11-10-2018, 02:29 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Greetings from Sydney Australia

This is a recent acquisition, and I have no doubt others saw it on THAT site. Some family members got together and purchased this for my forthcoming 60th birthday. Smile I'd have not purchased it given the crazy, exorbitant costs to ship from the USA to Australia, but many hands make light work!

This is a beautiful, small (17mm knot) Benwell (London) brush in Best Badger ( and tremendously soft it is) with a lovely yellow-green horn handle, in mint, unused condition. It still has the stamps and markings, and came in the original box. I date this brush to about 1945. Please let me know if you think differently.

I found two other mentions of the brush only: one over on the other shaving website  Smile but with few details, and another here in the Nook - same brush in a different cola colour, with US markings on the back. Dave, of course is the owner. Smile 

Other than that, there is little information about Benwell except in the pages of the 1949 British Industries Fair (https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im194...enwell.jpg)

I gave the hair a clean and put a dab on neatsfoot oil on the handle, explaining the shininess. Pictures:

[Image: rcUIOD9.jpg]
[Image: 7zpQ3ox.jpg]
[Image: C9H0Qjk.jpg]
[Image: xURxiul.jpg]

0 1,982
 11-10-2018, 02:51 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Great find Shaun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 725
 11-10-2018, 03:00 PM
User Info
Nice brush!

0 389
 11-10-2018, 03:09 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Trust Dave (from the Couv) doesn't mind my having purloined his images for archival and research purposes. Smile 

You'll see Dave has the same brush, but stamped on the back with markings: "Charles Goldblatt & Co. 521 Fifth Avenue New York" (my research drew a blank). It came in the same box (!) and Dave's is a rich, cola colour. Very nice indeed. I had to enhance the image to bring the lettering out.

[Image: TJTSZDP.jpg]
[Image: 319a8yX.jpg]

0 1,982