09-11-2012, 07:46 PM
User Info
Review: 3P Almond Croap compared to P.160

On another forum it was suggested that 3P would be a decent substitute for P.160. Being a lover of P.160 and knowing that eventually my supply will exhaust itself, I decided to explore the 3P option.

Both are Soft Italian soaps (croaps- CReam/sOAP). P.160 has a wonderful almond (marzipan) scent to it that is quite mild when it’s lathered. It could be because the 3P is so fresh, but it smells better (than P.160) in the bowl, and it too diminishes substantially after being lathered (as does P.160). IMO, that’s perfect behavior for any soap.

3p isn’t sold by the kilo, but by the 1000ml (liter). I weighed it and while I threw away the written record, I remember it being something close to 960grams. It’s a great deal of soap.

P.160 lathers easily for me, and 3P does the same. I always lather for an ultralather, one that is extremely dense, with cushion that’s off the chart. It’s obtained with far too much soap solids and just enough hydration to not dry out in use. It was extremely easy to get that lather with the 3P. It was extremely slick- exactly what I’ve come to expect with p.160.

OK, so far it sounds like a direct substitute for p.160. It’s not. P.160 has an incredible amount of fat available for the skin incorporated into the soap. 3P while very nice on the skin is lacking that over the top sort of “I applied moisturizer” feel to the skin after the shave. With P.160 if I don’t apply moisturizer I don’t miss it at all.

So while 3P is extremely good it’s not a direct replacement for P.160 IMO. It’s quite similar to Vitos Red or Valobra Almond, and much less expensive than the Valobra offering by the kilo. But 3P IMO has a much better scent than either of those. I didn’t mention Cella because it’s cherry and not almond, so I won’t discuss it further.

If you don’t make an ultralather you may never notice the after shave moisturizer aspect of either P.160 or the other soaps mentioned.

Is 3P a great soap? Absolutely! But a direct replacement for P.160? Not IMO. When I run out of P.160 I know which I’ll buy as the best replacement for it so far. That’ll be 3P. Thankfully, the day I’ll run out of P.160 is quite a long time in the future and I may never live to see it. Or some babe may be wiping my butt for me and I’ll have spittle dripping off my chin and not know where I am, so none of it will matter.

FWIW I haven’t tried Joes RazoRock almond cream. I don’t remember the name. But it’s recognizable as a P.160 replacement from the name. Joe would know what it would take since he likes P.160 at least as much as I do and quite possibly more. If anyone will get it right he will.

OK, now as much as I love P.160, I also handle the facial moisturizing with other products designed to moisturize after the shave. If you do that and use one of the “lesser” croaps you really won’t miss much. Except you’ll never know what P.160 was all about. RIP

As always I welcome other views. I did part with most of the liter of 3P so that others could try it. Let's hear from you fellows!

32 6,308
 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM
User Info
Nice review! I'm a lover of the Italian soft soaps and must give 3P a try. BTW the RR equivalent to P-160 is R-160.

5 938
 09-11-2012, 08:04 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Great write up. I haven't used any of the chunk that I bought from you yet. I'm sure that I'll enjoy it, though.

10 1,120
 09-11-2012, 09:05 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Brian, I really want to see you compare P.160 to TFS Barbe Rosse. I haven't tried 3P but going by your description, I think TFS is a better performance substitute.

88 4,233
 09-12-2012, 12:35 PM
User Info
(09-11-2012, 09:05 PM)beartrap Wrote: Brian, I really want to see you compare P.160 to TFS Barbe Rosse. I haven't tried 3P but going by your description, I think TFS is a better performance substitute.

Biggrin

Like I need help maintaining my SAD! I've been begging folks to not send me more because I'm running out of room in the shave cabinet.

Tell you what... How about I send you a sample of 3P? You do the test? I have 160 virgin grams of 3P in the storage refrigerator, it'll come out of that.

