11-18-2018, 08:51 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I wanted to try and gauge people’s views on the OREN (or the v1 version) before making a decision whether to purchase another razor.

Some reviews say that the floating blade concept makes a difference to the quality of the shave the OREN gives, whereas at least one review suggests that it is the cause of a mediocre shave.

I’ve only ever tried a floating blade razor once before, the One Blade Core, which I used for the first time yesterday and was a bit underwhelmed. I can’t work out whether that was due to the movement of the blade during the shave or other factors associated with the razor itself.

Any thoughts or opinions would be most welcome guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 736
 11-18-2018, 09:37 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
I can't comment specifically on the OREN, but I did own an earlier version which also floats.  It produced fantastic results and got me into SE shaving.  That said, I like my Colonial General a little better.

26 695
 11-19-2018, 02:55 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I tried the OREN once or twice and was not impressed...but I'll try again some day hopefully soon and let you know.

82 3,455
 11-19-2018, 05:25 PM
User Info
I purchased Occam’s razor, the latest version, a little over two weeks ago so keep in mind, I am not a seasoned user of the razor.  I have however, used it everyday since it arrived.  I absolutely love the razor.  I ordered several different AC blades from “try-a-blade” but have only used the Proguard blade.  Tomorrow I will try one of the other five remaining blades I purchased.   Not sure what the “floating head” talk is all about.  I haven’t noticed anything unusual about the razor.  For me, the razor just works.  Very smooth, almost no irritation, and close.  It is as close as my Gems, but with less irritation and easier to maneuver, smoother and closer than my Supply injector and a bit more enjoyable to use than my DE Rockford 6S.  Maybe it’s the Proguard blades, but so far, I really think this razor is great.  I can give you a better assessment after another month or two of using it.

0 1
 11-19-2018, 09:58 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I was one of the Occam's V2 OREN Kickstarter buyers so a few months with the razor.  All my shaves have been with the 2 dot head and the Feather Proguards.  I vaguely recall the "floating head comments" apply mainly to the more aggressive 3 dot head.

Is the performance as good as my Paradigm Titnium II or Wolfman - NO. Perhaps I should watch the video for some better shaving techniques with the razor.
Are the shaves always close and absolutely no irratition - YES.   Do I enjoy shaving with the razor - YES.

I tend to like the lighter weight and more manuverable razors.  Nice lower cost option to start with SE razors.  +1 on the positive comments above and happy with my purchase.

9 690
 11-21-2018, 06:18 AM
  • Kostas
  • SW suburb of Chicago
User Info
I'm a fan.  It definitely gives me some very good shaves.  It's in a rotation with the aluminum and ss generals, rockwell 6s, gillette #58, and a futur.  The El Jefe is reserved for times when I'm feeling "crazy".

I slightly prefer my aluminum general with a proline blade over the Occam V1, but I must also admin that the Occam is more consistent with other blades I have (Feather Pro and Kai Mild).

Floating head has never been an issue.  I've tried the razor with all 3 heads.  Prefer the 3 dot, but that's just me.  Got along fine with the 1 and 2 dot heads too.

6 60
 11-22-2018, 02:28 PM
User Info
I have the original version of the OneBlade Genesis razor (without the floating head) and briefly owned the OneBlade Core v1 with the floating head.  I also have both the v1 and v2 of Occam's razor.  I really disliked the OneBlade Core v1 as I could not get a decent shave from it.  I returned in within the 30 day money-back period.  I love both the OneBlade Genesis v1 and both versions of the Occam's razor.  I think the Occam's razor v2 is a definite improvement over the v1, especially shaving under the nose.  The skeletonized handle is also much improved.  Personally I don't think the floating head causes a problem with the Occam's razor although you will hear the blade rattle which bothers some shavers.  

For me, the Genesis v1 and both versions of the Occam's razor provide close and very comfortable shaves.  

eric.

9 161
 11-22-2018, 03:02 PM
User Info
I have a v-2, used it yesterday. I like it, to me it looks a little "intimidating" looks like a vegetable peeler. 
But it's not. It is a very comfortable razor. I used it a dozen or more times with the two dot plate.
I just changed to the one dot with one shave at that level. I like a mild razor and was a little surprised 
that the two dot was fairly mild to me. I get very good and very comfortable shaves with this razor.

0 861
 11-22-2018, 03:23 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Thank you for all the helpful replies guys. I've decided to take the plunge and have just ordered a v2 razor based upon the good feedback the razor has in the comments above. It'll take a few weeks to make the long journey over the Atlantic and I'm very hopeful that it will be worth the wait. Smile

42 736
 11-22-2018, 04:41 PM
User Info
(11-22-2018, 03:23 PM)ajc347 Wrote: Thank you for all the helpful replies guys. I've decided to take the plunge and have just ordered a v2 razor based upon the good feedback the razor has in the comments above. It'll take a few weeks to make the long journey over the Atlantic and I'm very hopeful that it will be worth the wait. Smile

Hope it works for you.... Cheers

0 861
 11-22-2018, 09:02 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
(11-22-2018, 04:41 PM)zipper Wrote: Hope it works for you.... Cheers

Thanks mate.

42 736
 12-03-2018, 01:49 PM
User Info
(11-22-2018, 03:23 PM)ajc347 Wrote: Thank you for all the helpful replies guys. I've decided to take the plunge and have just ordered a v2 razor based upon the good feedback the razor has in the comments above. It'll take a few weeks to make the long journey over the Atlantic and I'm very hopeful that it will be worth the wait. Smile

Let us know how it works out for you once you have enough shaves with it to provide an informed opinion.

eric.

9 161