12-02-2018, 06:11 AM
User Info
I’m looking to buy a new shave soap and I have never tried either of these brands. Both seem to generally receive high marks in regards to performance.

I am considering Nuavia Rossa vs. SV in a scent yet to be determined, but leaning towards Felce or Mirto, as I prefer herbal/woody scents.

For those who have tried both brands, would you mind to suggest which you would prefer if forced to choose one? Thanks in advance for any reply.

11 487
 12-02-2018, 07:16 AM
User Info
Joe,  I suspect more have tried SV, so why not buy both and do a comparison? SV makes a luxurious lather with outstanding protective and great glide. Foŕ me, Dolomiti is my favourite,  not floral but slightly different from other soap brands. I'm hopeless at describing scents!

0 140
 12-02-2018, 07:26 AM
User Info
They're both fantastic Italian soaps. 

The Saponificio Varesino is a triple milled soap, so it takes a bit more work to lather-not a lot, it makes a great lather. The Nuàvia is at the top of my list of non-tallow soaps. Hard to believe the performance I experience with a soap with so few ingredients. The post-shave feel on both are top tier, with a tiny edge going to the Nuàvia. SV makes perhaps the best aftershaves out there. 

The Nuàvia Rossa scent, to my nose, is a Colonia-style scent.

You can't go wrong with either one. I've found both of these soaps to be very long lasting, so the initial investment is steep, they do last. All things considered, if I had to choose, I'd choose the Nuàvia.

30 902
 12-02-2018, 09:45 AM
User Info
Rossa is an Oud scent AFAIK. SV’s Oud scent is Tundra Artica.

3 45
 12-02-2018, 10:18 AM
User Info
SV is triple milled, so will give you many shaves.

Nuavia is soft. And the recent blue that I tried barely had any sense at all.

They both will generate terrific lathers. But because SV does it At a much lower price point And has a very nice selection of scents that are at a good strength level , for me, the decision is easy.

compare the price of three tubs Nuavia with one tub of SV... and that's probably equivalent number of uses. That astronomical price increase is just not worth a tiny increase in lather quality. and some people could make the argument that the Nuavia lather is not as good as SV.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

0 3
 12-02-2018, 11:07 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
At the moment, I have two SV and two Nuavia soaps. I reach for the SV Cosmo at least 4x over the others. That selection frequency is due to the scent of Cosmo. I quite enjoy it.

For shave performance, I give the advantage to Nuavia. Is it worth the price difference? I can’t say.

In my case, the Nuavia Blu and Rossa are much stronger scents than the SV.

63 1,762
 12-02-2018, 11:37 AM
User Info
I have Nuavia Verde, and SV 70th. Both produce rich lather with great face-feel. As previously mentioned, Nuavia is softer. I enjoy both and would have a difficult time choosing between them.

31 1,629
 12-02-2018, 12:58 PM
User Info
Both are top tier for me, and am struggling to decide which I would choose over the other. Saponificio Varesino, as mentioned previously is a harder soap, and ~$20 cheaper per tub. Something I’ve noticed with the most recent iteration is it is softer than previous versions. I’ve reached a ring of death in Stella Alpina, something I haven’t achieved in any other of the SV soaps. Take that for whatever it’s worth.
I guess at this point just choose whichever you fancy the scent notes. Rossa is Amber with woody notes, which I like for colder weather. Mirto is one of two SV that I’ve yet to use, the other being Tundra.
Whichever you choose is sure to be a winner performance wise.

8 448
 12-02-2018, 01:24 PM
User Info
Most creams and soaps will make a good lather, but the first time I used Dolomiti,  the first SV I bought, the lather was way above any others. There was something about it which made it stand out.

0 140
 12-02-2018, 03:30 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I've only had the SV soaps so can't compare but I'm very happy with these two. It'll be tough to not restock these once they're finished will be 8weeks out at the rate I'm using them. They both lather well and don't need much coaxing to make the lather perfect for face lathering, like I do

0 345
 12-02-2018, 07:13 PM
User Info
IMO, both are great.  My favorite SV is the fern.  Nuavia gives me the best post-shave of any soap/creams I have used so far.  I am sure you will soon buy both.

1 88
 12-02-2018, 07:27 PM
User Info
(12-02-2018, 11:37 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I have Nuavia Verde, and SV 70th. Both produce rich lather with great face-feel. As previously mentioned, Nuavia is softer. I enjoy both and would have a difficult time choosing between them.

Both of those are Acqua di Gio inspired I believe, what do you like scent-wise between these two?

3 45
 12-03-2018, 04:27 AM
User Info
Fact is, we live in the greatest time in shaving history. All the wonderful soaps, razors, brushes....A wave of shaving craftsmen/women, enjoy the wave...
In the end you will get both I think, soooo just flip a coin, you can't lose .  Smile

1 867
 12-03-2018, 05:54 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
I love both products.
They are certainly the best of Italian production.

But there is an important difference.
PC has a cosmetic target, focusing on fragrances.
SV has a dermatological target, focusing on active ingredients.

https://translate.google.it/translate?hl...%23p292397

0 1,523
 12-03-2018, 07:46 AM
User Info
The focus on skin care, is probably why I have had no skin problems since using SV. 
I will avoid PC If its focus in on scents.

0 140
 12-03-2018, 10:18 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(12-03-2018, 07:46 AM)Roy Wrote: I will avoid PC If its focus in on scents.
If you can you would like to try it.
I'll explain.

SV has a different technique.
Each product has a different base, specific for the type of skin.
Fragrances are a consequence of the formulation.

PC has an excellent veg base, unique for the whole new line.
But the fragrances are sought after and powerful.

0 1,523
 12-03-2018, 08:16 PM
User Info
I have PC Rossa and Blue. I also have SV Alpina, Artica and Manna.

Both make great lathers.

My favorite by a whisker is PC Rossa.

Close second is SV Alpina.

Really tough choice. Edge in price obviously to SV. Edge in scent, scent strength, and container to PC. [obviously scent preference is subjective]

PERFORMANCE - Coin flip

Buy one of each

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

0 120
 12-03-2018, 09:39 PM
User Info
(12-02-2018, 07:27 PM)DBlitz Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 11:37 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I have Nuavia Verde, and SV 70th. Both produce rich lather with great face-feel. As previously mentioned, Nuavia is softer. I enjoy both and would have a difficult time choosing between them.

Both of those are Acqua di Gio inspired I believe, what do you like scent-wise between these two?

I didn’t realize how similar they are. SV is the stronger of the two, featuring a brighter scent. They are both fantastic - indeed, the SV aftershave lasts a good 4+ hours on the skin, with close projection.

31 1,629
 12-04-2018, 04:36 AM
User Info
I prefer SV over Nuavia by a fairly large margin. The price of Nuavia is outrageous for what you get soap wise leaving packaging out of the equation. The scents of Nuavia though are remarkably well done. SV does a great job with their scents as well. Performance between them is different both very good but not elite.

0 218
 12-04-2018, 06:30 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(12-04-2018, 04:36 AM)bennett Wrote: The price of Nuavia is outrageous for what you get soap wise leaving packaging out of the equation.

+1

Unfortunatelly ...  It's not allowed.
I'd like a refill, without that jewel-ish coffin!!
BTW, a triple milled hard soap is not a croap ... with or without packaging.

0 1,523