11-11-2018, 12:28 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
Just had my 4th shave with my Blackland Vector and thought I'd give a few thoughts.  I've tried most of the modern SE razors (artist club) that have come out the last couple of years.  I've only kept one which was the original Mongoose.  I happened to get lucky and get on the wait list for the first run.  Although I like the 'Goose a lot, it takes a couple of shaves for my blade of choice, the feather pro, to tame down.  Once that happens, shaves 3-10 are excellent, but beyond that the edge really starts to dull.

When I saw Shane was releasing the Vector I jumped all over it.  I mean, who doesn't need another razor.  The first thing I noticed when opening the box was a nice looking razor.  I wish for the price it would have been polished, but it is what it is.  Obviously not a deal killer, because I knew that heading in.  I think my biggest concern with the purchase was the handle.  What I thought might be too narrow turned out to be darn near perfect.  The narrow handle along with the smaller head go hand in hand making the Vector a very maneuverable razor.  

As for the first shave, I took it easy the first few strokes and then realized the razor is no where near aggressive.  After that I went to town like I would with a mild razor and never really felt any concern I would cut myself.  Due to a pretty course beard I wound up using a little more pressure than I normally would due to the more mild nature of the razor.  I did my standard 3 pass shave, rubbed a little lotion on, and then a healthy splash of aftershave.  Not a lot of stinging, which was nice.  I don't normally judge a shave until 30-60 minutes later once my skin settles down.  Well, my cheeks were like glass, but my neck needed a little more work in a couple places.  Now that I've gotten in 4 shaves with it, I've been better able to get to those trouble spots.  However, I felt like I kept nicking myself.  My first thought was "great, here comes the blood"!  But I didn't see anything red dripping from under my nose.  When I went e/w & w/e on my neck I was noticing the same thing.   I felt like I kept nicking myself.  Finally I took a close look at the head, rubbed my thumb on the corners and realized that the width of the head is wider than the blade leaving a few millimeters on each side of the razor, and more imortantly, the top cap exposed.  The bottom cap has a rounded corner, but the top cap corners are sharp.  I want to say no big deal, but I did draw a little blood on my last shave due to the contour of my neck and the top cap not cooperating as with other razors.

I'll probably give it a few more shaves to see if I can work through this.  With out the top cap issue, the Vector would be a top 3 razor for me.  Which says a lot as I've tried a fair majority of the razors on the market and have been traditional wet-shaving for many years. 
[Image: wMl3Tqj.jpg]

63 718
 11-12-2018, 07:18 AM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
I am very impressed by this razor.  4th shave this morning (2 head and face, 2 just face) and it is a game changer for me no joke.  I got pinched on my chin on one of the shaves as well, thought it was a nick and saw no blood after waiting a few seconds so I do appreciate you shedding light on this it had me stumped.  I was more worried about the very small amount of blade exposed on the back end of the head that is also visible in the picture you posted but in use the razor is nearly perfect and the small amount of exposed blade never gets close to the skin.  I have to rinse more because the slim head kind of overloads with lather and leaves big trails of cut whiskers and lather faster than I'm used and I prefer using a beefier titanium handle to the stock handle but the shave results have been PHENOMENAL.  I love AC blades and have tried pretty much every modern offering and this one is the first that is actually threatening my King Cobra for top spot.

90 454
 11-12-2018, 08:13 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I've been holding off on these till your reviews come in and hope you guys are getting the feel of the razor more so now. I like the brushes razor and think you've got a beautiful shaver in your hands.

0 344
 11-12-2018, 09:25 AM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
The agile, minimalistic head design is special for sure.  The shave itself is mild if using zero pressure but does not feel threatening if a little pressure is applied to increase efficiency and touching up is very easy and comfortable.  It feels wrong to be able to go over the same spot so many times with an AC blade and not shave a hole in your face but this razor allows it with zero stinging from my aftershave to this point.  Still on my first blade with it so these are still my first impressions but it's very promising to this point.

90 454
 11-12-2018, 10:04 AM
User Info
@ddk13.. I agree
 I like the Vector but the corners are sharp

27 352
 11-12-2018, 01:45 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I just completed my third shave with the Vector and am very pleased. I have a light beard and have tried and used the Artist Club blades in many other razors. Eventually, I had to sell the other razors. Although I liked the shave with my other Artist club razors, I had to be very careful not to cut myself and could not use the razors as a daily driver. I have used the Vector now three days in a row. The result has been to cuts, wheepers or irritation, and a comfortable three pass shave three times in a row. The last two shaves I no longer used short strokes and allowed my mind to wonder during the shave. This razor is a definite keeper and one I will reach for often.

81 1,173
 11-26-2018, 03:31 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
Me too I've problem with the cap, both corner and Kai ProTouch blade.
But Shane@BR is a great guy ...

