09-11-2012, 05:05 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I've found an old bottle of JASON brand Witch Hazel and Aloe gel (with a pump) that I've been using as AS and it is wonderful. It also has some other good ingredients like comfrey, etc. It has some alcohol, so it acts as astringent/disinfectant and aloe is healing to the skin. It is also moisturizing. I looked and this product is no longer made. I wonder if there is something equivalent. Here's a link to the old product.

25 1,705
 09-11-2012, 05:57 PM
User Info
I make my own AS using store brand witch hazel& sunburn aloe gel. make it as thick or thin as you like. Cheap, little scent, and effective.

1 345
 09-11-2012, 06:40 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(09-11-2012, 05:57 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote: I make my own AS using store brand witch hazel& sunburn aloe gel. make it as thick or thin as you like. Cheap, little scent, and effective.

Sounds great! What about the moisturizing element?

25 1,705
 09-11-2012, 06:48 PM
User Info
The aloe in the sunburn gel seems to provide some moisture for the skin. I have also used a regular aloe gel and the result is the same. You can add a drop or two of an essential oil to scent and add some more healing properties. Lavender or Tea Tree oils are my favs.

1 345
 09-11-2012, 07:22 PM
User Info
Thayers makes good witch hazel products with aloe. Their products are a clear liquid, though, not a gel. A few of the items in their lineup are alcohol free, and that's what I use as a daily AS splash.

2 129
 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM
User Info
(09-11-2012, 07:22 PM)ronwell Wrote: Thayers makes good witch hazel products with aloe. Their products are a clear liquid, though, not a gel. A few of the items in their lineup are alcohol free, and that's what I use as a daily AS splash.

+1 Thayers alcohol-free aloe is very nice. However, i like the idea of a home-made version.

75 20,884
 09-12-2012, 06:30 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Sounds great, guys. Do you also use alum? I was a big fan of alum up until recently when I started using OC and got a bit of a razor burn from initial OC experiences. Alum started giving my bumps and redness. So I discontinued it and used that JASON witch hazel aloe stuff and it cleared the bumps overnight. I still really like alum for its simplicity and effectiveness, but I feel it may be too much for now. I may go back to it later in conjunction with unrefined shea butter I am waiting to get. I usually apply alum, leave on for a few minutes, then rinse with cold water and use the remnants of my lather in the brush to wash it off. No AS treatment beyond that. And it worked great until I got a case of razor burn. Then I needed aloe. Still discovering different AS options, but like to keep things simple and not too keen on strong scents.

25 1,705
 10-22-2012, 03:38 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Thayer's makes a WH/aloe AS...it's very drying for me. If I reach for Thayer's it's the alcohol free ones for me.

0 1,291
 10-22-2012, 04:07 PM
User Info
I just bought a 12 oz. bottle of Thayer's Witch Hazel/Aloe Toner for $5.85, including shipping, at the Puritan's Pride web site. They have some kind of coupon special.

185 12,010