11-09-2018, 09:12 AM
User Info
My experience with double edge blades is that they dull very, very quickly. I'm very fortunate to get two full uses out of new DE blades now days. On the third full use of a new DE blade, I seem to start cutting and slicing up my face. So, that makes me wonder if others are experiencing this same unusually short blade edge life too. I'm also wondering if there are any DE blades out there that have a longer than average blade life, or are they all pretty much the same in this regard? I'm also wondering if single edge blade life might be longer (overall) than DE blades, such as single edge Schick Injector or GEM type blades? Anyone else experiencing this same thing too, or is it just me?
Thanks

0 111
 11-09-2018, 09:46 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I'm DE shaving for less than five years so my frame of reference is only recent. I generally use Med Preps, IPs, Crystals and Lab Blues, with a smattering of Gillette blades thrown in for good measure. Most blades give only 2-3 good, smooth shaves before they're unusable. A "good" Med Prep will sometimes make it to a fourth shave. Also, I find that blades are razor dependent. My ikon B1 OSS and Evolution razors tend to extend functional blade life.

10 3,120
 11-09-2018, 10:53 AM
User Info
I get three to four with most blades, Derby is one or two. Razor DOES make a difference in my opinion and SOAP too.
Feather,PolSilver,Kai,Personna,Timor,Croma are four days.

0 799
 11-09-2018, 12:26 PM
User Info
I use either Feathers or GSB's and I get 10-12 shaves out of them.

0 76
 11-09-2018, 12:49 PM
User Info
I only use blades once.

53 8,221
 11-09-2018, 02:55 PM
User Info
I routinely get ~14, and have gotten 30+. I changed the blade at 30iah out of boredom, still shaves fine. That was a Wizamet Iridium Super Extra Stainless.

8 432
 11-09-2018, 03:25 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
I use GSB and Nacets the most, but also have some Gillette 7 O'Clock Blacks, Feathers, Personna Reds, Crystals, and Astra SP. I shave six days a week and change my blade once a week, but it always feels like I could keep using it if I wanted to.

4 477
 11-09-2018, 03:41 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Back when I began wet shaving I tried practically every brand made, settled on 4 or 5 as the best for me and got 3 to 5 uses from one typically. For the last several years I use vintage blades exclusively,  several makes, and get anywhere from 12 or 14 shaves to over 30 depending on the model. I can go into my dissertation as to why but I'll  save that for special request and access to the larger keys of my laptop.

8 2,531
 11-09-2018, 05:56 PM
User Info
I was able to get 3-5 shaves from my favorite DE blades: GSB’s, & persona reds.

29 1,568
 11-09-2018, 06:43 PM
User Info
The number of shaves I get varies with the blade, which I'm sure is everyone's experience.

Polsilvers - about 6 - 7 shaves per.  GSBs - about 4 - 5.  And less with less expensive or quality blades.  5 - 6 I'd say is a reasonable average for the blades I own.  I've since discarded all those blades that only got me 2 - 3 shaves per blade.  Just wasn't worth the irritation and weepers they gave me.

I haven't noticed any change in those stats though.  My experience has been fairly consistent for the past 3 years I've been wet shaving.

0 450
 11-09-2018, 09:31 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
About 10 years ago I got into wet shaving and the reason was for a better shave and I find that I still get a better shave and enjoy changing blades once a week no matter what.

0 308
 11-10-2018, 04:52 AM
User Info
Thats one of the things that pushed me more towards straights.  I can easily get a month of shaves out of a Feather AC or Kai Titan blade, whereas no DE blade lasted me more than 3 shaves without getting tuggy.

0 98
 11-10-2018, 06:24 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-09-2018, 03:41 PM)Mouser Wrote: Back when I began wet shaving I tried practically every brand made, settled on 4 or 5 as the best for me and got 3 to 5 uses from one typically. For the last several years I use vintage blades exclusively,  several makes, and get anywhere from 12 or 14 shaves to over 30 depending on the model. I can go into my dissertation as to why but I'll  save that for special request and access to the larger keys of my laptop.

Well then, please consider this a special request. I have been tempted to experience vintage blades on more than one occasion, and will value your thoughts on the subject.

10 3,120
 11-10-2018, 09:14 AM
User Info
Beards get coarser over time therefore blade life will diminish.

56 1,297
 11-10-2018, 09:26 AM
User Info
(11-09-2018, 09:12 AM)punchy Wrote: My experience with double edge blades is that they dull very, very quickly. I'm very fortunate to get two full uses out of new DE blades now days. On the third full use of a new DE blade, I seem to start cutting and slicing up my face. So, that makes me wonder if others are experiencing this same unusually short blade edge life too. I'm also wondering if there are any DE blades out there that have a longer than average blade life, or are they all pretty much the same in this regard? I'm also wondering if single edge blade life might be longer (overall) than DE blades, such as single edge Schick Injector or GEM type blades? Anyone else experiencing this same thing too, or is it just me?
Thanks

Cutting/slicing up your face signals a lapse in technique, not necessarily a dull blade. As the blade ages through use and being exposed to water & air, it will cut less efficiently and perhaps start tugging a bit.

29 1,568
 11-10-2018, 04:48 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(11-10-2018, 06:24 AM)chazt Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 03:41 PM)Mouser Wrote: Back when I began wet shaving I tried practically every brand made, settled on 4 or 5 as the best for me and got 3 to 5 uses from one typically. For the last several years I use vintage blades exclusively,  several makes, and get anywhere from 12 or 14 shaves to over 30 depending on the model. I can go into my dissertation as to why but I'll  save that for special request and access to the larger keys of my laptop.

Well then, please consider this a special request. I have been tempted to experience vintage blades on more than one occasion, and will value your thoughts on the subject.

Will do Charlie. It will have to be tomorrow though.

8 2,531
 11-11-2018, 01:42 AM
User Info
Depending on the blade and razor I get 7-8 shaves and then change due to boredom. 
At higher number of users I only notice drop in efficiency, not smoothness. Except for Derbys, those are mean.

3 84
 11-11-2018, 12:46 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
•  KAI Stainless DE blades:  typically 6-8 shaves, modal 6.
•  Feather Hi-Stainless blades:  typically 5-6 shaves, modal 5.
•  Feather MR3neo cartridges:  typically 12 to 15 shaves, modal 12.
•  Using Mystic Water shaving soap throughout a blade’s useful life typically adds an extra shave per blade; I do not know why.

I do not stop using a blade according to a predetermined schedule; if a blade tells me that it’s done at three shaves or fewer, I accept the verdict; if it gives me an efficient clean shave on the eighth or later shave, I give it a chance to extend the string.  Following the Two Dozen Rule, I auditioned a lot of different DE blades, including GSBs, Polsilver SIs, and Rapira SSSs, before settling on KAI and Feather blades only.  These days I use only Japanese-made razor blades.  

1 1,274