11-30-2018, 03:32 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
This morning, in the reporting of the magnitude 7.0 earthquake in Anchorage, a reporter in New York City was elaborating on the complicating factors for emergency personnel who would be involved in rescue operations:  fissures and lacal landslides blocking roads, very cold weather, and . . . dark.  “The days are very short in Anchorage at this time of year,” she said.  “Here in New York, we’ll get sunset around 5:00 p.m., and the days are shorter in Anchorage, so the sun will be setting there very soon.”  As she said those words, it was 9:00 a.m. in Anchorage, and the sun was just coming up.  

In the reporting earlier this month about the Camp Fire that consumed the town of Paradise in Northern California, reporters invariably referred to Paradise as “just north of Sacramento," which is not totally incorrect:  Paradise is (was) at latitude 39.76 north while Sacramento is at latitude 38.55 north; in other words, Paradise is about as far north of Sacramento as Boston, latitude 42.00 north, is north of New York City, latitude 40.76 north; or Baltimore, Maryland, latitude 39.27, is south of New York City.  Do the same broadcasters generally add am appositive to Boston, as “north of New York City" or to Baltimore as “south of Times Square"?  

Of course, when NBC News has Miguel Almiguer, its “Western” correspondent, covering stories in Beijing, one recognizes how parochial the New York City news editors are.

1 1,282
 11-30-2018, 05:48 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I really believe these reporters, or some of them, are making these reports and trying to attract readers and/or listeners to their broadcasting stations or publications. I'm not in any situation to know exactly that to be the case but just look at the commercials that follow these reports. 

Too bad about the people working these disasters and forbid it to not be said, the victims as well.

I'm just hoping the quakes don't start rumbling across the pacific rim.

0 344
 12-02-2018, 09:25 AM
User Info
No one claimed that they were smart. Heck, just look a a map, Boston is just a little north of NYC! Biggrin

I am more convinced now than ever that they think they are the smartest things on 2 legs and that they can get away with telling us anything and that we'll believe them without question. Wrong!

32 6,524
 12-02-2018, 10:20 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-02-2018, 09:25 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: No one claimed that they were smart. Heck, just look a a map, Boston is just a little north of NYC! Biggrin

I am more convinced now than ever that they think they are the smartest things on 2 legs and that they can get away with telling us anything and that we'll believe them without question. Wrong!

Another aspect of geographical blindness in East Coast news critters:  regularly — probably more than half the time — they will refer to a National Forest as a National Park.  The National Parks (and National Monuments) are administered by the Department of the Interior for recreation and preservation, while the National Forests are adminisitered by the Department of Agriculture for (under the statute) multiple use and sustained yield (of timber).  Trivia question, stump your friends:  in only one of the categories the stewards on the ground are “rangers”; which one?

1 1,282
 12-02-2018, 04:29 PM
User Info
I often wonder just how much of the (mis)information provided by the news outlets is deliberate (grinding an axe) and just how much is ignorance of the particular topic they are reporting on. To some extent I suppose it really doesn't matter which it is. On the other hand, if it is deliberate we really need to expose that (think Dan Rather) and get them out of their position of influence. And this applies to all sides of the political spectrum.

Dave

1 141
 12-02-2018, 07:52 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Dare I say  "Fake news"?

0 344
 12-02-2018, 08:33 PM
User Info
It seems very typical, almost a European like reaction.  It is always interesting to see someone from Europe realize that geographically and cultural the US isn't one country, it's about 12.  I think we tend to forget it as well.

Yesterday on a podcast I heard a reporter, living and based in Houston, working for a publication based in New York, state that he was asked by an editor in the morning recently if he could shoot down that afternoon from Houston to the border in Tijuana to report on the news there.  "Um, that's like 1200 miles."

33 266
 12-02-2018, 08:34 PM
User Info
Yup, you do, and I do also Garb. Yet they don't even realize that they are producing fake news (giving them the benefit of the doubt but I think it's deliberate), yet they do. They are just smarter than you and I so they couldn't possibly be making that.

One needs to be very cognizant of what one allows the media to air. During the manhunt for the cop killer in my backyard in late April I allowed an interview that was aired on ABC nationally and all other stations locally, but I controlled what they got by what I said and showed. It was requested that I show them the rifle I was protecting my family and curtilage with and I declined. I don't trust them for very good reason. They twist things (fake news). I didn't want them to use me for their anti freedom narrative. What they got that was usable was my few seconds where I stated that, "He probably has more to fear from us than we have to fear from him.". Once we knew what was going on the entire hill locked and loaded. Yes, he was in my backyard at one point, probably while we were asleep. He probably tried to use my guinea fowl coop as a place to hide and then thought other. Guinea fowl are the watchdogs of the bird kingdom and don't take lightly to strangers. I set the door a certain way every night and it wasn't that way when I checked it in the morning. Someone had screwed with it.

32 6,524
 12-03-2018, 08:21 AM
User Info
(12-02-2018, 08:33 PM)Streambrewer Wrote: It seems very typical, almost a European like reaction.  It is always interesting to see someone from Europe realize that geographically and cultural the US isn't one country, it's about 12.  I think we tend to forget it as well.

Yesterday on a podcast I heard a reporter, living and based in Houston, working for a publication based in New York, state that he was asked by an editor in the morning recently if he could shoot down that afternoon from Houston to the border in Tijuana to report on the news there.  "Um, that's like 1200 miles."

Closer to fifty-two... speaking as an outside looking in, y'all are more different than you believe.

I don't expect a Norwegian news anchor to have a firm grasp on Icelandic geography and time zones... but I do expect that the people who write their copy ought to be bright enough to check such things before handing the script over.

3 5,822