11-24-2018, 04:31 PM
User Info
I have been on a personal challenge of excess vs necessity. I’m fairly new to the DE / SE shaving (5 years) and as I can only imagine, many of you went down the same rabbit hole. Way too many razors, soaps, aftershaves, blades, etc...

Hardware obsession I can understand. So many razors, so many choices, and so many varying results. Easy to solve as you can swap and sell.

The challenge? I had so many soaps and aftershaves, I wanted to see how long it would take to clear out all my soaps, aftershaves, or similar products.

Well, it’s been almost a year since I have purchased any soaps or aftershaves. By the looks of it, I still have another year left! Goodnight!

Just curious to know if any such challenge has crossed your mind. I took on this hobby of wet shaving to save money and it was clearly a better shave. I suppose I’m saving money now but the first few years was a rabbit hole. I have enjoyed the journey and love the other fellow wet shavers and community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 116
 11-24-2018, 05:08 PM
User Info
I did just this in early October, after finding a number of nearly empty soaps, balms, and aftershaves. My goal was to finish 4 of 7 soaps, 2 aftershaves, and a balm by years end. I did that and more. You can get the details here if interested: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...#pid896387

31 1,624
 12-04-2018, 10:27 AM
User Info
Yes, since August I have been shuffling around my hardware and software Collection. It is more about quality over quantity. 

Soaps- I was up to about 30 plus unused soaps because I like to only use 1-2 at a time.  Realizing how long it takes me to get through a soap, I purged a bit of my software recently. In the past month I have sold off or PIFed so many soaps I may never get to them. I know have about 8 different soaps but primarily use one at a time. 

I wasn't too bad with Brushes. I own about 5 or 6 but they are pretty elite two bands. 

Razors I had 4 Traderes but only used one. I sold them all for a pretty profit and used proceeds to get 3 more razors. I need to get one or two more to satisfy myself. Even then I think that is to many and still hard to make sure the wife does not notice.  

Blades. I am finding that I need Three blades mostly. PolSilver SI, Feather and my newest and yet cheapest find Sputnik. These blades might be the best thing to me. I have to get rid of my Persona Reds, Kai and Bolzano blades not. I should put them up for trade.

1 45
 12-04-2018, 10:29 AM
User Info
(11-24-2018, 05:08 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I did just this in early October, after finding a number of nearly empty soaps, balms, and aftershaves. My goal was to finish 4 of 7 soaps, 2 aftershaves, and a balm by years end. I did that and more. You can get the details here if interested: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...#pid896387

Four to seven soaps might be a bit to aggressive for me.  I am lucky for 4 soaps... Maybe I don't load enough on. But pretty sure I do.

1 45
 12-05-2018, 08:56 AM
User Info
Between RAD, SBAD, SSAD, etc. owned 60 soaps, 25 brushes, pifed many, sold some, wife happier now.
Down to 7 soaps, 13 brushes, same wife.

60 1,346
 12-06-2018, 09:55 AM
User Info
I could never stick to this kind of challenge.  I don't buy razors or brushes very often, but I do buy soaps.  Right now the only reason that I would stop if for financial reasons.  But even then soaps are fairly inexpensive.

0 80
 12-07-2018, 12:28 PM
User Info
This is the time of year I stock up on the soaps I've spotted throughout the year. There are so many good deals over the holidays. But it's also the time I clear out the soaps I don't use, or want to share. Fortunately, I have four boys and several nephews who enjoy the pifs. What I've learned is that between all the shavers in our family there is rarely a "bad" soap. What I mean is that everyone has there likes and dislikes. So if there is a soap that doesn't work for me, it usually works for one of my sons or nephews.

0 17