09-12-2012, 09:19 AM
User Info
First, I have never used preshave oil. I've always been part of the "if you use proper prep, it's unnecessary" camp. But I have a bottle of pure jojoba oil that I sometimes use as a moisturizer. The other day, I thought, "Hmmm...let me use a couple drops of this and see how it goes."

After my shave, I noticed an oily residue had built up on the head of my razor that wouldn't wash off with just hot water. Did I use too much? Should I have used something else other than jojoba oil? Or is this pretty much normal?

I'll probably eventually return to the "if you use proper prep, it's unnecessary" camp, but it did make for a nice shave, which is why I'm curious about the residue situation.

2 129
 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
User Info
I've tried the Pacific Shaving Company's shaving oil, both as a preshave and as a standalone shaving oil, and had no problems with it. It's nice and thin. On the other hand, I tried the Art of Shaving's preshave oil, and it gummed up my razor pretty badly, and caused skipping. It really depends on what kind(s) of oil(s) used. I'm not sure about jojoba oil, I know that it's used in a lot of blends, but my guess would be it's mixed with something a lot thinner.

2 362
 09-12-2012, 11:45 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Depends the brand (ingredients) and how much you use of it.
If you use the right amount, shouldn't leave that gunk on your razor.

86 7,123
 09-12-2012, 05:19 PM
User Info
Thanks, guys. Sounds like I either used too much or should have used something other than just pure jojoba oil.

2 129
 09-12-2012, 05:25 PM
User Info
I find the thinner PSOs work better and do not gunk up the razors like the thicker ones, AOS for example.

5 938
 09-12-2012, 05:51 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
The thinner pre-shave oils are the way to go. I have no problem with them gumming up my razor.

2 11,211
 09-12-2012, 08:21 PM
User Info
(09-12-2012, 11:29 AM)sethleupagus Wrote: On the other hand, I tried the Art of Shaving's preshave oil, and it gummed up my razor pretty badly, and caused skipping.

I'm using a sample of the AOS preshave oil and have not had any problem with it gumming my razor. I thought it seemed pretty thin, but I don't have much to compare it to other than my home made grape seed and castor oil mix.

0 836
 09-12-2012, 08:48 PM
User Info
It shouldn't be leaving residue on your razors. Jojoba is quite thick and you may have you a tad too much.

75 20,883
 10-31-2012, 08:49 AM
User Info
Some oils can make a residue that is difficult to remove some vegetable oils are known for this

0 34
 10-31-2012, 01:13 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have used some massage oil that we had laying around the house as a pre-shave oil and it didn't clog up the razor. It did however cause the whiskers to stick to the side of the sink at the water line so I had to take an extra minute after the shave to clean up the sink before my wife discovered the mess.

127 2,387
 11-01-2012, 05:50 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Try "Shave Secret". (Available @ Wal Mart for like $3.99). There is a recent thread on here about it and we have been discussing it. I have been using it for about a week now and am sold on it. This stuff washes away easily and I haven't found any residue on my razors. Also no whiskers hugging the sides of the sink. I would also say moderation is key. It doesn't take very much to achieve the goals ascribed to PSO. Also although I've never tried, it seems EVERYONE think AOS PSO is too thick... Happy Shaves.

5 1,151
 11-01-2012, 06:29 PM
  • WmNeumann
  • Williamsburg, Virginia USA
User Info
Hi Ronwell!

You received excellent feedback by your fellow Shavenookers! I concur with everything said about needing a thinner oil.

I'll weigh in (excuse the pun) with my two cents for you:

The viscosity of jojoba is a bit too thick in this application. Even though we refer to it as jojoba Oil, actually, JoJoba is really a liquid wax, so this is why you're seeing a coating on your razor, etc. The use of jojoba is a modern replacement for spermaceti, which is a waxy substance that comes from the head cavity of the sperm whale. Its use was prevalent over 100 years ago in pharmacy applications. Much of my great-grandfather's formulas included it as an ingredient. Now of course, it's no longer available. Jojoba is the perfect ingredient for balms and lotions

AOS Pre-Shave Oil is a good product, it's primarily a castor/olive oil blend, which is viewed by some as being a bit too heavy due to the more prominent castor oil. Castor oil has fantastic lubricity, however, it comes with a price; it's very thick and it's hard to apply a thin coat because of this, so it's vey easy to use too much; beacuse it's difficult to spread evenly over your entire face. Thus, many find that castor oil gunks up their razor. Again, not the best choice in my opinion-but it's very inexpensive to produce, and works good if used in moderation. What everybody suggested is 100% correct; look for a thinner oil. I would suggest that you start with a more suitable oil like grapeseed, meadowfoam, or even olive oil. Choosing just one, Grapeseed will be your best bet IMHO, for what you're looking for. If you blend grapeseed with some other suitable oils like meadowfoam and/or olive, or maybe just a small touch of castor, you'll be very pleased with the results.

Best Wishes

0 96
 11-01-2012, 07:20 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
(11-01-2012, 05:50 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Try "Shave Secret". (Available @ Wal Mart for like $3.99). There is a recent thread on here about it and we have been discussing it. I have been using it for about a week now and am sold on it. This stuff washes away easily and I haven't found any residue on my razors. Also no whiskers hugging the sides of the sink. I would also say moderation is key. It doesn't take very much to achieve the goals ascribed to PSO. Also although I've never tried, it seems EVERYONE think AOS PSO is too thick... Happy Shaves.

Here is the thread : http://shavenook.com/thread-shave-secret-pre-shave-oil

5 1,151
 11-02-2012, 04:37 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Thanks for the AOS Warning as I have a small bottle of it.

I will dilute it if I need to so I can get rid of it.

1 819
 11-03-2012, 11:22 AM
User Info
The first and only pso I tried was AOS. Nice fragrance but too thick. It gummed up my straight no matter how lightly I applied it.

37 2,962
 11-07-2012, 05:45 PM
User Info
I just noticed that there were new posts in this thread. Thanks for all the new info guys.

2 129