11-24-2018, 04:31 PM
User Info
I have been on a personal challenge of excess vs necessity. I’m fairly new to the DE / SE shaving (5 years) and as I can only imagine, many of you went down the same rabbit hole. Way too many razors, soaps, aftershaves, blades, etc...

Hardware obsession I can understand. So many razors, so many choices, and so many varying results. Easy to solve as you can swap and sell.

The challenge? I had so many soaps and aftershaves, I wanted to see how long it would take to clear out all my soaps, aftershaves, or similar products.

Well, it’s been almost a year since I have purchased any soaps or aftershaves. By the looks of it, I still have another year left! Goodnight!

Just curious to know if any such challenge has crossed your mind. I took on this hobby of wet shaving to save money and it was clearly a better shave. I suppose I’m saving money now but the first few years was a rabbit hole. I have enjoyed the journey and love the other fellow wet shavers and community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 120
 11-24-2018, 05:08 PM
User Info
I did just this in early October, after finding a number of nearly empty soaps, balms, and aftershaves. My goal was to finish 4 of 7 soaps, 2 aftershaves, and a balm by years end. I did that and more. You can get the details here if interested: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...#pid896387

35 1,825
 12-04-2018, 10:27 AM
User Info
Yes, since August I have been shuffling around my hardware and software Collection. It is more about quality over quantity. 

Soaps- I was up to about 30 plus unused soaps because I like to only use 1-2 at a time.  Realizing how long it takes me to get through a soap, I purged a bit of my software recently. In the past month I have sold off or PIFed so many soaps I may never get to them. I know have about 8 different soaps but primarily use one at a time. 

I wasn't too bad with Brushes. I own about 5 or 6 but they are pretty elite two bands. 

Razors I had 4 Traderes but only used one. I sold them all for a pretty profit and used proceeds to get 3 more razors. I need to get one or two more to satisfy myself. Even then I think that is to many and still hard to make sure the wife does not notice.  

Blades. I am finding that I need Three blades mostly. PolSilver SI, Feather and my newest and yet cheapest find Sputnik. These blades might be the best thing to me. I have to get rid of my Persona Reds, Kai and Bolzano blades not. I should put them up for trade.

1 57
 12-04-2018, 10:29 AM
User Info
(11-24-2018, 05:08 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I did just this in early October, after finding a number of nearly empty soaps, balms, and aftershaves. My goal was to finish 4 of 7 soaps, 2 aftershaves, and a balm by years end. I did that and more. You can get the details here if interested: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...#pid896387

Four to seven soaps might be a bit to aggressive for me.  I am lucky for 4 soaps... Maybe I don't load enough on. But pretty sure I do.

1 57
 12-05-2018, 08:56 AM
User Info
Between RAD, SBAD, SSAD, etc. owned 60 soaps, 25 brushes, pifed many, sold some, wife happier now.
Down to 7 soaps, 13 brushes, same wife.

62 1,470
 12-06-2018, 09:55 AM
User Info
I could never stick to this kind of challenge.  I don't buy razors or brushes very often, but I do buy soaps.  Right now the only reason that I would stop if for financial reasons.  But even then soaps are fairly inexpensive.

0 102
 12-07-2018, 12:28 PM
User Info
This is the time of year I stock up on the soaps I've spotted throughout the year. There are so many good deals over the holidays. But it's also the time I clear out the soaps I don't use, or want to share. Fortunately, I have four boys and several nephews who enjoy the pifs. What I've learned is that between all the shavers in our family there is rarely a "bad" soap. What I mean is that everyone has there likes and dislikes. So if there is a soap that doesn't work for me, it usually works for one of my sons or nephews.

0 19
 12-17-2018, 05:05 PM
User Info
I have 5 or 6 years of soap, maybe 10-12 years on blades. Now I'm pretty sure the blades won't go bad, soaps I don't know.....I'm a sick puppy. A6

1 1,073
 12-18-2018, 11:56 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(11-24-2018, 04:31 PM)Flyingbald Wrote: Just curious to know if any such challenge has crossed your mind.
In the last decades It happened a couple of times ... but just as a quick idea.
Tongue

0 1,668
 12-18-2018, 01:35 PM
User Info
I stopped buying soaps and creams earlier this year and PIF'd a good amount.
I still have loads and can't even guess when the end will be in sight...but I'm working toward it.
I don't think my cache is even that big, by many foks' standards.

10 1,091
 01-12-2019, 10:11 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
A fleeting fancy for me.

9 1,092
 02-24-2019, 05:37 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
since i started wet shaving about 6 weeks ago, I have started frequenting Pasteur Pharmacy in NYC. 
their 50% off clearance bins and shelves have many superb shaving soaps and after shaves and balms with the occasional brush. 
of course these are old new stock of wonderful discontinued items mixed in with the assorted damaged box, tin and junk. after an excited flurry of purchases, i have been limiting my myself to one soap a week, shaving every other day at this point, I now have a few years worth of soap. now to move on to balms i think.

0 264