11-10-2018, 12:20 PM
User Info
Anyone who uses the ABC after shave balms ?

How thick are they in consitency ?

Are they runny like GFT Skinfood or thicker like the Proraso balms ?

Thanks !

25 6,387
 11-10-2018, 01:43 PM
User Info
A little thicker than the consistency of heavy whipping cream

8 432
 11-10-2018, 01:57 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Claus the Apricot is their thickest and best (IMHO). Thicker than skin food for sure and similar to the most familiar balms.

The others (almond, green tobacco and sandalwood) are more like true milks and thinner.

174 1,595
 11-10-2018, 03:07 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
Im looking for a good winter ASB. Does anyone know where I can obtain a sample of the apricot ASB?

Im unwilling to pay the $pendy price of a bottle as a blind buy.

63 1,751
 11-10-2018, 03:36 PM
User Info
(11-10-2018, 01:57 PM)Steelman Wrote: Claus the Apricot is their thickest and best (IMHO). Thicker than skin food for sure and similar to the most familiar balms.

The others (almond, green tobacco and sandalwood) are more like true milks and thinner.

I would say you're spot on. I think the apricot was a bit more balmy (a bit thicker) but the other three are a tad bit more on the balsam, milky consistency.

(11-10-2018, 03:07 PM)MaxP Wrote: Im looking for a good winter ASB.  Does anyone know where I can obtain a sample of the apricot ASB?

Im unwilling to pay the $pendy price of a bottle as a blind buy.

Max, I know they do put together sample sized aftershaves together but I am not sure if they are available for purchase. So maybe put out a wtb ad and if anything comes to mind, I'll PM any details.

83 1,604
 11-10-2018, 09:04 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Use ABC balms exclusively and have them all. Guess if pressed one would have to rank apricot thicker but really parsing to do so. Skip a day between uses and not look carefully at bottle would be difficult to determine difference in viscosity amongst the entire line. One thing is certain, almond can sting. BUT any of them is better than any other product used to date and tried them all cheap to outrageously expensive. The quality is so good can use it year round in the deep south even running 10 miles daily outdoors without skin issues.

If had to rank:
Apricot just a hair better like maybe 0,5%
Tobacco and sandalwood tied
Almond just as good as tobacvo/sandalwood but sometimes has a slight sting at first

All four scents are mild and fade away in minutes as they should

All heal the face incredibly without greasy or sticky residual effects

All crazy expensive and worth every scent

Be wary of guys selling used as have had 2 bottles either doctored with other ingredients or outright fakes.

Forgot to address your question. Used gft skin food not nearly as good and gft like water compared to abc. Proraso closer viscosity and not nearly as good in any realm but it is my bargain best. For $10 is outstanding and in eu can be had for like 3 euros. Institut karite is another to consider and sometimes use as a moisturizer but leaves weird residue unless perspiring heavily. Not nearly as good an as balm maybe step below proraso in that regard but great moisturizer

3 288
 11-10-2018, 10:19 PM
User Info
Thanks to all.

I have tried pretty much all AS balms, except ABC, and I'm NOT looking for a thicker balm than GFT skinfood, as I don't need more care than precisely what GFT Skinfood gives me, as I - as mentioned earlier - use minimum 1 facial high quality cream after I have applied Thayers WH, AS Splash and AS Balm.

This is why the consistency of the ABC AS balm is so important for me to know about.

My other favourite AS balm - other than my 4 GFT Skinfoods - is the Clinique Post Shave Healer, which is a very thin runny balm with Aloe Vera.

I avoid the Proraso like thick balms, for obvious reasons: I use 1-2 high quality facial creams/wrinkle creams at the end of my shaving ritual (right now I use in rotation Helena Rubinstein, Osmium and Lancome face creams/wrinkle creams)

25 6,387
 11-11-2018, 12:39 AM
User Info
This is very interesting to me as I use the same regime as Claus. Although, I’m open to a thicker balm.

29 1,563
 11-11-2018, 02:25 AM
User Info
Keep in mind that Proraso adds micro plastics to their a.s. balms.

Great after shave balms imo:

all AdP balms,(I have their unscented and Colonia intensa)
Penhaligon’s (have only their Sartorial line balm)
Terre d’Hérmès balm
Simpsons balm

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 156
 11-11-2018, 07:52 AM
User Info
(11-11-2018, 02:25 AM)apogee. Wrote: Keep in mind that Proraso adds micro plastics to their a.s. balms.

Interesting statement, source?

29 1,563
 11-11-2018, 08:23 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Claus - I don't think you'd be disappointed in any of the ABC balms.  I consider them all on the "thin" side compared to most of the balms on the market. So for your particular technique, I think you'd enjoy them.

The green tobacco is a personal favorite of mine.  Wonderful, traditional Italian scent that you don't find often.  It is a similar consistency to the skin food, maybe just slightly thicker, but should fit into your routine very well.

ABC green tobacco paired with RL Polo Purple Label EdT (wonderful green tobacco flower note) is one of my favorite combinations.

