09-12-2012, 08:08 AM
User Info
I resently traded a razor from a friend in sweden the the brand is Heljestrand made in sweden
it look very old and is like the gem lather catcher in design
if any one has some info on this razor it would be great help

0 19
 09-12-2012, 08:14 AM
User Info
That's a fine looking old razor. Let us know how it shaves.

184 12,003
 09-12-2012, 08:16 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Beautiful razor you have there.
Does it take SE or wedge blades?

2 505
 09-12-2012, 09:29 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
It appears to be in excellent condition. Congratulations and use it well.

100 12,445
 09-12-2012, 10:52 PM
User Info
Well, it took me many hours to get back to this. No one else has Waits Safety Razor Compendium who has seen your razor I suppose.

On page H3 it shows what you have. It's a Swedish razor sold out of Paris, France. Single edge, wedge blade, comb guard. Various sets were marketed into the 1930s.

OK, so the manufacturer has recalled them and has put me in charge of collecting them. PM me to get the address to send it to.

And if you believe that I have ocean front property in Nebraska for sale, maybe a few bridges too.

That's just my way of saying that I really like what you have. It's absolutely awesome! I can't tell you what it's worth, I suppose it's what folks will pay, but if I had it in my possession it wouldn't be for sale at any price. But that's me; I love SE razors especially lather catchers. The fact that it takes wedge blades sorta throws a wet blanket on it though, unless it will take spine back blades. Some will.

BTW, if you ever want to sell it I have dibs.

32 6,309
 09-13-2012, 12:43 AM
User Info
A Brazilian friend from the Portuguese forum has one Heljestrand very much alike the one that you have. I think that he uses standard SE razors with it (the GEM SE blades from connaught), but I may be wrong.

You can see a photo of it here.

He is not a member here, but he is a member of B&B, you can contact him there, under the same alias (cegadede).

2 5,532
 09-13-2012, 05:52 PM
User Info
Fron the pictures it looks as though it has the same sort of blade holding arrangement as my EverReady '06. I use SE blades in it.

32 6,309
 09-13-2012, 06:04 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
To me it looks like a lather catcher or some idea of it.

88 4,233
 09-13-2012, 06:56 PM
User Info
Want me to test it for you? I'll write a review and send it back. Tracking both ways for your peace of mind. I'll probably never own one, so I get something and you get to save your face- I'm the guinea pig who gets to try it. I gotta tell you, for me it would be a privilege.

32 6,309
 09-14-2012, 04:21 AM
User Info
I have tried so personna SE blades they fit but are a bit lose
I have some wilkison sword wedge I will try one of them
I suppose that rules out shaving with it.Sad
Paul

(09-13-2012, 12:43 AM)oversaturn Wrote: A Brazilian friend from the Portuguese forum has one Heljestrand very much alike the one that you have. I think that he uses standard SE razors with it (the GEM SE blades from connaught), but I may be wrong.

You can see a photo of it here.

He is not a member here, but he is a member of B&B, you can contact him there, under the same alias (cegadede).
After looking at the picture I think this one is missing the second part of the handle
Paul

0 19
 09-14-2012, 10:53 AM
User Info
Paul, if you don't mind doing minor surgery on it...

there is a flip up spring blade holder at the rear, and 2 tabs that hold a wedge blade down against the head. The 2 side clips can be bent down ever so little, just to make sure they hold the blade down. It looks like they are spring loaded same as on the ER '06, so even if you bend the tabs too much, the springs will give and still allow it to work. DO NOT do anything to the springs. Just the tabs. If you need pictures I can supply what I mean using my ER '06.

32 6,309
 09-14-2012, 07:51 PM
User Info
That is a gorgeous razor. Good luck.

75 20,883