11-11-2018, 08:27 PM
User Info
On a thread I posted earlier, I asked if the Blackland Sabre L1 would make a good choice for a fledgling SE user. Overall, the response was certainly positive.
As mentioned in that thread I have never used and razor with a GEM style blade.

Now, with the introduction of the Blackland Vector, I’m wondering which razor would make for a better introduction into to SE world. I have a Feather DX folding straight in which I use Feather Pro artist club style blades.

I’m going to buy one of these razors- and in time, likely both-but for now, for those of you who have used both, which razor would you recommend?

As a reference point, when I use a DE, I prefer a milder razor, such as a Gillette Tech, Flair Tip SS, or ATT SS Atlas with the M1 baseplate.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

11 487
 11-12-2018, 03:06 AM
User Info
Since you already have the blades, I would start with the vector. Also the shaving angle with the vector is more like a DE vs with Gem style you must ride the top cap.  The vector is smooth, mild SE.  Just my 2 cents worth

17 336
 11-12-2018, 03:41 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Joe, here’s a thought... why not try a Schick injector as an introduction to SE razors? They’re inexpensive, efficient and smooth. I prefer the type I version. It hits my sweet spot.

10 3,163
 11-12-2018, 09:30 AM
User Info
I’ve read that the general is a good, inexpensive intro to SE shaving.

31 1,630
 11-12-2018, 09:59 AM
User Info
It mainly comes down to blade options and aesthetics. For GEMs, you really only have one valid blade option, in my opinion - Personna GEM Stainless PTFE. There are a couple other carbon steel options, but they rust immediately and I don’t think shave differently enough to warrant dealing with it. For some people (like me), having one option is wonderful because you never have to think about it. For tinkerers, one choice is terrible because they can’t compare shaves.

On the other side, there are many kinds of Artist Club blades and they vary wildly in performance. That can be either a headache or a lot of fun depending on the person.

0 802
 11-12-2018, 04:46 PM
User Info
I too like a milder razor. My opinion may be biased because I have tried more AC razors than GEMs but I have found that I do better with AC razors. I'd also second the comments on the blade choice. Of note the guard blades provide a really mild option to dial down aggressive razors for which there is no GEM equivalent.

That said, in my experience so far, no need for a guarded blade in the Vector. Very mild (but also efficient) with a proline.

0 14