01-23-2019, 07:46 AM
User Info
(01-23-2019, 06:32 AM)Roy Wrote: I am a fan of Saponificio varesino soap.  Can anyone compare the two, if used SV . If not,, can anyone 'sell 'me Mdc soaps.

For me it's mostly a preference in scents. I have gifted most of my SV soaps although I still retain two. Since MDC made it's way into my den, all other soap acquisitions have ceased, I enjoy it that much. I only regret waiting as long as I did.
I'm eagerly awaiting Steves report on the Vetiver.

0 41
 01-24-2019, 09:55 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
It arrived this morning but after I’d shaved, however, I don’t think the performance is something that’s in doubt - it should lather and shave like well, MdC.

The scent is a light grassy, earthy scent, with maybe a hint of heavy mint or spicy woodiness. There’s no smoke, no campfire here, and no benzoin that I can tell. It is not strongly scented as artisan soaps go. Caveat emptor, I’m in the Tennessee river valley and it’s winter, so maybe my nose isn’t at its best and I do perceive scents differently over time. But I don’t believe anyone would dispute the earthy grassy with no smoke and no benzoin part, or that it is not heavily scented.

Cheers, Steve

8 733
 01-24-2019, 10:12 AM
User Info
(01-20-2019, 11:35 AM)Uncas Wrote: I would enjoy hearing any favored aftershave parings for the MDC Vetiver, if anyone would care to share.
I have several vetiver fragrances that pair well and i enjoy them all :

Lalique Encre Noir [great price]
Guerlain Vetiver
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
Dyptique vetivyro [spelling?]
Federic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire [very expensive- but earthy]
Chanel Sycomore
Hermes, Terre de Hermes

the Fine aftershaves that are vetiver based are exceptional imo.

Guerlain I think is the best value. A true classic, and can be worn all year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

0 298
 02-23-2019, 04:54 PM
  • Niro884
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
Used it this past week. A truly sophisticated vetiver scent. Love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

70 900
 02-23-2019, 05:58 PM
User Info
(02-23-2019, 04:54 PM)Niro884 Wrote: Used it this past week. A truly sophisticated vetiver scent. Love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AGREE!

Vr

Matt

21 1,115
 02-24-2019, 05:11 AM
User Info
Oh yes it is true. I adore this perfumed soap so much. Yes, how can it be? Like sweet grasses and clean air.

0 14
 02-24-2019, 12:04 PM
User Info
I've been fortunate to sample the MdC Vetiver, and I can say this is my favorite of the 4 MdC scents I have used to date (Original, Fougere, Rose and now Vetiver). I probably should get one before they sell out.

30 1,280
 02-24-2019, 12:40 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
Is it possible to acquire a sample of the vetiver anywhere?

I used, and gave up on, the original MdC several years ago. It was a stellar performer, but too drying of my skin.

I really enjoy vetiver soaps, but am unwilling to buy a jar of rather spendy Vetiver MdC and then find that it is still too drying on my skin.

63 1,841
 02-24-2019, 01:08 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
It’s the same soap, so chances are that it would perform the same.

Cheers, Steve

8 733
 02-24-2019, 01:32 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Actually, I found the Original to be terrible for my skin... YMMV on that of course... very drying and irritating to me.

The Fougere, on the other hand, has been excellent, and no dryness or issues whatsoever. (Same with the Rose, I only sold that because I wasn't thrilled with its scent.)

I also just ordered the Vetyver and Agrumes, and expecting no issues with those.

84 3,673
 02-24-2019, 01:33 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(02-24-2019, 12:04 PM)brothers Wrote: I've been fortunate to sample the MdC Vetiver, and I can say this is my favorite of the 4 MdC scents I have used to date (Original, Fougere, Rose and now Vetiver). I probably should get one before they sell out.

Loud and clear.  Ordered!   Biggrin

84 3,673
 02-24-2019, 01:40 PM
User Info
MdC is a little irritating for my skin because it dries it out but I just use a moisturizer after my shave. Love the Fougere scent so much that I think I should check out this Vetiver.

0 69
 02-25-2019, 11:22 AM
User Info
(02-24-2019, 01:32 PM)Nero Wrote: Actually, I found the Original to be terrible for my skin... YMMV on that of course... very drying and irritating to me.

The Fougere, on the other hand, has been excellent, and no dryness or issues whatsoever. (Same with the Rose, I only sold that because I wasn't thrilled with its scent.)

I also just ordered the Vetyver and Agrumes, and expecting no issues with those.

I had similar results as well. Original would burn my face during the shave, usually by end of second pass!! Funny as this didn’t happen initially but after some time of using it.
With Fougere on the other hand, I have not experienced any problem so far. Been using it for a couple of years and use it regularly.

Nothing like the AoS tallow though Matt! You did convert me my friend! Fantastic stuff for straights!!

20 887
 03-02-2019, 06:54 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Btw, how would you guys describe the scent of the unscented? You know what I mean Smile

84 3,673
 03-02-2019, 07:02 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(02-25-2019, 11:22 AM)snowman Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 01:32 PM)Nero Wrote: Actually, I found the Original to be terrible for my skin... YMMV on that of course... very drying and irritating to me.

I had similar results as well. Original would burn my face during the shave, usually by end of second pass!! Funny as this didn’t happen initially but after some time of using it.
With Fougere on the other hand, I have not experienced any problem so far. Been using it for a couple of years and use it regularly.

Nothing like the AoS tallow though Matt! You did convert me my friend! Fantastic stuff for straights!!

Thanks for confirming the MdC Original vs. Fougere...

(... and for reminding me to use AoS tallow again.
Brought it on my current trip. Another perfect shave. It's just insanely slick and protective, it feels impossible to cut yourself. If I tried a straight razor, I'd definitely pull this soap out for my first few shaves.)

84 3,673
 03-03-2019, 08:10 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
I received a sample of the vetiver, thanks to the goodness of a member here.

And I used it this morning. The slickness is great. Just like the original MdC that I had many months ago. I was expecting a more robust lather. However I surmise that is because in the past I had softened water, which I no longer have.

The scent was less pronounced than I was hoping. IIRC, the medicinal scent of original MdC was very present. Perhaps because the sample I received came from the bottom of the jar, the scent had dissipated over time. The scent was quite pleasant. It compared favorably to other vetivers that I have.

This morning's shave left my skin a little dry, but not in an objectionable way. I will use the vetiver again tomorrow and see what happens on a second shave.

63 1,841
 03-09-2019, 03:03 PM
  • Niro884
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
Hoping to find a good aftershave to pair with MdC vetiver.  All I have right now is Fine clean vetiver which is good, but looking something with more skin food.

70 900
 03-09-2019, 03:36 PM
User Info
I bought some Rose from a seller on ebay and used it today for the first time.  Wow, great performance and scent.

1 501