12-01-2018, 11:56 AM
User Info
As many may know from my post under Soaps....I have Atopic Dermatitis and Contact Dermatitis…. Angry 
Had Atopic all my life, the other is fairly new.
So this Doctor, who is not as old as my oldest razor, advises that I shave wrong.
No more two or three pass shaves. ONE ONLY wtg. also I'm to skip a few days a week !
I have shaved EVERY DAY (minus days in hospital) for the last 52 years .
I know many of you skip the weekend, maybe shave every other day .
OK, every man to his own. BUT have you ever heard of only shaving with the grain..... Huh 
I can shave a two pass if I need a really good BBS, just not every day.

1 868
 12-01-2018, 12:00 PM
User Info
(12-01-2018, 11:56 AM)zipper Wrote: As many may know from my post under Soaps....I have Atopic Dermatitis and Contact Dermatitis…. Angry 
So this Doctor, who is not as old as my oldest razor, advises that I shave wrong.
No more two or three pass shaves. ONE ONLY wtg. also I'm to skip a few days a week !
OK, every man to his own. BUT have you ever heard of only shaving with the grain..... Huh 

two types of doctors in the world:
1) those who understand shaving and shavers
2) those who don't

60 1,351
 12-01-2018, 12:27 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(12-01-2018, 11:56 AM)zipper Wrote: BUT have you ever heard of only shaving with the grain..... Huh 
It's normal with skin inflammation, specially if chronic in the acute phase.
As pharmacist with dermocosmetic specialization I've studied ... but you can find it on the web.

BTW, I'm a SR user too, and with a nice edge I do not need more than a good one pass to have DFS.
I look for comfort before performance, because I've sensitive skin too.

When you have not skin issue, in the inactive phase of dermatitis, you can do this:
https://translate.google.it/translate?hl...26t%3D7786
It works great for me. BBS in one pass, every time.

0 1,523
 12-01-2018, 12:59 PM
User Info
(12-01-2018, 12:27 PM)ischiapp Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 11:56 AM)zipper Wrote: BUT have you ever heard of only shaving with the grain..... Huh 
It's normal with skin inflammation, specially if chronic in the acute phase.
As pharmacist with dermocosmetic specialization I've studied ... but you can find it on the web.

BTW, I'm a SR user too, and with a nice edge I do not need more than a good one pass to have DFS.
I look for comfort before performance, because I've sensitive skin too.

When you have not skin issue, in the inactive phase of dermatitis, you can do this:
https://translate.google.it/translate?hl...26t%3D7786
It works great for me. BBS in one pass, every time.
Thanks for the link. That was/is very helpful..... Cheers

1 868
 12-01-2018, 09:30 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
While I can get an appearance acceptable, near DFS with one pass, I don’t like how it feels. Plus, karma-wise, it feels like I’ve wasted my time. Why bother? My opinion is, if you don’t mind getting a less than (to you) acceptable shave, do the daily one pass. Otherwise, skip a day or two and go for the more satisfying shave.

10 3,163
 12-02-2018, 02:41 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have always done two pass shaves, one WTG and one ATG.  But, if I am in a hurry, in other words, just shave for the sake of shaving, I will do two passes WTG.  Gets me by for the day.

181 25,140
 12-02-2018, 04:04 AM
User Info
It's all a matter of determining what your skin can take.  As Johnny suggested, two WTG passes may be a good option for you.

53 8,305
 12-02-2018, 05:12 AM
User Info
Glad you have discoverd how to better enjoy your shaves without irritation. 

50 4,737
 12-02-2018, 10:54 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I understand your problem. I have sensitive skin and I am prone to getting ingrown hairs, so I only do 2 WTG passes. Sometimes, I will only do 1 pass, but that’s if I’m in a hurry. My skin also gets irritated if I go too long without shaving as well. I grew a beard for halloween and it irritated my skin pretty bad. I’ve only been shaving every other day for the past month to try to get back to normal.

