11-11-2018, 08:27 PM
User Info
On a thread I posted earlier, I asked if the Blackland Sabre L1 would make a good choice for a fledgling SE user. Overall, the response was certainly positive.
As mentioned in that thread I have never used and razor with a GEM style blade.

Now, with the introduction of the Blackland Vector, I’m wondering which razor would make for a better introduction into to SE world. I have a Feather DX folding straight in which I use Feather Pro artist club style blades.

I’m going to buy one of these razors- and in time, likely both-but for now, for those of you who have used both, which razor would you recommend?

As a reference point, when I use a DE, I prefer a milder razor, such as a Gillette Tech, Flair Tip SS, or ATT SS Atlas with the M1 baseplate.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

12 512
 11-12-2018, 03:06 AM
User Info
Since you already have the blades, I would start with the vector. Also the shaving angle with the vector is more like a DE vs with Gem style you must ride the top cap.  The vector is smooth, mild SE.  Just my 2 cents worth

28 470
 11-12-2018, 03:41 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Joe, here’s a thought... why not try a Schick injector as an introduction to SE razors? They’re inexpensive, efficient and smooth. I prefer the type I version. It hits my sweet spot.

13 3,408
 11-12-2018, 09:30 AM
User Info
I’ve read that the general is a good, inexpensive intro to SE shaving.

34 1,805
 11-12-2018, 09:59 AM
User Info
It mainly comes down to blade options and aesthetics. For GEMs, you really only have one valid blade option, in my opinion - Personna GEM Stainless PTFE. There are a couple other carbon steel options, but they rust immediately and I don’t think shave differently enough to warrant dealing with it. For some people (like me), having one option is wonderful because you never have to think about it. For tinkerers, one choice is terrible because they can’t compare shaves.

On the other side, there are many kinds of Artist Club blades and they vary wildly in performance. That can be either a headache or a lot of fun depending on the person.

0 803
 11-12-2018, 04:46 PM
User Info
I too like a milder razor. My opinion may be biased because I have tried more AC razors than GEMs but I have found that I do better with AC razors. I'd also second the comments on the blade choice. Of note the guard blades provide a really mild option to dial down aggressive razors for which there is no GEM equivalent.

That said, in my experience so far, no need for a guarded blade in the Vector. Very mild (but also efficient) with a proline.

0 14
 12-23-2018, 06:30 PM
User Info
Ok, folks- I’ve been getting AWESOME shaves with the L1 Sabre.

But like almost everyone else, despite my results with one razor, I remain curious about others.

I find the Sabre L1 essentially perfect in regards to aggressiveness/blade feel.

For those who have used both, how much more aggressive/how much more blade feel does the Vector have in comparison to the L1 Sabre?

As an aside, I am able to use the Feather Pro AC blades comfortably in a Feather folding DX razor.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

12 512
 12-23-2018, 06:39 PM
User Info
With a Feather Pro I would say the Vector has just a little more blade feel. Put a Proline or Feather Super Pro in it and the efficiency really jumps for me. I prefer the Sabre Level 2 and a Feather Super Pro in the vector Definitely more blade feel in the Vector with this pairing. Hope this helps

28 470
 01-19-2019, 03:46 AM
User Info
Sold my Asylum Rx and wanting to get a Vector soon. I appreciated the thoughts and info in this thread guys

1 169
 01-26-2019, 08:57 PM
User Info
(01-19-2019, 03:46 AM)Misunderstood Wrote: Sold my Asylum Rx and wanting to get a Vector soon. I appreciated the thoughts and info in this thread guys

If you pick up the Vector, please share your thoughts here. Not sure how the Vector could out shave my Sabre. The Sabre is the best razor I have ever used. Period.

12 512
 01-27-2019, 08:26 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
I, too, would appreciate hearing about the Vector. I have an L2 Sabre that does very well for me.

63 1,841
 01-27-2019, 10:38 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(01-26-2019, 08:57 PM)shaverjoe Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 03:46 AM)Misunderstood Wrote: Sold my Asylum Rx and wanting to get a Vector soon. I appreciated the thoughts and info in this thread guys

If you pick up the Vector, please share your thoughts here. Not sure how the Vector could out shave my Sabre. The Sabre is the best razor I have ever used. Period.

I tried the four of the SE modern razors in the following sequence:

Asylum Rex
Sabre L1 and L2
General
Vector

I normally prefer more aggressive (but not excessively) razors. After a few trials with different blades I ended up keeping them all and these are the pairings that allowed me to arrive keep the four razors:

Vector + Feather Pro Super
Asylum Rex + Feather Guarded
General + Proline
Sabre L2 + the only option of GEM Coated

The order above is my actual preference order given their shaving characteristics. All four allow me to get a BBS shave with little to no irritation, the Sabre L2 offering the most aggressive experience from the four. The Vector actually is my only "carefree" SE razor that gives me the pleasure of using different degrees of pressure, while being very forgiving yet very efficient

122 1,826
 01-27-2019, 12:40 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
(01-27-2019, 10:38 AM)ARGH Wrote: I normally prefer more aggressive (but not excessively) razors. After a few trials with different blades I ended up keeping them all and these are the pairings that allowed me to arrive keep the four razors:

General + Proline

The order above is my actual preference order given their shaving characteristics. All four allow me to get a BBS shave with little to no irritation, the Sabre L2 offering the most aggressive experience from the four. The Vector actually is my only "carefree" SE razor that gives me the pleasure of using different degrees of pressure, while being very forgiving yet very efficient

Thanks for sharing your experience

63 1,841
 01-27-2019, 04:50 PM
User Info
(01-27-2019, 12:40 PM)MaxP Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 10:38 AM)ARGH Wrote: I normally prefer more aggressive (but not excessively) razors. After a few trials with different blades I ended up keeping them all and these are the pairings that allowed me to arrive keep the four razors:

General + Proline

Thanks for sharing your experience

Yes, I appreciate this as well. I now know what my next razor purchase will be. Time to get off the fence.

12 512
 04-08-2019, 08:20 AM
User Info
I have both the original Sabre (I think Level 1) and the Vector - I really like them both, but they're different razors. I used the Vector this morning (Schick Proline blade) - just such an easy close shave without a concern about nicking myself. The Sabre is a heavier razor and I find it take more concentration - it's a different angle of shaving than the Vector or DE razors - but I love using it in my rotation. I don't think you can go wrong with either - I haven't compared the Sabre to any other GEM razor, but the Vector is (for me) SO much better than the SS Colonial, which had way too much drag for me.
Hope this is helpful.
Ian

9 74
 04-09-2019, 04:38 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I recently had my first shave with a Razorock aluminum black hawk SE with a Kai pink.

the black hawk is not an expensive razor but it gave me a great BBS shave without nicks and except for a slip in concentration no irritation.

0 252
 04-09-2019, 09:04 AM
User Info
I tried the Black Hawk (I've really been an idiot about catch-and-release in order to try razors)... found it way too light for me - the sabre is really substantial - the vector is lighter, but significantly heavier than the BH and, to me, easier to control...

9 74