11-24-2018, 11:10 PM
  • Slim
  • Mike
  • Tennessee
User Info
Hi,
My interests have been peaked in this razor. I enjoy my slim and fatboy adjustable. Infact when I shave with a de I only use those 2. The only thing that I dont like is on the Gillette adjustables is when the blade gap being at 8&9 and the thin blade seems to chatter and not feel stable and locked in place.
For the past 1.5 year I have been only shaving with a straight and i do enjoy, but Im not sure yet if its for me. Man it just takes me so long, and I definitely haven't purchased my honing supplies yet, but I have spent enough on strops ans straights. I haven't ruled out straight shaving yet, but I may.

I have had my eyes on a Rex Ambassador for a while now.  To me it looks amazing and to be the perfect weight girth, length , head profile. I  like the satin finish, because if it were a mirror polish it would definitely show scratching just by cleaning with a towel. ( I know this because I used to own a mirror polished Mongoose and it developed swirl marks in the finish just by towel drying.)I think I read somewhere that the Rex's finish is more of a brighter and more refined than the first batch of razors, and its now( more of satin now instead of a brushed finish.)In the beginning I read they had a bumpy start, but hey that's how success is achieved,  mistakes happen, and improvements are made  by those mistakes.  You will never find a business/product that is a success or going to be a success, and hasn't had its share of downfalls during their process. A plus for me is they seem to stand by their product! Ive read that RE has ironed out all the glitches and kinks, and that's awesome . Glad to see a quality  made stainless adjustable !

So how does this beauty shave? How aggressive and how mild can it be?  Is she a smooth shaver? Does the blade chatter more at higher settings? Or does it remain stable and stiff through all adjustments? I like to heare all of y'all users and owners Very honest opinions. 

Thanks,
Mike

0 87
 11-24-2018, 11:59 PM
User Info
I love mine. I find it mild at lower numbers, and smooth even at higher numbers. I’ve shaved from all the way closed, to wide open, and it’s smooth all the way through for me. I’ve read some people say that it’s too aggy, even at the lowest settings, but I didn’t find that to be true for me. They pop up from time to time on secondary market, but if I had to buy one new at retail, I wouldn’t be disappointed. At very worst, you could grab one on secondary market, and if you don’t like it, sell it. I suggest looking for a serial number ending in ‘N2’ or above. There were some issues with the adjuster that were rectified by this iteration.

Let us know what you decide!

Edit to address a question:
I didn’t notice any blade chatter at any setting. I use Wizamet blades pretty much exclusively, so that’s the blade I’ve been using in Rex.

8 448
 11-25-2018, 03:10 AM
User Info
I found it to be a very smooth razor up to setting 4.5 then it began to get a little harsh. No blade chatter, but seemed to loose some of its smoothness. Now would be a good time to get one as Razor emporium is doing 20% off for black friday

17 335
 11-25-2018, 03:28 AM
  • Slim
  • Mike
  • Tennessee
User Info
(11-25-2018, 03:10 AM)Shavemd Wrote: I found it to be a very smooth razor up to setting 4.5 then it began to get a little harsh. No blade chatter, but seemed to loose some of its smoothness. Now would be a good time to get one as Razor emporium is doing 20% off for black friday

Man that would be a sweet deal 20% off! If and before I buy i would have to put some things on B-S-T. Im going to keep at straight a little longer. I do get amazing shaves with a straight, but I just wish the shaves wouldn't take so long. Im usually stubborn and commited once I set my mind to it, but sometimes its way too time consuming!  If I decide not to venture into honing and not continuing to straight shave I will probably sell my gear, and purchase a Rex. The Rex is definitely some eye candy, and what I can tell its a great shaver too.

0 87
 11-25-2018, 04:39 AM
User Info
I agree with the above post to look for a N2 or later iteration.  It's smooth throughout the range, but the biggest advantage of the razor is that you can dial it down for successive passes.  I like to use it on 5 for WTG, 4 for XTG, and 3 for ATG passes respectively....

The REX is far more efficient than a Fatboy.  I would say the REX on 3.5 is equivalent to the Fatboy on 9.  YMMV....

45 229
 11-25-2018, 09:54 PM
User Info
I've had mine for a number of weeks now - an N3; it is an amazing razor - hands down my best razor, better than even my Mergress for how well it shaves.  And it's stainless steel; and it's American made.  Excellent weight, balance, and craftsmanship.

I set mine at 3 - 3.5.  I've tried settings a little lower and higher and, other than the obvious change in aggressiveness I've not noticed any inconsistency in blade stability.

I use Polsilvers almost exclusively, though I've had several GSBs, a Nacet, and an Astra in it.  

My shaves are consistently smooth, the razor incredibly mild on my face - more so than any other razor I've used, including my Mergress.  I get a great 3-pass BBS shave every time, without exception.  And I usually will do several buffing passes - just cuz - and even then my alum block finds hardly any irritation, which says more about how well the razor works than anything.

9.9/10

0 472
 11-26-2018, 05:32 AM
User Info
(11-25-2018, 09:54 PM)Niemander Wrote: I've had mine for a number of weeks now - an N3; it is an amazing razor - hands down my best razor, better than even my Mergress for how well it shaves.  And it's stainless steel; and it's American made.  Excellent weight, balance, and craftsmanship.

I set mine at 3 - 3.5.  I've tried settings a little lower and higher and, other than the obvious change in aggressiveness I've not noticed any inconsistency in blade stability.

I use Polsilvers almost exclusively, though I've had several GSBs, a Nacet, and an Astra in it.  

My shaves are consistently smooth, the razor incredibly mild on my face - more so than any other razor I've used, including my Mergress.  I get a great 3-pass BBS shave every time, without exception.  And I usually will do several buffing passes - just cuz - and even then my alum block finds hardly any irritation, which says more about how well the razor works than anything.

9.9/10

I find your last paragraph confusing and troubling... If it was a 3 pass BBS then there should be no need for buffing, right? If you have to actually do several buffing passes, that would tell me you need to upgrade to a razor that will actually give you that 3 pass BBS and the razor your using doesn't actually work that well!!

3 123
 11-26-2018, 05:02 PM
User Info
(11-26-2018, 05:32 AM)MikeL Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 09:54 PM)Niemander Wrote: I've had mine for a number of weeks now - an N3; it is an amazing razor - hands down my best razor, better than even my Mergress for how well it shaves.  And it's stainless steel; and it's American made.  Excellent weight, balance, and craftsmanship.

9.9/10
I find your last paragraph confusing and troubling... If it was a 3 pass BBS then there should be no need for buffing, right? If you have to actually do several buffing passes, that would tell me you need to upgrade to a razor that will actually give you that 3 pass BBS and the razor your using doesn't actually work that well!!

YMMV

0 472
 11-27-2018, 02:29 AM
User Info
One razor to go to - Vintage Gem Micromatic. It will end all chatter and all RAD.

I mention the Micromatic as you said straights. The Micromatic is your straight razor on a pole !

I've the Rex Ambassador and it's lying in my shave den since quite some time unused !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

1 76