You'll need to get creative with using it, like maybe scoop some out and into a bowl hours or the night before and put a little water in with it to liquify it, but it'll be enough for a reasonable amount of testing.

I can also send you a sample of P.160 at the same time.

If you want this PM me your address.

32 6,308
 09-12-2012, 12:57 PM
User Info
I only made a test lather, and haven't had a chance to use it yet as my face is still healing from my last bad shave. 3P smells delicious - I've never smelled marzipan, but to me, it smells exactly like a delicious amaretto.

The lather was extremely easy to make, and I had no problems working up a thick, cushiony quantity in no time. I hope to be able to shave with it tomorrow, but if not, Friday for sure. I'll update with my usage impressions later.

1 168
 09-12-2012, 01:00 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(09-12-2012, 12:35 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(09-11-2012, 09:05 PM)beartrap Wrote: Brian, I really want to see you compare P.160 to TFS Barbe Rosse. I haven't tried 3P but going by your description, I think TFS is a better performance substitute.

Biggrin

Like I need help maintaining my SAD! I've been begging folks to not send me more because I'm running out of room in the shave cabinet.

Tell you what... How about I send you a sample of 3P? You do the test? I have 160 virgin grams of 3P in the storage refrigerator, it'll come out of that.

You'll need to get creative with using it, like maybe scoop some out and into a bowl hours or the night before and put a little water in with it to liquify it, but it'll be enough for a reasonable amount of testing.

I can also send you a sample of P.160 at the same time.

If you want this PM me your address.

Well, since you put it this way, I am sending you TFS!
PM on the way Biggrin

88 4,233
 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM
User Info
Let's do it!

If TFS is a viable alternative the shave community can only win.

Thumbsup

32 6,308
 09-12-2012, 02:28 PM
User Info
Brian,
I'll join in on this as well. While I don't have TFS Barbe Rosse so I won't be able to comment on the scent, I do have the RazoRock La Famiglia versions of TFS and the P.160 from you. I actually just used P.160 today so I'll use some more La Famiglia/TFS soon. Off the top of my head though I want to say that P.160 is tallow based while TFS/La Famiglia is coconut oil based.

31 7,912
 09-12-2012, 06:58 PM
User Info
Excellent Brian!

32 6,308
 09-12-2012, 11:09 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Brian, that was an excellent write-up. I have enough P.160 to last for quite a while, but when the day comes, I will know what to look for.

Thanks

173 23,482
 09-13-2012, 01:19 AM
User Info
.....i've been in Italy for over 8 years and never seen 3P on the shelves........

39 1,054
 09-22-2012, 02:39 PM
User Info
So far I've tested 3P vs p.160, this post expands the search for a p.160 replacement to Valobra almond and TFS Barbe Rosse.

Note: I use the term "soap" to mean ANY fat or glycerine product that is saponified. Soap to me can be in a puck form, a cream, or whatever. If I mean a puck I write "puck". That means nothing here, but I will use the word "soap". Understand that what I test below isn't a puck, but it is definitely soap.

OK, I'm going to confess, I knew exactly what to expect from Valobra almond since I've been using it for quite some time. But I really wanted to compare it to 3P. The short story is that I find Vitos Red (I'm out of it but I remember it quite well), Valobra Almond, and 3P are in a group of their own, just below p.160 as far as face feel, especially after the shave. They are very good soaps, just not over the top the way p.160 is. Of those 3, IMO, 3P has the best scent. None would be a direct replacement for p.160. Each lacks a little something that keeps if from reaching that pinnacle.

But on to TFS BR (Tcheon Fung Sing Barbe Rosse).

I was sent the sample of TFS BR, so I don't know how old it is. I compared the scent of my old container of p.160 and the TFS BR scent was quite faint in comparison. After lathering up, it was still quite faint, so the larger quantity available for scent in the container of p.160 wasn't a factor. The scent was a pleasant almond scent, just weak. Anyone who has read my reviews knows that for me that's not a deal breaker. I'd rather have a too mild scent than one that wants to take the top of my head off with far too much scent.