Quote:Thank you for reaching out to me with these concerns.
Blades should fit snugly on the Vector top cap, but not that tight.
We'll send you a replacement top cap which will also solve the uncomfortable corners.

Thank you!

Shane Swartzlander
Blackland LLC

Two birds with one stone !!
Thumbup

0 1,519
 11-26-2018, 06:47 AM
User Info
I used a feather pro Super in my Vector last night for the first time and all I can say is WOW this combo gave me a very efficient, smooth shave that still feels great this morning. I think I found the right pairing. Shane also replaces my Top cap as I had the same issue as ischiapp Shane’s customer service is top notch.

17 331
 12-02-2018, 04:29 PM
User Info
You just can’t get a bad shave with the Vector. Throw a blade in and get your shave on, plain and simple. No fuss, no muss. But, with the Pro Super this razor is worthy of the shave gods on Mt. Olympus.....

[Image: LAlLCGv.jpg]

1 239
 12-04-2018, 04:29 PM
User Info
The Blackland Vector is probably the best Artist Club SE razor that's been made so far.  My 2nd choice is Colonial Razors' The General.  
For both razors it takes a Feather AC Pro Super blade to get a stubble free 1 pass shave.  Other blades require a 2nd pass, for me to get a clean shave.  
Both are mild razors, and both give me an irritation-free 1 pass shave when using a Feather Pro Super blade.

Another favorite razor, by the same criteria, is the Gillette Tech, using a Feather blade with 2 shims between the blade and the baseplate.  
The 2 shims do for the Gillette Tech what the Pro Super blade does for the Vector and the General; makes possible a clean and comfortable 1 pass shave.

On my Vector razor I use a Durham-Duplex DuBarry handle from the 1920s.  It's 76 mm X 11 mm and weighs 44 grams.
I find it to be among the most agile and maneuverable razor handles ever made.  Of course YMMV, but for me it's a winner.
I tried to like the Vector's handle, but it just didn't suit me; not ergonomically or æsthetically.  FWIW, I didn't like The General's handle either.

[Image: EJdfgQK.jpg][Image: TbgPs2c.jpg]

22 264
 12-06-2018, 09:49 AM
User Info
The General had a horrible handle, IMO.  I use mine with a UFO Titan Fine L.  Perfection.

3 1,936
 12-08-2018, 08:52 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
The new piece has arrived.

Three changes:
1. rounding of the corners
2. smoothing of the pins
3. creation of a light circular border around the pins, under the plane.
[Image: noxHq10.jpg]

The TopCapV2 is absolutely perfect.
As promised, it solves all the initial difficulties of the Blackland Vector.

0 1,519
 12-08-2018, 09:44 AM
User Info
(12-08-2018, 08:52 AM)ischiapp Wrote: The new piece has arrived.

Three changes:
1. rounding of the corners
2. smoothing of the pins
3. creation of a light circular border around the pins, under the plane.
[Image: noxHq10.jpg]

The TopCapV2 is absolutely perfect.
As promised, it solves all the initial difficulties of the Blackland Vector.

I'm glad the new top cap is working better for you! Smile

Just to clarify, the only change made was softening those corners slightly. I changed nothing else about the top cap. Its design is exactly the same as before so it is not considered a new version.

Thanks!

0 802
 12-08-2018, 12:41 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(12-02-2018, 04:29 PM)SteelyEdge Wrote: You just can’t get a bad shave with the Vector. 
Respectfully, I disagree.  No disrespect to Shane and this beautifully sexy razor he's created, but I've used it daily for over a week (swapped blades midway) and I had to sell it and all the AC blades I have.
The razor head is light and nimble and gets into all the awkward corners and spaces (like under my nose), but the shave is not as smooth as my other razors.  My problem isn't so much the razor but the AC blades it uses.  They are far too wide and the sharp corners of the top-cap scrape the skin when I'm shaving the hollows of my neck.  Sorry Shane, but it didn't work for me.

48 2,072
 12-08-2018, 01:28 PM
User Info
(12-08-2018, 12:41 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 04:29 PM)SteelyEdge Wrote: You just can’t get a bad shave with the Vector. 
Respectfully, I disagree.  No disrespect to Shane and this beautifully sexy razor he's created, but I've used it daily for over a week (swapped blades midway) and I had to sell it and all the AC blades I have.
The razor head is light and nimble and gets into all the awkward corners and spaces (like under my nose), but the shave is not as smooth as my other razors.  My problem isn't so much the razor but the AC blades it uses.  They are far too wide and the sharp corners of the top-cap scrape the skin when I'm shaving the hollows of my neck.  Sorry Shane, but it didn't work for me.

No worries! Top cap corners have been solved, but there’s not much I can do about the blades.

0 802