09-11-2012, 11:11 PM
User Info
I came across this article late 2009 and haven't looked back. That day I ordered my first set up which consisted of a Parker razor, a Parker brush, and some VDH and have been on the traditional shaving bus ever since. It's been a great journey and I've meet a lot of great people along the way.

Has anyone else been influenced by this article?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/ns...ect-shave/

5 938
 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I read that article but that was not what influenced me. I was influenced by my Dad back in the early 50's and I've never looked back.

173 23,546
 09-11-2012, 11:54 PM
User Info
In my case it was the opposite. My dad was like a lot of people and kept moving on to the latest and greatest razor, so when I was of age, I was introduced to the Sensor Excel and continued the pattern. Not long after I switched to using a DE and brush, I converted him back, and low and behold he still had his old black handled Gillette adjustable which he has resurrected and uses along w/ a 1950 SS I bought him.

5 938
 09-12-2012, 12:34 AM
User Info
Tom, that article was one of the influential factors in getting me into traditional wetshaving.

I've also been trying to convert my Dad, and he's taking back to it slowly but surely. He likes Arko, a TGN Finest bulb in a restored Drake handle and a Gillette SS.

47 1,270
 09-12-2012, 05:03 PM
User Info
I was influenced by great Italian Barbers... one of them being my father inlaw; wet shaving is a great thing!

3 315
 09-12-2012, 06:27 PM
User Info
(09-11-2012, 11:54 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: In my case it was the opposite. My dad was like a lot of people and kept moving on to the latest and greatest razor, so when I was of age, I was introduced to the Sensor Excel and continued the pattern. Not long after I switched to using a DE and brush, I converted him back, and low and behold he still had his old black handled Gillette adjustable which he has resurrected and uses along w/ a 1950 SS I bought him.

That's great Tom,seeing your Pops going full circle back to the good stuff.All I remember is my Dad using SuperSpeeds.Now that I've seen and used a Flying Wing Bullet Tip Micromatic...I'm thinking my Dad had to have owned one of those back then knowing his personality and WWII Airforce background.Wish I would have discovered those when he was still around to ask him about it.

I didn't read any articles,one day I went to the grocery with my Wife and helped with the shopping for a change and hit the roof when I saw how much they were starting to charge for those lousy Fusion blades.I'd already been going retro in other areas in my life and decided to make it a priority for shaving.

Except for consumer electronics and medical advances,I don't think there's many things that have improved,and in a lot of cases the quality's gone downhill.

7 414
 09-12-2012, 06:42 PM
User Info
(09-12-2012, 06:27 PM)razorx Wrote: I didn't read any articles,one day I went to the grocery with my Wife and helped with the shopping for a change and hit the roof when I saw how much they were starting to charge for those lousy Fusion blades.I'd already been going retro in other areas in my life and decided to make it a priority for shaving.

I'm surprised this alone doesn't convert more people, however, for someone like me up until I saw that article I didn't even know anything else existed.

5 938
 09-12-2012, 06:54 PM
User Info
I didn't know of the article until just now, so the answer for me is no, it didn't influence me.

32 6,309
 09-12-2012, 08:46 PM
User Info
i have read the article, but i was already shaving with my DEs by then.

75 20,883
 09-13-2012, 02:45 PM
User Info
That was the article that converted me. I always never liked shaving and tried all sorts of razors and products (without knowing any of the "traditional" stuff). In fact my first setup was the one recommended by Corey and through the links in the article (to Classic Shaving). Then, by looking up opinions about the brush (Vulfix 2235) I found B&B and then off to the races.

72 1,407
 09-18-2012, 04:50 PM
User Info
Never seen it before - I think I stumbled across B&B which introduced me to shaving - but nice to read an article that actually gets it right!

0 95