12-15-2018, 08:59 PM
User Info
I've decided that I'm going to order a scuttle , I've also narrowed my choice down to 2 , Georgetown or dirtybird

Looking for those who have owned the following , G12 , G20 , I've seen some reports that they don't hold the heat as well as some of the others ,

Without adding boiling water , just good hot sink tap water , plus with a presoak while I shower , will it keep nice and warm for a 3 pass

As for dirtybird , how is it for heat to compare to Georgetown

Not sure why , but I've done lots of researching and everyone has a favorite , seems the one they own

When looking at scuttles , sure is lots of choices , for me it came down to what you get for your money ,

The moss scuttle is nice , price is no better then any other and in my opinion even more so then others , it's just a plain looking scuttle , you would think she would put a nicer glaze on , or even try to copy some of the others with much nicer colours for what she is wanting in price , even with me a Canadian and wanting to surport the small shops or another Canadian , I just can not pay that amount of money for such a plain looking scuttle ,

Seen many that are really cheep looking , for what your paying and getting

This is what brings me down to my final 2 choices , dirtybird or Georgetown , and I've been seeing that at least with. The Georgetown that they keep listening and trying to make better scuttles , the smaller G5 is gone , the G12 holds 12 oz water and now this G20 holds 20 oz water

Livening and coming from northern Canada , its cold and sometimes -40 outside , a nice warm shave is a treat , like the good old days of sitting in a barber chair getting a hot towel on the face and a nice warm lather for a shave

I will wait for opinions befor I decide , and from what I'm also hearing is the seconds are a great deal ,

3 11
 12-16-2018, 03:46 AM
User Info
I owned both G12 and G20, but not Dirtybird. Nice scuttles, no complaints. I am probably in a minority thinking the ridges and bumps at the bottom of the scuttle do nothing for lather. I also am probably in a minority thinking the ridges and bumps at the bottom of the scuttle may harm a badger. I own 2 Yoresh custom scuttles and get 3 hot passes, no boiling water, no microwave. Sometimes I turn on the heat lamp in my bathroom ceiling. Maybe some shavers keep their shaving rooms/homes colder/hotter which may affect scuttle warming.

62 1,459
 12-16-2018, 04:03 AM
User Info
I have owned both and prefer the Georgetown.  Construction and the absolutely beautiful glazing tipped the boat for me.  I sold the Dirty Bird and went with Georgetown Pottery.

22 836
 12-16-2018, 04:44 AM
User Info
I only have experience with the Georgetown, but I have enjoyed it a great deal. I got a second and have never been able to identify the flaw. It’s well constructed and has given me hot enjoyable shaves for quite some time.

4 50
 12-16-2018, 11:45 AM
User Info
(12-16-2018, 03:46 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: I owned both G12 and G20, but not Dirtybird. Nice scuttles, no complaints. I am probably in a minority thinking the ridges and bumps at the bottom of the scuttle do nothing for lather. I also am probably in a minority thinking the ridges and bumps at the bottom of the scuttle may harm a badger. I own 2 Yoresh custom scuttles and get 3 hot passes, no boiling water, no microwave. Sometimes I turn on the heat lamp in my bathroom ceiling. Maybe some shavers keep their shaving rooms/homes colder/hotter which may affect scuttle warming.

Hi jack
Can you please tell your reasons on why you think ithem bumps and ridges could harm a good badger brush ,
Have you had any damage or hairs slip out ,

I'm very interested to hear this as it might change my mind , has anyone else seen or had and issues with bumps or ridges in the scuttles or bowls
My understanding it's. To help build up a Rich thick lather fast

3 11
 12-16-2018, 02:05 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
I have only owned the G20. It is a good Scuttle and I like it for warm lather shaves. It's quite a nice luxury on a winter day. I do believe that bigger is better when it comes to scuttles because of their ability to hold heat. The G20 is large but it is not so large that it is problematic. I am happy with the G20 and think that the smaller versions would have been too small. You want a lot of water to hold the heat. I always use hot water from the tap and never microwave or do anything like that. It works great.