174 1,595
 11-11-2018, 08:30 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
My routine by necessity given terrible disfigurment, highly sensitive skin, tough local environment and proclivity for outdoors athletic pursuits.

Wash face twice daily Phisoderm Sens Skin

Post shave:
Leave soap on face during equipment cleanup

Rinse thoroughly cold water

Alum stick

Witch hazel

Pitralon AS

ABC balm

But my perspective based on your desire for nothing more viscous than GFT is ABC not for you as it is slightly more vuscous than Proraso. Will state though unlike any other balm, it leaves absolutely zero residue if it matters. Again use it year round here in Deep South

3 288
 11-11-2018, 12:13 PM
User Info
(11-11-2018, 08:23 AM)Steelman Wrote: Claus - I don't think you'd be disappointed in any of the ABC balms.  I consider them all on the "thin" side compared to most of the balms on the market. So for your particular technique, I think you'd enjoy them.

The green tobacco is a personal favorite of mine.  Wonderful, traditional Italian scent that you don't find often.  It is a similar consistency to the skin food, maybe just slightly thicker, but should fit into your routine very well.

ABC green tobacco paired with RL Polo Purple Label EdT (wonderful green tobacco flower note) is one of my favorite combinations.

Thanks Ron,

I will give the ABC Green Tobacco AS Balm a go and let my girlfriend know it's on my Christmas list  Wink

25 6,387
 11-11-2018, 12:28 PM
User Info
(11-11-2018, 08:30 AM)DanLaw Wrote: My routine by necessity given terrible disfigurment, highly sensitive skin, tough local environment and proclivity for outdoors athletic pursuits.

Wash face twice daily Phisoderm Sens Skin

Post shave:
Leave soap on face during equipment cleanup

Alum stick

Witch hazel

Pitralon AS

ABC balm

But my perspective based on your desire for nothing more viscous than GFT is ABC not for you as it is slightly more vuscous than Proraso. Will state though unlike any other balm, it leaves absolutely zero residue if it matters. Again use it year round here in Deep South

My post shave ritual goes like this:

Rinse with cold water
Apply Thayers Witch Hazel
Apply after shave splash (right now I'm monster using a bottle of Pitralon Swiss) 
Apply after shave balm (right now I'm using a 200 ml bottle of GFT skinfood Coral)

[WINTER ONLY:Apply a thin moisturiser (right now it's a thin Clinique Gel for men):ONLY WINTER]

Apply an anti-wrinkle cream (right now I'm using Helena Rubinstein)
Apply an eye cream (right now it's Lancome Men Eye cream)

Take a HUGE zip of either a Single Malt whisky, a Dark rum, a Gin&Tonic/Negroni/Boulevardier/GinMartiniTonic, a glass of red wine, a dark ale/stout beer or a glass of champagne and RELAX.

FINITO !

25 6,387
 11-11-2018, 02:52 PM
User Info
I just opened a bottle of the Tobacco ABC today, and I love it!

It’s very top tier wonderful stuff!

You will be happy Claus!

Vr

Matt

13 535
 Yesterday, 01:13 PM
User Info
Does the current Proraso after shave balm have micro plastics?

Here is the ingredients list:

Aqua, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Octyldodecanol, Trilaureth-4 Phosphate, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Camphor, Menthol, Eucalyptol, Eucalyptus globulus Leaf Oil, Methyl Lactate, Sodium Benzoate, Parfum, Tocopheryl Acetate, Allantoin, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Coumarin, Limonene

Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer is micro plastic.

Oh. Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate is there as well.
I still have to check out this substance.
At least they skipped three or four parabenes they had in the old formulation.

0 156
 Yesterday, 03:02 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 01:13 PM)apogee. Wrote: Does the current Proraso after shave balm have micro plastics?

Here is the ingredients list:

Aqua, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Octyldodecanol, Trilaureth-4 Phosphate, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Camphor, Menthol, Eucalyptol, Eucalyptus globulus Leaf Oil, Methyl Lactate, Sodium Benzoate, Parfum, Tocopheryl Acetate, Allantoin, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Coumarin, Limonene

Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer is micro plastic.

Oh. Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate is there as well.
I still have to check out this substance.
At least they skipped three or four parabenes they had in the old formulation.

Disturbing news to say the least, Sir Apogee.

I own all 3 Proraro balms. This is not positive reading at all.
I consider throwing them all out now.

What about the Proraso AS splashes; are they okay ?

25 6,387
 Yesterday, 03:24 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 01:13 PM)apogee. Wrote: Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer is micro plastic

Everything I can find on AAAC is that its used as a thickening agent. I’m not finding references to micro plastics, except on fear-mongering sites.

29 1,563
 Yesterday, 03:42 PM
User Info
AAAC are micro plastics.
Yes, they are in fact used as thickening agents.
AAAC is used to build films.

Fear mongering sites like nature?

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep46687

0 156
 Yesterday, 03:50 PM
User Info
I’ve come to realize based on this discussion that I don’t know nearly enough about these more complicated ingredients.

10 340