11-27-2018, 10:36 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: db4e54d93c7f5d64e59be917e56f946b.jpg]

Allow me to start this post saying (very loud too) : Viva La Italia

I knew this soap was going to be good but I wasn’t expecting to be superb , due to its slick lather , great skin care and delicious scent , and I’m very glad I got it.

This is the 4.3 formula which contains a lot of oils and skin conditioners as you can read here on the ingredients list :

[Image: d5c9cdc6f6fb08ae5ac215968e9b77e9.jpg]

Argan oil , jojoba oil , Shea butter , sweet almond oil and a large list of great ingredients on the right proportions and I’ll explain that later.

The soap comes on the traditional aluminum tin with 150 grams of soap , which is triple milled.

[Image: e82f0adef9167b91ac8201fd28a37886.jpg]

When lathering this soap I don’t treat it any different than any other triple milled soap (MWF , Tabac , Valobra etc).

Here with the Thater TSN Funf two band shaving brush , after loading it for 15 seconds :

[Image: a64c556c715f49195ddebb469e9420f7.jpg]

And here after a minute of Palm lathering :

[Image: c31e43fd7bbff8d8560eb1c93c387b02.jpg]

While is a veggie based soap (no palm oil on it , by the way) it’s truly behaves like a tallow based shaving soap , with a thick leather , but very , very slick.

The lather needs water , I can tell you that , but I have discover it not to add all the water all at once , but drop by drop , until the “lather explosion” which most of us already have experienced with other soaps.Its not a thirsty soap but needs more water than some other shaving soaps (MWF comes to mind)

It’s lather is ultra slick.I have tried other artisan soaps with most of the same ingredients , and while the lather was protective they weren’t as slick as this one.And this is why I say this soap is formulated with the right proportion of ingredients since it’s extra protective with the skin while having a dense , slick lather.
How it behaves reminds me of the old Acca Kappa shaving cream.

And then we have it’s scent , which is a refined version of the classic of classics , Acqua di Parma Colonia , which I simply adore.The scent is there during the shave and if you combine it with the same after shave , is like heavenly glory , what else can I say ? Maybe better for the spring/summer than winter , but I don’t care.I love this scent.

Yes , it might be more expensive than other soaps but it’s a triple milled soap , has great skin care properties with amazing slickness and smells like heavenly glory.

You can guess that I truly like this soap

So , as I have started : Viva La Italia.

Have been one of my discoveries of this 2018.

93 7,344
 11-27-2018, 10:54 AM
User Info
Slickness is important since I'm a SR shaver only. Not the slickest soap but more than adequate. My main gripe is the lather could be less airy and more dense like my favored tallow soaps. All in all though one of my favorites in both scent and performance.

0 135
 11-27-2018, 12:32 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(11-27-2018, 10:54 AM)JHamel Wrote: Slickness is important since I'm a SR shaver only. Not the slickest soap but more than adequate. My main gripe is the lather could be less airy and more dense like my favored tallow soaps. All in all though one of my favorites in both scent and performance.

Have you used the new 4.3 formula? This formula of this soap has only been out for a week.

48 20,072
 11-27-2018, 01:20 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Looking forward to this one. The review seems to present an awesome product, but we all expected that.

0 344
 11-27-2018, 02:05 PM
User Info
Will this be sold in UK?

0 140
 11-27-2018, 02:33 PM
User Info
Nice review Teiste.

53 8,305
 11-27-2018, 03:44 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(11-27-2018, 02:05 PM)Roy Wrote: Will this be sold in UK?

I ship to the UK but, it will not be sold by a UK retailer

48 20,072
 11-27-2018, 11:06 PM
User Info
(11-27-2018, 12:32 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 10:54 AM)JHamel Wrote: Slickness is important since I'm a SR shaver only. Not the slickest soap but more than adequate. My main gripe is the lather could be less airy and more dense like my favored tallow soaps. All in all though one of my favorites in both scent and performance.

Have you used the new 4.3 formula? This formula of this soap has only been out for a week.

I didn't realize this was a new formula. Do you think the new formula is greatly improved?

0 135
 11-28-2018, 07:06 AM
User Info
As many of you know, I am an SV Lover to the 9th degree.
Something in this one, is not suitable for me.... Huh 
Love the scent, great lather...….Just some ingredient/s is the wrong blend for me.... Cheers

0 866
 11-28-2018, 07:51 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Can't be more honest than that. Sorry not for you but I'm sure somebody will take it off your hands if you want to unload it.

0 344
 11-28-2018, 08:32 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(11-27-2018, 11:06 PM)JHamel Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 12:32 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

I didn't realize this was a new formula. Do you think the new formula is greatly improved?

Yes, I think it is a huge improvement. The lather is slicker and creamier and the post shave feel is much better.

48 20,072
 11-28-2018, 09:11 AM
User Info
(11-28-2018, 07:06 AM)zipper Wrote: As many of you know, I am an SV Lover to the 9th degree.
Love the scent, great lather...….Just some ingredient/s is the wrong blend for me.... Cheers

How many shaves did you have with it so far? What are you thinking doesn't work for you? If I remember right, you enjoy the performance of Opuntia quite a bit right?
I'm wondering if I find any different thoughts after 5 or 10 uses. When I first started using these soaps, there was a break in period on the puck. Not so much with the newer soaps but I did shave yesterday with the Colonia soap with the first time. 