3 640
 12-02-2018, 11:21 AM
User Info
I’ve spent this entire year shaving primarily every-other day, and it’s been fantastic for my skin. I understand not every gent can do this, but it really does make a substantial difference letting your face heal a bit longer.

31 1,629
 12-02-2018, 12:42 PM
User Info
It's been three days doing a pathetic one pass, today I did a more successful two pass WTG, still can't get the above the lip feeling right.
I will either get use to it are get better. I will try every other day I think, if my current program doesn't work well. Like DayMan, if I grew a beard or even a mustache,
that hair covered area would look like a Lepper when I shaved it off. That's not an exaggeration. It looks like dandruff of the face..... Angry

1 868
 12-02-2018, 03:36 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I once felt like a two pass shave was much more detrimental to my face than WTG once. I even grew out my goat to give my face a break. But that's me and we're all different. Another type of balm might work good for some of you as well. Some of the AS's we use can almost burn us.

0 345
 12-02-2018, 04:45 PM
User Info
I used to do single pass when I used carts. Anything more and I risked ingrown hairs and irritation. Once I found wet shaving with a DE or otherwise, my technique drastically improved, allowing multi pass shaves [mostly] sans ingrown hairs or irritation. I’ll still get an occasional ingrown hair, but usually from a new to me razor and or occasional user error. I’ll still do a single pass if I’m in a rush and NEED to shave.

8 448
 12-02-2018, 05:02 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I've got my routine down pretty good by now but about 3 weeks ago I took a major slice while I got distracted working the sideburns. Focus my friends as in all things worth doing.

0 345
 12-02-2018, 05:36 PM
User Info
Today I tried this approach. The Rx as the tool of choice as, to me, it is the most efficient razor in one single pass in my den. 1 pass WTG got 80% to DFS. Its seems there are a few areas where there is no way I can get to DFS with WTG passes, like the mustache area and a couple difficult spots. At this point I believe the Rx can give a DFS with a single diagonal XTG/WTG pass, just need to refine the technique. 
I have to say, the hardest part was building a good lather with less soap. I hate to waste product but getting the bristles saturated, at least the tips, seems critical to build a good lather.  
I think it's doable.

9 1,466
 12-03-2018, 04:44 AM
User Info
I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin. The tactics I have adopted lately that have truly changed my level of irritation:

1. Cold water shaving has made the biggest difference.
2. Two passes only but 1st XTG at a 45 degree angle to the growth North to South. 2nd pass 45 degrees angle in South to North opposite direction to the 1st pass.
3. Shaving 30 hours instead of every day. So shaving in morning one day then the following night before bed.

That is what has improved my shaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 46
 12-03-2018, 05:46 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(12-02-2018, 04:04 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: It's all a matter of determining what your skin can take.
+1

In chronic skin disease, shaving can be a big challenge.
In Italy people say "the drop digs the rock".
Every single pass add inflammation, no matter how good is the technique.

0 1,523
 12-03-2018, 11:34 AM
User Info
(12-03-2018, 05:46 AM)ischiapp Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 04:04 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: It's all a matter of determining what your skin can take.
+1

In chronic skin disease, shaving can be a big challenge.
In Italy people say "the drop digs the rock".
Every single pass add inflammation, no matter how good is the technique.

Signs011  I believe it.

1 868
 12-03-2018, 12:16 PM
User Info
(12-01-2018, 12:00 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 11:56 AM)zipper Wrote: As many may know from my post under Soaps....I have Atopic Dermatitis and Contact Dermatitis…. Angry 

two types of doctors in the world:
1) those who understand shaving and shavers
2) those who don't

Biggrin Amen!

0 52
 12-03-2018, 02:46 PM
User Info
Used to do three pass shaves regularly. I only do two now (no ATG) and I’ve never had foliculitis or ingrown hairs ensue since that change.

For me, it works well. I miss the true BBS but the lack of complications makes it worth it.

19 311