11-30-2018, 02:46 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
In the Pet Showcase thread, Zipper shows us a picture of his watchdog named Rolex.  
A friend of ours who works for an airline adopted an opossum that was found and captured in the middle of the main runway of Portland International Airport; she named him Michelin.  

Let’s hear some others.

1 1,285
 11-30-2018, 05:52 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I had a wonderful Golden retriever we called Ali, after Mohammed Ali. The breeder said that our beast was the aggressive dog in the litter and was hoping that our athletic lifestyle would help train him better, when in fact Ali trained us to respect his needs and to allow him to bring happiness and peace into our lives. God rest his soul and I'll be seeing him as I cross the rainbow bridge.

0 345
 11-30-2018, 06:50 PM
User Info
I found and adopted a cat when a teenager and named "her" Mimi.  After my dad, a doctor, examined the cat and pronounced it a male, I had to change the name to "Mr. Mimi."

221 12,937
 11-30-2018, 06:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
[Image: F3uibWS.jpg]

This is Patches. She was found roaming the streets of Forest Hills by a person who worked with an animal rescue group called Animals Can’t talk. My wife found “her dog” while cruising the want ads in the newspaper. “That’s my dog,” she said. I wish I’d saved the actual photograph from the newspaper. She looked quite silly. In the ad, A.C.T. called her “sweet Olga.” It was the group’s custom to name their animals after the person who brought them in. This pic was taken within hours of her arriving in our lives, December 27, 2003 (Sidebar; we knew right away she wasn’t a red collar dog, so this one lasted only until we went to the pet supply store later that day and bought her a traditional black leather job.). One of our daughters suggested the name Baby. My wife suggested Mookie. But really, it was plain as the spots on her face. She was Patches.

10 3,163
 11-30-2018, 09:58 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Patches is a sweetheart. For sure. I'm in love!!!

0 345
 12-01-2018, 06:35 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-30-2018, 09:58 PM)Garb Wrote: Patches is a sweetheart. For sure. I'm in love!!!

Thanks for saying so. Patches was an wonderful pet. She passed on July 7, 2011. I still think of her every day. A few days after her passing, my friend said that he’d never seen another animal look at anyone the way Patches looked at me. We had a special relationship borne from hours long walks every day we were together. Going for walks was the most incredible and awesome activity for her. She never tired of them. When she got sick, we knew the end was in sight when she no longer wanted to go out. Oh, how I miss her and our time together.

10 3,163
 12-01-2018, 07:26 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
Our goldendoodle is  full-size (70 lbs)

His name is Frodo.

[Image: ZsDcU18.jpg]

63 1,762
 12-01-2018, 09:19 AM
User Info
Our rescued staffordshire is named shadow because he was always my shadow when we first got him. The other name we considered was velcro. At times to this day I have to be careful when I back up, especially if I'm in the kitchen. He's silent and has a tendency to be right behind me. He's a tripping hazard if I don't look first.

32 6,524
 12-01-2018, 11:28 AM
User Info
(12-01-2018, 06:35 AM)chazt Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 09:58 PM)Garb Wrote: Patches is a sweetheart. For sure. I'm in love!!!

Thanks for saying so. Patches was an wonderful pet. She passed on July 7, 2011. I still think of her every day. A few days after her passing, my friend said that he’d never seen another animal look at anyone the way Patches looked at me. We had a special relationship borne from hours long walks every day we were together. Going for walks was the most incredible and awesome activity for her. She never tired of them. When she got sick, we knew the end was in sight when she no longer wanted to go out. Oh, how I miss her and our time together.

I know your loss. Before Rolex, I had Ziggy (Schnauzer) he often went to work with me, we were always together, long walks, hours of just sitting in our swing.
I'm getting misty now. Every person who met him, loved him.

1 867
 12-01-2018, 12:05 PM
User Info
Here is Lucy part Schnauzer, she was a sweetheart

[Image: pddAKHH.jpg]

60 1,351
 12-01-2018, 01:12 PM
User Info
This is Emma (named after Emma Peel, a character in the old The Avengers TV show), the sweetest dog I've ever had, somewhat feeble in her final year.
[Image: QA8kZKw.jpg]

221 12,937
 12-01-2018, 01:22 PM
User Info
This is Hooter. We struggled to name him as a puppy so we said heck with it! Next thing we see will be his name! Hooters it was. It was also fitting because as a pup he had a habit of nipping my wife on her boob. Biggrin

[Image: yUUkmkr.jpg]

154 3,751
 12-01-2018, 02:41 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
 12-02-2018, 09:27 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Our dog’s name is Ollie, but when we’re annoyed with him it’s Oliver. I don’t know exactly why we named him Ollie/Oliver, other than it suits him. Our daughter-in-law has a Wheaton she named Rooney after Wayne Rooney. She’s a soccer addict, having gone to university on a soccer scholarship, and WR is her favourite player. Unfortunately, I don’t particularly like WR and refer to him as Shrek just to get up my daughter-in-law’s nose.?

9 1,041