28 781
 12-16-2018, 03:06 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I've owned both, and prefer the Dirtybird, as it seems to hold the heat a little better than the Georgetown. Dr. Moss designed the first scuttle of this style, and the Moss scuttle is plain as it's the way he designed it. I also use a Dirtybird brush scuttle when I face lather and wouldn't shave without it.

38 5,893
 12-17-2018, 03:54 AM
User Info
(12-16-2018, 11:45 AM)Dutchie Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 03:46 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: I owned both G12 and G20, but not Dirtybird. Nice scuttles, no complaints. I am probably in a minority thinking the ridges and bumps at the bottom of the scuttle do nothing for lather. I also am probably in a minority thinking the ridges and bumps at the bottom of the scuttle may harm a badger. I own 2 Yoresh custom scuttles and get 3 hot passes, no boiling water, no microwave. Sometimes I turn on the heat lamp in my bathroom ceiling. Maybe some shavers keep their shaving rooms/homes colder/hotter which may affect scuttle warming.

Hi jack
Can you please tell your reasons on why you think ithem bumps and ridges could harm a good badger brush ,
Have you had any damage or hairs slip out ,

I'm very interested to hear this as it might change my mind , has anyone else seen or had and issues with bumps or ridges in the scuttles or bowls
My understanding it's. To help build up a Rich thick lather fast

I should have added imho, ymmv
I stand by my original "thinking" ridges and bumps may harm a badger. I have no scientific proof. Any hairs slipping out may have been due to normal wear and tear. My custom Yoresh scuttles are smooth per my request and I have not experienced a marked decline in lather creation as compared with G20 or G12. I owned and used the G20 and G12 scuttles for years.

62 1,459
 12-17-2018, 04:11 AM
User Info
I love mine but need a good bowl athering brush with higher loft. I hate hitting my brush on side of bowl. It bothers me.

I’m to the point, however, that face lathering saves tons of time so I may end up selling all my bowls.

If you’re interested, PM me. My scuttle has been used twice.

26 386
 12-17-2018, 04:14 PM
User Info
(12-17-2018, 04:11 AM)SimpleShave17 Wrote: I love mine but need a good bowl athering brush with higher loft. I hate hitting my brush on side of bowl. It bothers me.

I’m to the point, however, that face lathering saves tons of time so I may end up selling all my bowls.

If you’re interested, PM me. My scuttle has been used twice.

I'll be your huckleberry , I sent you a PM , let me see what you want to let go

3 11
 12-18-2018, 06:20 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-15-2018, 08:59 PM)Dutchie Wrote: I've decided that I'm going to order a scuttle , I've also narrowed my choice down to 2 , Georgetown or dirtybird

Looking for those who have owned the following , G12 , G20  , I've seen some reports that they don't hold the heat as well as some of the others ,

I will wait for opinions befor I decide ,  and from what I'm also hearing is the seconds are a great deal ,

My Favorite Author added his two cents within an informative thread that addressed the same subject here:  

Twenty-two months on, I have used the Georgetown G12 for a few short of 700 additional shaves, and, while my 2017 assessments have not changed, they have been refined.  (And, for what its worth, for most of those hundreds of shaves, I have been using an upgraded brush, a Semogue 2-band badger, which is the best shave brush I have ever owned or used.)  

These days, I continue to use only hot tap water to warm up the Georgetown G12, but I warm the scuttle twice before making lather.  Before my morning shower, I fill the reservoir and the bowl itself, and partially fill with hot water the sink in which the scuttle sits, put my brush into the water in the scuttle bowl, and then take my morning shower.  After the shower, and after applying to my beard area the thinnest possible layer of Noxzema Classic Clean Original Deep Cleansing Clean (and not washing it off), I drain the sink and both parts of the scuttle, shake out the brush, and refill the scuttle (and partially refill the sink) with very hot tap water.  This routine ensures that the scuttle and the lather generated in it will remain hot throughout the duration of the shave.  

