11-09-2018, 09:58 AM
User Info
It appears that the relentless march to add more blades has temporarily come to an end at Gillette.  On Wednesday, they announced a new razor cartridge that fits Fusion handles but has only TWO blades for dudes with sensitive skin.

But no surprise, it will cost about the same as the 5-blade Fusion carts (so it will help protect my PG dividend going forward).  Suggested retail is $8 for a handle with one cart and $18 for a pack of four carts.

It should be on the shelves in December in time for Santa to shave with it while protecting his frost-bitten face.

Keep clam,
Terry

Moderator Note:  Links to websites not affiliated with TSN removed.

0 55
 01-01-2019, 09:32 AM
User Info
If you want to try this out, Gillette is offering free samples in limited quantities.

Moderator Note:  Link to website not affiliated with TSN deleted.

Terry

0 55
 01-01-2019, 09:44 AM
User Info
Betcha samples of these will go out in Bevel's next subscription mailing.

3 847
 01-01-2019, 10:52 AM
User Info
Hmm.. no option to have them ship to Norway (or outside the US at all). Shame, would be fun to try and compare to the Sensor I started shaving with way back when.

3 6,142
 01-13-2019, 07:09 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Actually tried this today and I don,t think I have ever had such a smooth face....just for the record I always use a DE razor and finish up with a Fusion on my jaw line and neck area...I,m going to compare this with a regular Fusion and this new one next time and I,ll report back...has only 2 blades with some space between them and various other pieces...at any rate it seems to work just like they say and for me I can use the blade in this manner for a month or more so cost is no big deal...only place i could find the blades was at Rite Aid and the cost is $4.24 per blade (package of 4)....so what the hell why not try it has always been my game plan.....Actually just did that and for my touch up the Skin Guard is better....Kind of like a Sensor  modified...at any rate I like it for my shaving tool set.

6 2,117
 01-18-2019, 03:34 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Thanks for your thoughts!
I might have to give this a try, as I'm traveling a bit for work nowadays. I usually bring the trusty Sensor Excel, but wouldn't mind checking out another option.

84 3,590
 01-22-2019, 10:41 AM
  • Nero
User Info
I used this for the first time last night. Definitely a safe option, I can't imagine nicking the skin.
Not the closest shave in the world. But definitely acceptable, and very comfortable and brainless to use.

I'll use it some more and post some update thoughts in due time.

At this point, I prefer the Sensor Excel (...and honestly I don't need anything safer than that, haha, so all else equal the Excel is my current preference for carts still).

84 3,590
 01-23-2019, 08:09 AM
User Info
$4.24 per balde? Ouch, I am happy I am not using those type of razors anymore.

1 70
 01-25-2019, 11:50 AM
User Info
(01-23-2019, 08:09 AM)Midoio Wrote: $4.24 per balde? Ouch, I am happy I am not using those type of razors anymore.

Good for you.

0 311
 01-26-2019, 09:57 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(01-25-2019, 11:50 AM)Sabre Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 08:09 AM)Midoio Wrote: $4.24 per balde? Ouch, I am happy I am not using those type of razors anymore.

Good for you.

Not that $4.24 isn,t "money" but I only use mine for the final pass and the blades never seem to wear out....at least for my purpose...however each to their own.....all of this "stuff' we have are only tools so to speak for our shaving tool kit.....at least that is what a shrink would say no doubt......

6 2,117
 01-26-2019, 10:34 AM
User Info
A mechanic might say that blades are tools, but a psychologist would be much more interested in the behavior patterns and mental processes of the person using them.

33 1,766
 01-26-2019, 05:24 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(01-26-2019, 10:34 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: A mechanic might say that blades are tools, but a psychologist would be much more interested in the behavior patterns and mental processes of the person using them.

Interesting....knew I  lost it after my 200 th..razor....Oh well still cheaper than one Porsche

6 2,117
 02-02-2019, 02:34 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(01-26-2019, 09:57 AM)Harvey Wrote: ... I only use mine for the final pass...

I might have to try it like that.

I used it for my 3rd full shave yesterday... And while it is okay, it really does not deliver a close shave with multiple passes.

One thing I really like is the quality of the single blade on the back side.

In sum though for me... I was traveling this week, and used the Sensor Excel, which, I have to say again, is a much better quality shave than this new SkinGuard. Ymmv.

