11-11-2018, 06:55 AM
User Info
I have been shaving for a long long time.  My first shaves were with a safety razor in 1969.  I quickly graduated to a schick injector.  There were the dark years with Gillette carts but in my defense I had a beard for most of my adult life so shaving was less important.  I returned to wetshaving and a clean face 6 years ago, and I seem to buy soaps in batches and then not buy anything for a few years.  My favorites for the last few years are:  Mickey Lee Soapworks; Through the Fire Fine Craft; Soap Commander; and Barrister and Mann.  I have to add that I really miss Strop Shoppe and that I think that Mystic Water has the very best after shave feel of all, but is a very fickle soap to lather.  I do have two of the more expensive imports:  Valobra and Santa Maria di Novella.  They are both excellent but no better than the domestic artisan soaps.  

I am also very scent sensitive.  A great soap with an intolerable scent is worthless to me.  I tend to like citrus scents and stay away from the cologne scents.

In the 18 months since I last purchased a batch of soaps there are many new quality players in the market.  Wholly Kaw seems to be at the top of many lists so my first new purchase was the Wholly Kaw Pompelmo.  My first impression is that the grapefruit scent is pleasant but mild.  I always prefer mild to overwhelming but this was in the very mild category.  I did my normal morning prep and my Blackland Sabre L2 was locked and loaded.  My normal technique is to face lather and first apply a thick soap paste to my face, then adding a few drops of water at a time to my brush until I make the perfect lather.  Making the paste with the WK was easy but this is one thirsty soap.  I started adding a few drop of water at a time and then quickly realized that I was getting nowhere fast.  Uncharacteristically, I dunked the brush in water and applied the brush to my face once again.  With the extra water I was rewarded with a glorious thick, rich and STABLE lather.  (how many lathers start out great only to fall apart?)  The shave was slick and cushioned.  There was plenty of soap for my Sunday morning two pass shave.  Very impressive indeed!!

So, is Wholly Kaw worth the Hype??   My first impression is a most definite YES.  The scent is very pleasant if a bit mild.  The lather was glorious and the shave was superior.  I am not sure if the after shave feel quite matches Mystic Water but in every other way WK tops MW.  And I would put it right up there with my other favorites.  It is too soon to say if it jumps to the top of the list, but there may very well be a new sheriff in town.  

Cheers

6 101
 11-11-2018, 08:01 AM
User Info
It's in my Top 3. Performance is good but many of Mohammads scents are iffy.

0 109
 11-11-2018, 08:15 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Its a good soap.  Maybe great.  If you are not a  "cologne" scent guy then I'd avoid them as the few I've tried are all strong cologne type scents, though I haven't tried Pompelmo

174 1,601
 11-11-2018, 08:25 AM
User Info
His base is one of the best around.

For every great scent he has 3 stinkers. Ymmv

Splashes are nothing short of an alcohol bath.

Anyway, year ago one of the best around. Right now just for the base still a top performer. Not even top 10 if you want soap and splash.

His unscented is still great.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

1 150
 11-11-2018, 08:40 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Wholly Kaw my second but only donkey milk tallow formulae

Grooming Dept far and away best and Mo bringing back some simple citrus scents otherwise not a fan and use scentless only. But as a base ALL his variants are incredible ranked best down:
Lusso
Donkey
Duck
Lamb
Beef

But really like Lusso for summer, donkey spring and fall and duck winter based on their skin enhancing properties. You really need try it

3 324
 11-11-2018, 10:28 AM
User Info
Love it

15 630
 11-11-2018, 10:42 AM
User Info
I’ve only tried one WKDM soap (king of oud), but the performance immediately impressed me. It’s easily one of my top performers.

31 1,630
 11-11-2018, 10:58 AM
User Info
Superb soap. Scents have been pretty good for me. I find them complex enough to be interesting. None have been offensive.

45 1,262
 11-11-2018, 11:44 AM
User Info
I really love man from mayfair.  Great performer.

0 363
 11-13-2018, 03:06 PM
User Info
Love it.  King of Oud is my favorite so far.

0 80
 11-15-2018, 09:39 PM
User Info
WhollyKaw is fantastic soap. It’s number one or two depending on selected scent.

30 298
 11-15-2018, 10:24 PM
User Info
King of Oud and Lav Sublime Concerto smell fantastic and the performance of the soap is top shelf.

3 45
 11-16-2018, 02:59 AM
User Info
I have now had 3 shaves with my WK Pompelmo and I stand by my original impressions.  Super easy to lather, if a bit thirsty for water.  Slick, cushioned shave.  Excellent aftershave feel.  This is a top tier soap that deserves all the hype and accolades.  

In addition to my recent purchase of WK, I have other newly purchased soaps that I have yet to try including:  Sudsy Soapery; Declaration; Oleo; and CRSW.

It will take a few weeks but I will update my findings after giving each soap a fair trial.

6 101
 12-04-2018, 03:26 PM
User Info
Yeah, I think it is my top performing soap... Amazing stuff.

1 46