11-16-2018, 12:15 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
Can someone who has used both razors please compare the Paradigm SE to the Colonial General?  I have the aluminum version of the General that I use with Feather Pro blades on a UFO Titan handle.  It works really well for me but I am wondering if the Paradigm would be demonstrably better.

26 694
 11-16-2018, 03:31 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
I know there aren't a ton of them out there, but no responses?

26 694
 11-17-2018, 10:27 AM
User Info
I got both. Undoubtedly Paradigm is best. Go for it if you’re on fence.

21 290
 11-17-2018, 11:03 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-17-2018, 10:27 AM)Bobusa Wrote: I got both. Undoubtedly Paradigm is best. Go for it if you’re on fence.

Which General do you have and can you provide some detail on the comparison?  I do really like the General.

26 694
 11-17-2018, 05:47 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(11-17-2018, 11:03 AM)NJDJ Wrote:
(11-17-2018, 10:27 AM)Bobusa Wrote: I got both. Undoubtedly Paradigm is best. Go for it if you’re on fence.
Which General do you have and can you provide some detail on the comparison?  I do really like the General.
+1

0 1,519
 11-18-2018, 03:04 AM
User Info

I would also love to hear a more detailed explanation. Why it is better, other than the materials and tag price.

0 199
 11-18-2018, 08:05 AM
User Info
I've own both and used the aluminum General as my daily driver for over a year (I also own a brass and stainless General but prefer the lightweight aluminum). I'll probably use the Paradigm exclusively for some time to "get my money's worth" but I'll switch back to the General, Mongoose, vintage GEMs for variety. I think the Paradigm gives similar shave results and is slightly milder and possibly slightly glides better than the General. Both have a feeling of "can't bite/nick no matter what" unlike a Cobra which always made me a little nervous.  Because of that "can't nick" feel, I don't either gives the closest shave in the world but easy easy two pass DFS and a third pass is super easy if you do. Fit and finish on the Paradigm is extreme - the machining and polishing makes it seem like it was poured into a smooth mold, like it's always "wet". It just feels like a luxury tool that will last indefinitely, and it just drips with a sense of being elegant. Performance wise, it's pretty similar but fit/finish, the Paradigm is way off the charts compared to any other razor I've used (I have not used any other polished finished razor however)

I haven't tried a Super Pro in the Paradigm yet (have only used Prolines) so hopefully it does a good job taming that blade similar to how the Super Pro performs in the General. And I'm very interested to see what Colonial will have upcoming in the General 2.0.

2 144
 11-18-2018, 08:29 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-18-2018, 08:05 AM)TripleG Wrote: I've own both and used the aluminum General as my daily driver for over a year (I also own a brass and stainless General but prefer the lightweight aluminum). I'll probably use the Paradigm exclusively for some time to "get my money's worth" but I'll switch back to the General, Mongoose, vintage GEMs for variety. I think the Paradigm gives similar shave results and is slightly milder and possibly slightly glides better than the General. Both have a feeling of "can't bite/nick no matter what" unlike a Cobra which always made me a little nervous.  Because of that "can't nick" feel, I don't either gives the closest shave in the world but easy easy two pass DFS and a third pass is super easy if you do. Fit and finish on the Paradigm is extreme - the machining and polishing makes it seem like it was poured into a smooth mold, like it's always "wet". It just feels like a luxury tool that will last indefinitely, and it just drips with a sense of being elegant. Performance wise, it's pretty similar but fit/finish, the Paradigm is way off the charts compared to any other razor I've used (I have not used any other polished finished razor however)

I haven't tried a Super Pro in the Paradigm yet (have only used Prolines) so hopefully it does a good job taming that blade similar to how the Super Pro performs in the General. And I'm very interested to see what Colonial will have upcoming in the General 2.0.

Very helpful post.  Thank you.

26 694
 11-18-2018, 06:37 PM
User Info
(11-18-2018, 08:05 AM)TripleG Wrote: I've own both and used the aluminum General as my daily driver for over a year (I also own a brass and stainless General but prefer the lightweight aluminum). I'll probably use the Paradigm exclusively for some time to "get my money's worth" but I'll switch back to the General, Mongoose, vintage GEMs for variety. I think the Paradigm gives similar shave results and is slightly milder and possibly slightly glides better than the General. Both have a feeling of "can't bite/nick no matter what" unlike a Cobra which always made me a little nervous.  Because of that "can't nick" feel, I don't either gives the closest shave in the world but easy easy two pass DFS and a third pass is super easy if you do. Fit and finish on the Paradigm is extreme - the machining and polishing makes it seem like it was poured into a smooth mold, like it's always "wet". It just feels like a luxury tool that will last indefinitely, and it just drips with a sense of being elegant. Performance wise, it's pretty similar but fit/finish, the Paradigm is way off the charts compared to any other razor I've used (I have not used any other polished finished razor however)

If you are referring to the Stainless General V2 I received word from Kirk this morning and they have decided not to do a V2 because they aren't sure where the V1 can be improved upon... They are concentrating all efforts on the DE they are working on right now and look to release early 2019. He did mention that DE's were more of a priority of the future than SE's which would tell me there will be more than 1 razor or design upcoming...

3 123
 11-18-2018, 07:14 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-18-2018, 06:37 PM)MikeL Wrote:

If you are referring to the Stainless General V2 I received word from Kirk this morning and they have decided not to do a V2 because they aren't sure where the V1 can be improved upon... They are concentrating all efforts on the DE they are working on right now and look to release early 2019. He did mention that DE's were more of a priority of the future than SE's which would tell me there will be more than 1 razor or design upcoming...

That is a massive bummer.

26 694