11-21-2018, 07:31 AM
User Info
Hello All,

So I’m a bit anal about keeping my shave brush and razor free of soap scum and general nastiness by cleaning them after every shave. For my razor, I use a commercial bathroom cleaner that’s advertised to desolve soap scum, and it works very well. I use a baby shampoo on my brush, and it seems to work to an extent, but the water in my area is very hard, so mineral deposits are an issue. I’ve heard about using a vinegar and water solution for brush cleaning, but the posts I’ve read seem to indicate that most folks my only clean their brushes this way occasionally. I’m wondering if such a vinegar solution could be used on a daily basis to quickly rinse a brush to eliminate any soap or mineral buildup. Thoughts?

0 19
 11-21-2018, 07:45 AM
User Info
I would think using a vinegar solution daily would DESTROY the brush. I do that about every year or two. Just a daily rinse with WARM water
and allow the brush to dry is enough..We are talking about Badger, right?

1 868
 11-21-2018, 08:25 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I've always been of the opinion that my brushes touch only a tub of soap and my clean face. My brushes aren't getting "dirty." I rinse each brush thoroughly after every shave with warm water and haven't felt the need to do anything further. Maybe I should do something more proactive? Idk...

10 3,163
 11-21-2018, 08:35 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
The only time I have ever done a thorough cleaning was buying a brush from the bay and/or some funky brush to rebuild bought from an antique dealer. I agree that soap used for my shaves and then a good after shave drying is good enough. Maybe I need to do more but this has worked for me DE shaving for 10 years now.

0 345
 11-21-2018, 10:06 AM
User Info
The general vinegar solution I use is 4 parts water / 1 part vinegar as per Savile Row's recommendations.  I remember reading years ago from a member somewhere else that badger hair is much like human hair and should be treated as such, and I remember my mom saying how her mom had all her children rinse their hair with a vinegar rinse all the time. It was about 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar from her recollection once a week. There was never any problems from that from what my mom said. From that point I became comfortable using that ratio to clean the brush from anything that might be there. I did this as to concerns of  Do mind that I don't use this every day. I can't remember the last time I've cleaned a brush this way that I bought new. I only do this when purchasing a new brush. I would do this same routine if I felt the brush needed it. I understand the analness as I've seen many users of brushes selling brushes with what appears to be a soap scum ring that instantly turns me off of having bought their brush because of that. I question as to how well the individual has taken care of the brush as soap scum can cause the brush bristles to weaken and break. I've never noticed any soap scum forming on my brushes throughout the years, but over time you can feel what feels like a build up that doing the vinegar rinse has taken care of. If I were so inclined to do this after every time I used my brush I would consider a weaker rinse solution. I just don't know what ratio.

33 920
 11-21-2018, 10:13 AM
User Info
It's hair, I use shampoo and conditioner on my badger.

15 630
 11-21-2018, 10:28 AM
User Info
I have 17+ grains water hardness.

After I’m done rinsing, I gently squeeze and strop dry on a clean towel, then a quick soak in distilled water, and another squeeze and strop on clean towel.
As long as I rinse well, I haven’t seen any need to further ‘clean’ them, they get cleaned every shave =)

8 448
 11-21-2018, 01:43 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
You could occasionally soak in a weak solution of borax (a half teaspoon dissolved in a tumbler of warm water) brush upside down up to the base of the knot, but not touching the handle. Leave for 15 minutes, and rinse thoroughly in warm water. Then immersion in a weak solution of white vinegar and warm water, same method: 15 mins, then rinse thoroughly. Wash brush with a liquid soap. Rinse off; stand to dry. Good as new. 

Careful of the borax though. If it gets onto the handle, it can eat into and dissolve lamp black, ruin decals, etc.

0 2,014
 11-21-2018, 02:01 PM
User Info
Thanks for the comments and advice. I should have mentioned that I have a number of brushes, though no synthetics, and that I would only try this on an inexpensive boar brush to see if there are any deleterious effects. In the alternative, I suppose I could just relax a bit with the whole brush cleaning thing :-)

0 19
 11-22-2018, 04:29 AM
User Info
I would think that a bathroom cleaner thats designed to remove soap scum would be pretty damaging to a brush as well, not to mention Im sure Id want to be doing it all the time and then putting the brush to my face.
IMO, all you really need to do is to rinse out the brush well and make sure youre getting all the soap out of the knot.