84 3,590
 02-04-2019, 04:48 PM
User Info
(11-09-2018, 09:58 AM)pantograph Wrote: But no surprise, it will cost about the same as the 5-blade Fusion carts (so it will help protect my PG dividend going forward).  Suggested retail is $8 for a handle with one cart and $18 for a pack of four carts.

LOL that makes me think this is a b.s. product that they're putting out so the marketing teams can advertise that "We listened, you want 5 blades!"
They could have made a more useful product and rejiggered a Mach3 to fit on a Fusion handle instead. Speaking of, why not make the SkinGuard the price of a Mach3? Oh right, because it's Gillette.

6 1,048
 02-04-2019, 06:47 PM
User Info
I've said this on the other sites.  I plan on trying the SkinGuard as an alternative to my well used Mach 3 and my as yet untested Gillette Guard.  I'd like to see which of these three carts gives me the best shave.

1 199
 02-05-2019, 10:38 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I honestly don't know why they don't just make a cart with a single blade and a huge lather slot.

(Actually the Guard is that, but I'm not a fan of its loose pivot... If they made the pivot tighter and used the same single blade from the SkinGuard, it would be a real force to be reckoned with.)

84 3,590
 02-06-2019, 09:16 AM
User Info
(02-04-2019, 04:48 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 09:58 AM)pantograph Wrote: But no surprise, it will cost about the same as the 5-blade Fusion carts (so it will help protect my PG dividend going forward).  Suggested retail is $8 for a handle with one cart and $18 for a pack of four carts.

LOL that makes me think this is a b.s. product that they're putting out so the marketing teams can advertise that "We listened, you want 5 blades!"
They could have made a more useful product and rejiggered a Mach3 to fit on a Fusion handle instead. Speaking of, why not make the SkinGuard the price of a Mach3? Oh right, because it's Gillette.

So what should Gillette produce to maintain their market share? Do car manufacturers just retail the same old models or do they innovate?

0 311
 02-07-2019, 04:34 AM
User Info
Received my promotional Skin Guard Razor from Gillette and did a one pass shave and then finished off with a Feather Adjustable. The Skin Guard shaves pretty good as it fits the Fusion handle. The cost to replace cartridges is ridiculous but Gillette is out to make money.

145 14,010
 02-12-2019, 12:20 AM
User Info
(02-06-2019, 09:16 AM)Sabre Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 04:48 PM)Gig103 Wrote:

So what should Gillette produce to maintain their market share? Do car manufacturers just retail the same old models or do they innovate?

I proposed an alternative -- a Mach 3 compatible with a Fusion Flexball handle instead of the Skinguard. Or create the SkinGuard and don't charge the same as the Fusion cartridges for fewer blades (punishing those with sensitive skin).

I don't see how you could call the SkinGuard "innovative" anyway, considering Gillette introduced the twin-blade Trac-II in 1971 and the twin-blade Sensor in 1990.

DSC, Harry's, and Dorco are winning on price (and DSC on advertising connecting with younger shavers). If Gillette wants to maintain their market share they will need to suck it up and compete at that $2 level. The SkinGuard is/was their chance to do that without diluting the Fusion lineup.

Also, it's worth pointing out that Fusions are only $2.38/each right now at Costco, so Gillette is willing to sell them at that price point. Of course when Fusion debuted in 2005 they were $5 each, that wholesale price didn't drop until DSC came on the scene in 2011.

6 1,048
 02-24-2019, 04:39 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
I used the new Gillette SkinGuard with the Fusion ProGlide Power handle with FlexBall support, in the SilverTouch color.

Being a project for sensitive skin, the depth of cut is lower than that of a model with more blades such as Fusion ProGlide (for me, the most efficient!).

But the biggest difference is in the lubricating strips (lubrastrip).
They are very effective.
Too much!!

In the normal technique of classic shaving, it does not work and is harmful.
It does not allow to grip the skin, to apply the necessary traction complementary to the use of the razor.
And this translates into a less effective passage, which leaves some foam.
Partial and inefficient solution, clean the blade after each movement.
But the result and the loss of time have led me to a more determined choice.

Gillette SkinGuard deFusion
[Image: p9AGh0n.jpg]

But in practice, Gillette SkinGuard deFusion is more comfortable in classic shaving.
Today I found the usual comfort and speed.

By avoiding the problem of skin traction, the performance was better.
Slightly better depth, excellent usual comfort.

As proof that the lubrication strips (lubrastrip) are in most accessories.
For me, pleonastic!

0 1,619