09-12-2012, 07:42 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
And it has made a huge difference for me.

Thanks to someone here, (I've very sorry that I don't recall whom),for the last several shaves, I've been doing double WTG passes and then going to my usual XTG and then ATG pass.

The theory behind this was that with my thick, wiry beard and very sensitive skin, the final ATG pass, no matter what I did prior, still left too much beard to cut comfortably without irritation/burn and sometimes weepers. I found myself applying pressure to rid too much beard with the final pass.

Adding an extra WTG helps tremendously in this regard for me. It leaves quite a bit less stubble for the final pass.
Now, one could argue that an extra XTG pass, be it in the same direction or in the other direction would accomplish the same thing and it may work for some but I've found that using the extra XTG pass as opposed to an extra WTG pass equaled a bit more irritation for me so I kept the extra WTG pass and I don't think I'll be looking back anytime soon. Smile

Lastly, I also find that adding the extra WTG pass equaling a total of four passes, negates the need for any touch up at the end of the shave. That is great for me as well because sometimes I'd get a bit too aggressive with the blade buffing or J-hooking.

Of course, YMMV but is there anyone else consistently using a four pass shave and if so, what are your preferred patterns???

Eric

6 905
 09-12-2012, 07:55 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I haven't done it in the while, mostly because I am lazy and it takes time in the morning. When I do shave weekends, I indulge myself to 4 pass shave WTG/XTG/XTG/ATG.

88 4,233
 09-12-2012, 08:18 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I'm just trying to remember when the last time was that I did a three pass shave.

173 23,488
 09-12-2012, 08:55 AM
  • Eskimo
  • Artisan & Custom Shaving Equipment
User Info
It must be that my beard is just not that heavy, but I've tried 4 passes and can't really feel a difference vs 3, and not terribly different than 2 (WTG/ATG)

4 286
 09-12-2012, 10:53 AM
User Info
(09-12-2012, 07:42 AM)EHV Wrote: ...Of course, YMMV but is there anyone else consistently using a four pass shave and if so, what are your preferred patterns???

Eric

Hi Eric,

I also have very tough stubble and somehow sensitive skin. I noticed quite an improvement (as in less irritation) after I started to use Potassium Alum, to the point that I now can rub the stubble on my neck without fear. I use it regularly, well... almost since I sometimes skip a day or two.
I know from my experience that for me fewer passes = irritation-free shave. So, I only do two passes ATG. I find that if I shave WTG I cannot get a close shave and, what is most annoying, the stubble left behind is sharp. I believe that is due to the angle is being cut.
The two ATG passes work for me the best.

This article helped me understand some issues:

Insights into shaving and ...

As always, YMMV.

7 358
 09-12-2012, 10:57 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
If I shaved every day I could get away with WTG/ATG, but since I shave every other day, I do a 4 pass shave. I did try 2 WTG for a couple of months, but have now gone back to WTG/XTG/ATG/XTG.

0 204
 09-12-2012, 08:45 PM
User Info
Eric, congratulations on your success.

75 20,883
 09-13-2012, 01:51 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thanks guys!
As Brian mentioned, I should have stated that I usually shave every other day too and this may account for the need for 4 passes.
Ideally, every 36 hours would be best but time-wise, that doesn't work for me.

If I were shaving every day, I think I'd have to limit it to two passes. ATG and XTG. That would likely equal a decent DFS and limit irritation.

(09-12-2012, 10:57 AM)njpaddy Wrote: If I shaved every day I could get away with WTG/ATG, but since I shave every other day, I do a 4 pass shave. I did try 2 WTG for a couple of months, but have now gone back to WTG/XTG/ATG/XTG.

6 905
 09-13-2012, 01:54 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I do 3 passes now. 2 WTG and 1 XTG. My neck is just way too sensitive for ATG now.

116 3,804
 09-13-2012, 01:57 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thanks for that article. I'll have to check it out.
I actually see a dermatologist and we've discussed wetshaving on a few occasions. He understands the process and the benefits but he's an Orthodox Jew and will not take a blade to his face, only an electric razor....yet that has blades too but I digress...

Unfortunately, I cannot tolerate alum. It causes horrible bumps and a rash plus, it burns no matter how good the shave is.
Witch hazel or Krampert's Finest A/S followed by USB every time out for me.

I'm always jealous of the guys that can go straight to ATG passes. I'd be lit up with weepers no matter how good my prep or how many days that I had/hadn't shaved previously.

(09-12-2012, 10:53 AM)VerbaVolant Wrote:
(09-12-2012, 07:42 AM)EHV Wrote: ...Of course, YMMV but is there anyone else consistently using a four pass shave and if so, what are your preferred patterns???

Eric

Hi Eric,

I also have very tough stubble and somehow sensitive skin. I noticed quite an improvement (as in less irritation) after I started to use Potassium Alum, to the point that I now can rub the stubble on my neck without fear. I use it regularly, well... almost since I sometimes skip a day or two.
I know from my experience that for me fewer passes = irritation-free shave. So, I only do two passes ATG. I find that if I shave WTG I cannot get a close shave and, what is most annoying, the stubble left behind is sharp. I believe that is due to the angle is being cut.
The two ATG passes work for me the best.

This article helped me understand some issues:

Insights into shaving and ...

As always, YMMV.

6 905
 09-13-2012, 02:04 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I used to do a 4 pass shave,and I even made a vidoe about it (Spanish and Portuguese) :

No,I do 3 or two passes and thats all : I know how to get a very close shave in just two passes and a "half".

86 7,123