01:24 PM
User Info
(11-09-2018, 08:45 AM)chazt Wrote: I found that the texture of my beard became courser, with the whiskers feeling "harder" as the color of the hair changed from brown to white. I shave more slowly and deliberately now which seems to have helped a lot.

Hah! You shave slower and more deliberate..... what's that got to do with you walking slower  Dodgy 
When I started going to white EVERYTHING I did/do got slower. Except traffic, it's faster. Tongue

0 799
 11-09-2018, 09:37 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I guess getting older has some benefits meaning I'm more patient shaving than I used to be or maybe just enjoy the leisure time spent? As my face has turned more like a road map, with so many paths to follow, the razor also needs to follow those lines more deliberately and sometimes the blades pull more as well.

0 306
 11-10-2018, 06:29 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-09-2018, 01:24 PM)zipper Wrote:

Hah! You shave slower and more deliberate..... what's that got to do with you walking slower  Dodgy 
When I started going to white EVERYTHING I did/do got slower. Except traffic, it's faster. Tongue

Yep, I agree. Not only faster but more perilous, what with people talking and texting while driving. To counter the craziness, I’ve intentionally lightened up on the gas pedal in the last dozen years. Safety behind the wheel is Nothing to be taken lightly.

10 3,115
 11-10-2018, 09:18 AM
User Info
If you can only get through 1.5 passes with a DE/SE - something may be up with either the blade (dull, pushing it for too many shaves) or the prep (loading too fast, using too little soap, not adding enough water, adding too much water). Doesn’t matter how tough your beard is, combine a sharp blade with a quality soap lathered up well and you won’t get tugging. That you can switch to a cart and finish out the shave comfortably confirms my thoughts. I’d focus on your prep - ensure your loading enough soap and taking your time to build a hydrated lather. You’re not doing anything crazy, like going ATG on the first pass are you?

29 1,567
 11-10-2018, 04:42 PM
User Info
(11-10-2018, 09:18 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: If you can only get through 1.5 passes with a DE/SE - something may be up with either the blade (dull, pushing it for too many shaves) or the prep (loading too fast, using too little soap, not adding enough water, adding too much water). Doesn’t matter how tough your beard is, combine a sharp blade with a quality soap lathered up well and you won’t get tugging. That you can switch to a cart and finish out the shave comfortably confirms my thoughts. I’d focus on your prep - ensure your loading enough soap and taking your time to build a hydrated lather. You’re not doing anything crazy, like going ATG on the first pass are you?

Atg on the first pass?

No way! I've had the same routine for a few years now so I'm not sure what might be different. 

I only use a blade twice.  Maybe cold weather and dry skin

7 78
 Yesterday, 12:13 PM
User Info
Yeah, my beard got tougher too when it turned white. I think it's just the aging process, old timer!

1 284
 Yesterday, 01:18 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I have to refer back to this thread as I was just at a barber/stylist a week ago and she told me our beards get courser as we go vintage.  I'm sure that the solution that'll be best will be your pre shave routine whatever it is that'll make you happy with the end product.

0 306
 Yesterday, 05:50 PM
User Info
Have similar issues. Coarser beard with soft skin. Tried the shave oil that I ditched years earlier. Still made no difference. Sharper blade helped. I used to not like Feathers. Love them now. Also the skin is less elastic as we age so easier for to to move and help create a drag. I would think the weight loss would also leave more pockets in your face and skin that was once fuller Stretching helps me a bit more. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 10