0 100
 11-22-2018, 04:50 AM
User Info
Declaration Grooming makes a brush rejuvenator soap that is quite good! Also, I think PAA makes a brush cleaning soap as well.

4 234
 11-22-2018, 04:54 AM
User Info
I think using any cleaning solution on a daily basis is overkill.  Should use maybe as soft natural Shampoo and Conditioner or a Brush Rejuvenator Soap by Declaration maybe once every 6 months or so.  Just need to rinse out the brush with warm water daily to make sure all the soap is out.  I like to dry my brushes with a towel as well.

4 234
 11-22-2018, 06:04 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Several companies/vendors make brush cleaning soaps.but there’s no need for daily use.

For daily ‘use’, the best thing is to not use ‘dirty’ shaving soaps, ones that leave residue on your brush, face, sink, and razor. There’s a thread on them here on TSN somewhere.

Some soaps and creams rinse much quicker and cleaner than others, the mostly coconut oil based soaps and creams like MdC and the Italian creams are good examples.

Cheers, Steve

7 621
 11-22-2018, 08:22 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
(11-22-2018, 06:04 PM)Steve56 Wrote: For daily ‘use’, the best thing is to not use ‘dirty’ shaving soaps, ones that leave residue on your brush, face, sink, and razor. There’s a thread on them here on TSN somewhere.

If someone can direct me to that thread, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks

63 1,762
 11-22-2018, 08:27 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
There are a few threads here on TSN that discuss the cleaning and maintenance of a brush. I use a simple cleaning procedure that I got from a few websites/threads and a wonderful video that is on Em's Place (at Em's shaving website go to the last page of the brushes at the bottom there is a link to videos click on this link, on the next page click on videos at the top of the navigation bar. The brush cleaning video is at the bottom-youtube)

Shampoo should not be used on a regular basis. What I would recommend is after shaving rinse out the brush thoroughly, then shake gently, then tap and stroke the brush against a towel to get out the excess water. Basically, a brush would need to be cleaned every 30-40 uses

a- rejuvenation soap (Declaration has an excellent rejunvenator)

Simple brush cleaning video is on Em's Place website been there for years, it is also on youtube.

b- mild dish soap Palmolive, Dawn. Either put soap on the knot and hand lather or put soap in a large mug and swirl/agitate the brush for a minute or so then rinse

c- Then put in water and vinegar (3w to 1v) into a mug and again swirl/agitate the brush for a minute or so and then rinse.

d- You can finish with a cheap hair conditioner or not that's up to you.

55 682
 11-23-2018, 05:43 AM
User Info
I use either of brush rejuvenator, vinegar + water solution, shampoo + conditioner combo every 3-4 months on a brush.

For daily use rinsing in warm running water and towel drying does the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,174
 11-23-2018, 06:06 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Here you go

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...ht=Proraso

I’ve found the better quality coconut oil based creams and soaps to be much cleaner than cheaper products and artisan products. Not bashing artisan products, but there’s a current trend to load them up with fats, butters, oils, etc and those end up not only on your face but everywhere else too. I am not a fan.

Martin de Candre, the Italian soaps and creams all seem to rinse clean. You just have to try them and see, but you’re more likely to find a clean product in mainstream coconut oil based products.

7 621
 11-23-2018, 06:38 AM
User Info
I wash mine monthly in baby shampoo and then every six months use a diluted vinegar and water mix. I have the DG brush cleaner but I think baby shampoo works just as well and its a lot cheaper.

0 52
 11-23-2018, 06:40 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I use water and vinegar occasionally. Maybe twice a year or when selling a brush. I fill a mug with water and add a splash of vinegar. I do not measure but can assure you it's less concentrated than the 4:1 ratio. I do not know of anyone doing this daily. Seems like that would be too much. 

There are brush cleaners if you want to go that route. Not sure what the cleaning agent is as I've never used them.

90 1,721
 11-25-2018, 04:11 AM
User Info
The shaving soap residue that collects in the base of the knot will eventually lead to hair breakage. 
A good way to see if there's dried soap residue is to take a dry brush point the tip upright and bend the knot over and release. 
A residue loaded brush will send dried soap particles into the air. You might be amazed at how much. 

Obviously after each shave you want to rinse thoroughly, but it's a good idea to clean the brush with a good quality brush soap once a month. 

As a matter of fact if you return a brush to a manufacturer for hair falling out the above is the first thing they do to check if you're caring for the brush properly.Shavemac for example won't warranty the brush if they find this dried soap residue.

0 36