11-12-2018, 08:59 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
In continuing a disturbing trend, Geo Trumper has discontinued all of their aftershave splashes. I kind of saw the handwriting on the wall over the past few years when they discontinued Astor and Curzon aftershaves. Last winter, they axed Spanish Leather. Yesterday though, when I went to place my Christmas order, I saw that all of the aftershaves were now gone -including extract of limes. 

This just continues the trend started by Penhaligons who discontinued most (if not all) of their aftershave splashes and Taylor of Bond Street which ditched their aftershave splashes for something that is a hybrid of aftershave and cologne. 

I guess that I am part of a dying breed. I prefer aftershave splashes and very rarely wear a cologne.

52 20,732
 11-12-2018, 09:12 AM
User Info
I blame Axe body sprays.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

1 173
 11-12-2018, 09:15 AM
User Info
That is terrible I truly love Trumper Spanish Leather so guessing I better enjoy what I have.

7 1,701
 01-15-2019, 10:09 PM
  • diggity
  • Los Gatos, CA
User Info
Jeez, that is sad. Phil, did you see a drop
In sales over the years? I assume that’s the only reason these firms are making these changes. It’s interesting to me to see more and more artisan makers pop up while the big guys seem to discontinue products.

19 314
 01-15-2019, 11:11 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(01-15-2019, 10:09 PM)diggity Wrote: Jeez, that is sad. Phil, did you see a drop
In sales over the years? I assume that’s the only reason these firms are making these changes. It’s interesting to me to see more and more artisan makers pop up while the big guys seem to discontinue products.

Its great to see you Nathan. The aftershave splashes outsold the colognes at my shop but, I guess that must not be the norm. I had emailed Maggie Moss at Trumper and she said the skin foods had overtaken the aftershave splashes. It is a shame. I will especially miss the Extract of Limes splash.

52 20,732
 01-16-2019, 06:57 AM
  • diggity
  • Los Gatos, CA
User Info
(01-15-2019, 11:11 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 10:09 PM)diggity Wrote: Jeez, that is sad. Phil, did you see a drop

Its great to see you Nathan. The aftershave splashes outsold the colognes at my shop but, I guess that must not be the norm. I had emailed Maggie Moss at Trumper and she said the skin foods had overtaken the aftershave splashes. It is a shame. I will especially miss the Extract of Limes splash.
Thanks, Phil. And likewise. It’s been too long.

Well, that kind of makes sense. IMO, it also seems like a generational thing. I don’t see too many gents younger than me using a traditional aftershave. More colognes, toners, etc. all.

19 314
 01-16-2019, 07:48 AM
User Info
It is a big hit for the shaving community.

1 70
 01-16-2019, 11:22 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(01-16-2019, 06:57 AM)diggity Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 11:11 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

Thanks, Phil. And likewise. It’s been too long.

Well, that kind of makes sense. IMO, it also seems like a generational thing. I don’t see too many gents younger than me using a traditional aftershave. More colognes, toners, etc. all.

It is a generational thing, there is no doubt about it. That said, you also don’t see many guys younger than 35 who use Trumper products (at least in the U. S.) The customer base leans heavily to those of us 50 and over.

52 20,732
 01-17-2019, 02:17 PM
User Info
I never tried GFT aftershaves splashes, but the main thing keeping me away from GFT (and the other British brands) is the exceedingly high cost of the aftershaves. I just can't bring myself to spend $50-60 on a 100 ml bottle. I know good fragrances are expensive... but there are fantastic aftershaves between $15-$25 per 100 ml. I might have sprung for a GFT (or DRH) aftershave if it was closer to the $30 mark.

7 119
 02-16-2019, 02:10 PM
User Info
(01-17-2019, 02:17 PM)vadim Wrote: I never tried GFT aftershaves splashes, but the main thing keeping me away from GFT (and the other British brands) is the exceedingly high cost of the aftershaves. I just can't bring myself to spend $50-60 on a 100 ml bottle. I know good fragrances are expensive... but there are fantastic aftershaves between $15-$25 per 100 ml. I might have sprung for a GFT (or DRH) aftershave if it was closer to the $30 mark.

I find it interesting that the Trumper's skin foods seem to be closer to the $15-$25/100ml mark than the splashes...I wonder if that has anything to do with them selling better.

I definitely agree, though -- to me, an expensive aftershave is Floid, and I can get a 400ml bottle of that for $35-$45.

5 47
 02-17-2019, 05:16 AM
User Info
The one Tripumper splash I have ( Spanish Leather ) was pricey when I purchased it but the scent is outstanding and the longevity is outstanding as well, I find most splashes don’t have a lasting scent but Trumper is one of the few that does and the post shave after using is top notch.

7 1,701
 02-18-2019, 09:55 AM
User Info
I have expensive aftershaves and the only compliment I ever got was on the Gillette blue goop. So not surprised that expensive AS splashes are not selling.

1 503
 02-20-2019, 12:23 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I hate to say that I never got to try any of their aftershaves. I am under 35 and love the traditional brands, and prefer aftershaves while rarely wearing colognes. That being said the cost always kept them lower on my "must have" list. Would be a neat project for some artisan to recreate the various scents.

12 616