I am a fellow member of jackgoldman123's possibly minority fraternity of skeptics of the effectiveness of bumps and ridges in helping to build lather inside the bowl.  If the ridges and bumps do have an effect, the effect seems to be minor.  Formerly, when I used my appropriated Kobushiyaki coffee mug to build lather, I do not recall that I was less successful in building the kind of lather that I prefer than I am today, at the end of 2018.  The choice of soap or cream has so much greater an effect on the lather than does the presence or absence of bumps or ridges in the bowl that the latter's effect gets swamped.

1 1,355
 12-18-2018, 05:53 PM
User Info
(12-18-2018, 06:20 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(12-15-2018, 08:59 PM)Dutchie Wrote: I've decided that I'm going to order a scuttle , I've also narrowed my choice down to 2 , Georgetown or dirtybird

Looking for those who have owned the following , G12 , G20  , I've seen some reports that they don't hold the heat as well as some of the others ,

I will wait for opinions befor I decide ,  and from what I'm also hearing is the seconds are a great deal ,

My Favorite Author added his two cents within an informative thread that addressed the same subject here:  

Twenty-two months on, I have used the Georgetown G12 for a few short of 700 additional shaves, and, while my 2017 assessments have not changed, they have been refined.  (And, for what its worth, for most of those hundreds of shaves, I have been using an upgraded brush, a Semogue 2-band badger, which is the best shave brush I have ever owned or used.)  

These days, I continue to use only hot tap water to warm up the Georgetown G12, but I warm the scuttle twice before making lather.  Before my morning shower, I fill the reservoir and the bowl itself, and partially fill with hot water the sink in which the scuttle sits, put my brush into the water in the scuttle bowl, and then take my morning shower.  After the shower, and after applying to my beard area the thinnest possible layer of Noxzema Classic Clean Original Deep Cleansing Clean (and not washing it off), I drain the sink and both parts of the scuttle, shake out the brush, and refill the scuttle (and partially refill the sink) with very hot tap water.  This routine ensures that the scuttle and the lather generated in it will remain hot throughout the duration of the shave.  

I am a fellow member of jackgoldman123's possibly minority fraternity of skeptics of the effectiveness of bumps and ridges in helping to build lather inside the bowl.  If the ridges and bumps do have an effect, the effect seems to be minor.  Formerly, when I used my appropriated Kobushiyaki coffee mug to build lather, I do not recall that I was less successful in building the kind of lather that I prefer than I am today, at the end of 2018.  The choice of soap or cream has so much greater an effect on the lather than does the presence or absence of bumps or ridges in the bowl that the latter's effect gets swamped.
Mel- thanks for the vote of confidence. My thought about the bumps and ridges - I see many shaving bowls with smooth interiors, no bumps.

62 1,459
 12-26-2018, 08:17 PM
User Info
I own the G-20 and I only use it to keep the later and brush warm between passes, I don't use it to whip up lather.

0 13
 12-27-2018, 05:57 AM
User Info
(12-17-2018, 04:11 AM)SimpleShave17 Wrote: I love mine but need a good bowl athering brush with higher loft.  I hate hitting my brush on side of bowl.  It bothers me.

If you’re interested, PM me.  My scuttle has been used twice.

The reason I got rid of my Dirty Bird is because she started making the rim "slant inward".  Supposedly to keep the lather in the scuttle better.  All got out of it was the shave handle hitting the rim.  I prefer the manner Georgetown uses - no inward slanting rim.

22 836
 01-01-2019, 02:45 PM
User Info
My scuttle is ordered and on its way to me , I decided on the G20 from Georgetown ,

Was a hard choice between it and dirty bird

Now with some luck , I'll find a nice captains copper bowl also , so upset at myself as I just missed one on the sale page , anyone have the captain copper bowl they would like to part with
Please let me know

3 11
 01-04-2019, 04:46 AM
User Info
I have the G20. You will love it! I heat mine up in the microwave.

0 82
 01-09-2019, 07:47 PM
User Info
(01-04-2019, 04:46 AM)tubular Wrote: I have the G20. You will love it! I heat mine up in the microwave.

How long do you heat it up for and what power

So far , I have used every time I shave after it arrived , I love it , I use the hottest water from my tap

Is it safe to just add boiling water in it , I'd hate to have it crack

3 11