12-11-2018, 04:26 PM
User Info
I bought a 5/8  torrey and a 11/16 wade and butcher.  I was going to have them both restored by maggard, but want to rescale one (not both) and was going to give away/sell the other one.  I don't know anything about straight razors.  Can someone please give some input for how they feel or is it basically what I like and I have to use them first?

0 391
 12-11-2018, 04:30 PM
User Info
 12-11-2018, 06:19 PM
User Info
Which one is in better condition?  That is the one I would choose to restore.  Either one can be a fine shaver.

54 8,458
 12-12-2018, 01:10 AM
User Info
Butcher

0 22
 12-12-2018, 03:00 AM
User Info
[Image: tenor.png]

I know; space to store, time to use, etc. Ricardo has a good suggestion if you'll keep just one.

3 5,947
 12-12-2018, 04:28 AM
User Info
The one with less honewear, more even blade and spine, and less pitting near the edge.

9 1,471
 12-12-2018, 05:12 AM
User Info
Neither of the razors have pitting issues.  They are both in great condition.  I could restore both and put new scales on one later once I decide.  The Wade and Butcher is considerably heavier and may be a little harder to maneuver.

0 391
 12-12-2018, 05:21 AM
User Info
The hollow Torrey.  Not a huge fan of small wedges...YMMV. When they get as much hone wear as the Butcher has they are usually a good candidate for a regrind.

3 836
 12-13-2018, 03:48 AM
User Info
(12-12-2018, 03:00 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: [Image: tenor.png]

I know; space to store, time to use, etc. Ricardo has a good suggestion if you'll keep just one.

+1

60 1,383
 12-13-2018, 05:18 AM
User Info
Thanks.  I guess i'll have to get them both restored, figure out which one I like more, then put the new scales on that one.

0 391
 12-13-2018, 12:50 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I really don't want to be the party pooper, but neither is worth restoring if you do not have a sentimental attachment (grandpas's razor). I take it you do not as you are will to sell or give the other away. Both are worth honing and will give you a great shave. 

When I first started, I emailed  Alfredo (Doc226) and he talked me out of a restoration. I am truly appreciative of his advice. Restoring a razor can be pretty expensive ($200+). Just rescaling will run $90ish.  

The rule of thumb for straight razor value is, the bigger the more expensive. That being said, a 5/8 or 11/16 razor is rarely worth paying someone to restore. The exception would be a truly rare razor or one having sentimental value. 

For the price of restoring a razor, you can get a really nice, and visually appealing vintage razor, or modern if that's your thing. 

I am sorry if I offend you, trust me that is not my intention. In fact, Brad Maggard has a link on his page about what razors to restore. He says the same thing. I would post a link but I am not sure if it's allowed. 

Again, I would send them off to be honed and give them a try. They are good brands/steel and definitely worth using. Honing both will run about $20 each. It is worth having two as you will want to keep using one when you send the other out to refresh the edge.

93 1,761
 12-13-2018, 01:43 PM
User Info
(12-13-2018, 12:50 PM)Gabe Wrote: I really don't want to be the party pooper, but neither is worth restoring if you do not have a sentimental attachment (grandpas's razor). I take it you do not as you are will to sell or give the other away. Both are worth honing and will give you a great shave. 

When I first started, I emailed  Alfredo (Doc226) and he talked me out of a restoration. I am truly appreciative of his advice. Restoring a razor can be pretty expensive ($200+). Just rescaling will run $90ish.  

The rule of thumb for straight razor value is, the bigger the more expensive. That being said, a 5/8 or 11/16 razor is rarely worth paying someone to restore. The exception would be a truly rare razor or one having sentimental value. 

For the price of restoring a razor, you can get a really nice, and visually appealing vintage razor, or modern if that's your thing. 

I am sorry if I offend you, trust me that is not my intention. In fact, Brad Maggard has a link on his page about what razors to restore. He says the same thing. I would post a link but I am not sure if it's allowed. 

Again, I would send them off to be honed and give them a try. They are good brands/steel and definitely worth using. Honing both will run about $20 each. It is worth having two as you will want to keep using one when you send the other out to refresh the edge.

i contacted brad and he said 'These are definitely worth restoring'.  The restoration quote was WAY below your numbers.  My question was pertaining to the differences between a 5/8 to 6/8 and wedge vs hollow and how they shave differently.    Thanks.

0 391
 12-13-2018, 02:52 PM
User Info
Let's keep in mind that the cost of a restoration depends on both the condition of the razor and the degree of restoration.   A full, high end restoration with nice custom scales can cost $200, as suggested by Gabe.  There are also light restorations which cost substantially less.

54 8,458
 12-13-2018, 03:36 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(12-13-2018, 01:43 PM)asiliski Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 12:50 PM)Gabe Wrote: I really don't want to be the party pooper, but neither is worth restoring if you do not have a sentimental attachment (grandpas's razor). I take it you do not as you are will to sell or give the other away. Both are worth honing and will give you a great shave. 

i contacted brad and he said 'These are definitely worth restoring'.  The restoration quote was WAY below your numbers.  My question was pertaining to the differences between a 5/8 to 6/8 and wedge vs hollow and how they shave differently.    Thanks.

That's great news. I have had the pleasure of owning a razor restored by Brad. He doe great work. The grind was a little too heavy for my tastes, but I LOVED the look. If you are asking about the wedge or hollow, that's personal preference. 

Please post a pic of the finished razors.  Thumbup

[Image: FLhgkxm.jpg]

93 1,761