I had a sample so I scraped a bit out of the container, put it in a mug and put 130°F water on it to soften the soap a bit. The consistency is a hard croap. Then I broke it up in the puddle to aid in the softening and breakup. I came back 15-20 minutes later for the shave.

I wanted an ultralather since that's how I've tested all of these products and it's the way I normally use most soaps/creams. An ultralather is made by using far too much product and adding enough water to make sure it doesn't dry out during the shave, and incorporate air as one normally would. By restricting the water the air can only do so much and no more. The difference is that both water and air are held back so that the full amount of lather that could be made with that quantity of soap isn't produced. What results is a fantastically rich lather.

Not wanting to start with too much water I used a bone dry badger brush and soaked up all of the water/soap mix. Working it around in the bowl a bit to make sure the soap was all broken up and soaked up. Then I put a few drops of water in the mug and swirled it around, and soaked that up as well. Then it was to my face for lathering.

TFS BR lathers very easily and of all the products I've tested as a replacement for p.160 thus far, this produced lather closest to it (I wish I had some Vitos Red to compare it to, so I withhold final judgement.)). It was very finely textured, dense, slick, in short it's very nice lather. Everything you'd expect from a top quality product. It was a great shave.

Where it comes up short as a direct replacement is in the face feel after the shave. P.160 is way over the top in good stuff for the face. When I'm done with a p.160 shave I really don't need to use any other product for the skin. The skin feels as though I just had an oil based moisturizer applied. TFS BR lacked that over the top moisturized feel.

But it is a very impressive product.

I have no idea what it's like if one puts as much air and water into it as it can hold while lathering. I also have no intention to find out. I use these, and most soaps, for the decadent lather for a great shave.

I have yet to test R160 and probably won't since I already have too many soaps. But of the ones I've tested so far, if I had to choose a replacement for p.160 today, it would be Vitos Red for the after the shave face feel. It's no slouch in the other characteristics of what makes a great soap either.

32 6,308
 09-22-2012, 03:12 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Excellent Brian! I am still doing my own testing and will find out next week if our opinions match.

88 4,233
 09-22-2012, 03:50 PM
User Info
You have R160 coming in do you not?

I'm curious to see how it compares.

32 6,308
 09-22-2012, 04:41 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Yes! I will have a full Italian line up to test. Just hope it won't turn me off that scent completely. Thank high powers, I will have a nice menthol aftershave to break the scent Wink

88 4,233
 09-23-2012, 12:44 AM
User Info
I happily have some P160 coming my way.... I look forward to having this in my rotation, as I'm beginning to appreciate 'croaps' ATM, and this sounds like it's at the top of it's class!!Shy

0 234
 09-23-2012, 12:57 AM
User Info
Great post there Brian.

Look forward to hearing you adding other types of croaps soon.

7 1,179
 09-23-2012, 03:46 AM
User Info
Thanks for the great reviews. They are an outstanding help for people that would like to know, how soaps perform and especially how they perform compared to eachother.

We get many customers that would like to know how soaps smell and to what other soaps they can be compared too. Then reviews like these are great to refer to.

I like the "ultralather" way of testing very much. Just get the best out of the soap!

Thanks!

Eric

0 224
 09-23-2012, 08:45 AM
User Info
(09-23-2012, 12:57 AM)Dipesh Wrote: Great post there Brian.

Look forward to hearing you adding other types of croaps soon.

Just today as I was shaving I was thinking to myself that, "Ahhh, now with everything possible I can think of to test tested, I can finally just relax and enjoy the software and hardware.". I hope that lasts for at least a short time.

It's time for others to take up the gauntle,not that they haven't. I need to concentrate on other things for the next few months.

I'm looking forward to Beartraps review of the R160.

32 6,308