Teiste mentioned in his review that this soap takes lots of water. During my test lather (night before) and during yesterdays shave, I was finding that I got a great hydrated lather with just the bloom water. So with a handful more shaves, I would be more confident to say where I see the new soap standing. My main concern was addressed with the new beta. Colonia 4.1 was lacking density or as I say, in-shave protection. The slickness was still great and the post shave was very favorable, highly softening on my skin. But it didn't quite hold up against protecting me against nicks as much as the other soaps. 

To Teiste, thanks for your thorough review. As always, many of us enjoy your write ups and great photos along side. I wanted to ask, what other SV soaps have you used? I follow lots of your posts and sotd on IG but you seem to be a lot of the English creams and a few of the other solid standing Euro hard soaps.

To Phil, although this is the soap thread, I have to say I love the fact that you went for the aftershave in this run. This is such a wonderful scent and on top of it, having a huge bottle of it that will last a while is awesome. If I recall to the best of my ability, reading peoples thoughts on the various SV aftershaves, there is about 1/3 of people who really seem to enjoy them. Half of people like them but there seem to be a lot of people who do not enjoy them for whatever reason. Maybe the balsam texture or the lack of high alcohol burn but I thoroughly enjoy most of them. A few I enjoy more than some of the soaps. The aftershave smells awesome and I wish we could have had it a couple years ago. I'm sure it was an expensive addition so kudos on the commission.

Cheers my friends!

84 1,633
 11-28-2018, 11:53 AM
User Info
(11-28-2018, 09:11 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 07:06 AM)zipper Wrote: As many of you know, I am an SV Lover to the 9th degree.

How many shaves did you have with it so far? What are you thinking doesn't work for you? If I remember right, you enjoy the performance of Opuntia quite a bit right?
I'm wondering if I find any different thoughts after 5 or 10 uses. When I first started using these soaps, there was a break in period on the puck. Not so much with the newer soaps but I did shave yesterday with the Colonia soap with the first time. 

Cheers my friends!

I got three shaves on it. I'll have to wait a few days b/4 I can try it again. As I write this, about 7 hrs. after I shaved, my face is slightly irritated.
Limonene, Linalool and Almond oil are suspects. It depends upon the amount of these ingredients it seems. Example P-160, is like rubbing Poison Ivey
on my face... Angry

0 866
 11-28-2018, 01:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-28-2018, 09:11 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:

Teiste mentioned in his review that this soap takes lots of water. During my test lather (night before) and during yesterdays shave, I was finding that I got a great hydrated lather with just the bloom water. So with a handful more shaves, I would be more confident to say where I see the new soap standing. My main concern was addressed with the new beta. Colonia 4.1 was lacking density or as I say, in-shave protection. The slickness was still great and the post shave was very favorable, highly softening on my skin. But it didn't quite hold up against protecting me against nicks as much as the other soaps. 

To Teiste, thanks for your thorough review. As always, many of us enjoy your write ups and great photos along side. I wanted to ask, what other SV soaps have you used? I follow lots of your posts and sotd on IG but you seem to be a lot of the English creams and a few of the other solid standing Euro hard soaps.

To Phil, although this is the soap thread, I have to say I love the fact that you went for the aftershave in this run. This is such a wonderful scent and on top of it, having a huge bottle of it that will last a while is awesome. If I recall to the best of my ability, reading peoples thoughts on the various SV aftershaves, there is about 1/3 of people who really seem to enjoy them. Half of people like them but there seem to be a lot of people who do not enjoy them for whatever reason. Maybe the balsam texture or the lack of high alcohol burn but I thoroughly enjoy most of them. A few I enjoy more than some of the soaps. The aftershave smells awesome and I wish we could have had it a couple years ago. I'm sure it was an expensive addition so kudos on the commission.

Cheers my friends!

Hello Zach , glad to see you here too , my friend.

This is the second Saponificio Varesino that I have tried , after the Cosmo one , which is not as good (skin and scent wise) than this one IMHO , of course.

And yes , you know that these days I prefer Euro soaps and creams over "artisan" ones.

93 7,344
 11-28-2018, 04:14 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I tried this soap today and was very happy with it. Post shave was quite easy and left my face smooth after 2 pass shave. Can't say I like it any better than Flying Mango just yet because that is my favorite SV so far.

0 344
 11-29-2018, 05:07 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(11-28-2018, 07:06 AM)zipper Wrote: Just some ingredient/s is the wrong blend for me.... Cheers

What do you mean?

0 1,522
 12-01-2018, 01:42 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(11-28-2018, 08:32 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 11:06 PM)JHamel Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 12:32 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Have you used the new 4.3 formula? This formula of this soap has only been out for a week.

Yes, I think it is a huge improvement. The lather is slicker and creamier and the post shave feel is much better.

I agree with Phil. I expected the performance to be similar to the old formula (4.1), but it is noticeably different. I lathered it just like I have always lathered my 4.1, of which I still have a little remaining. The lather came out creamier with more shine, and it was slicker and more moisturizing. By comparison, the 4.1 usually takes on a more fluffy character. I still like the 4.1 a lot, but I love the 4.3. One place where the 4.1 might be better is scent. When I smell each back to back, they are close, but not identical. I will have to give the 4.3 some time as a soap's scent can sometimes change with time as you get into it a little and as it ages.

5 530
 12-04-2018, 03:30 PM
User Info
 12-09-2018, 02:14 PM
User Info
Interesting review, thanks for taking the time.

0 58