12-19-2018, 04:59 PM
User Info
I read on another forum that Proraso has purchased Valobra.  Does anyone have any information on this?  It it's accurate, now may be the time to stock up on Valobra soaps.  There is no assurance that Proraso will continue with the same Valobra formula.

54 8,458
 12-19-2018, 05:10 PM
User Info
Here is an article from an Italian publication, which you can use Google Translate to read:

https://www.buongiornoonline.it/2018/12/...di-saponi/

54 8,458
 12-19-2018, 05:14 PM
User Info
It appears that they did. Here is a link to the article on it.

The historic Genoese brand of soaps Valobra officially enters the brand portfolio of Ludovico Martelli Srl , the Florentine company that owns the major brands Proraso, Marvis and Kaloderma .

Valobra, founded in 1903, is famous for its very fine toilet soaps made with the artisanal method in "open-air boiler" and for the unmistakable design of its packaging that still retain the style and charm of the past. The brand, which has remained the property of the family for more than a century, has passed into the hands of another historic Italian family business, Ludovico Martelli Srl, which has also been owned by the same family for four generations.

"We are sincerely honored to collect the baton of what we consider Italian excellence", explains Stefania Martelli, head of marketing for the family business . "With over a century of history, Valobra soaps have been part of the daily life of Italians. It is our wish that this heritage should not be dispersed but that it can be preserved and valued as it deserves ".

The acquisition of a historic brand such as Valobra by Ludovico Martelli is part of the company's DNA. This was the case for brands such as Marvis and Kaloderma and more recently for Sapone del Mugello , another brand that entered the company's portfolio just over a year ago.

"Valobra fully shares the same values of the other brands of our company as Proraso and Marvis: brand historicity, maximum product quality, the relationship of trust with our customer". The managing director Giovanni Galeotti explains. "And it is exactly in the wake of these values that we have already started to work on a relaunching of the brand that also looks abroad".

10 350
 12-19-2018, 05:16 PM
User Info
(12-19-2018, 05:10 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Here is an article from an Italian publication, which you can use Google Translate to read:

https://www.buongiornoonline.it/2018/12/...di-saponi/

You beat me to it!

10 350
 12-19-2018, 05:17 PM
User Info
Watson15, thanks for posting the link to the English translation.

54 8,458
 12-19-2018, 05:22 PM
User Info
(12-19-2018, 05:17 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Watson15, thanks for posting the link to the English translation.

No problem! Based on the language used in the announcement, I am optimistic they won't mess it up. Maybe we'll even see tallow AoS again (fingers crossed).

10 350
 12-19-2018, 05:22 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Wow! Valobra also makes the Czech and Speake Shave soaps. I have a bad feeling.

48 20,226
 12-19-2018, 05:29 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Me too Phil, however, if they want the prestige of Czech and Speake, they have to deliver. Remember that this is a company that makes $1,200 faucets and $4,000 towel warmers ...

7 631
 12-19-2018, 05:32 PM
User Info
(12-19-2018, 05:22 PM)Watson15 Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 05:17 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Watson15, thanks for posting the link to the English translation.

No problem! Based on the language used in the announcement, I am optimistic they won't mess it up. Maybe we'll even see tallow AoS again (fingers crossed).

Despite what Proraso may say now, there is no way to know whether they'll change the Valobra and C&S formulas.  Nobody expected P&G to drop the tallow soaps Valobra  made for AoS, yet that is precisely what happened.

54 8,458
 12-20-2018, 10:57 AM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
I have yet to see an acquisition like this NOT have an impact on formula and materials used within a relatively short period of time. Can someone name one that allowed the product to remain completely untouched? I’m having a difficult time thinking of one.

105 1,703
 12-20-2018, 12:42 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(12-19-2018, 05:29 PM)Steve56 Wrote: Me too Phil, however, if they want the prestige of Czech and Speake, they have to deliver. Remember that this is a company that makes $1,200 faucets and $4,000 towel warmers ...

That actually is part of the worry. Since shaving makes up such a small part of their company, they could simply decide to no longer sell a shaving soap at all. V

48 20,226
 12-20-2018, 12:46 PM
User Info
(12-20-2018, 10:57 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: I have yet to see an acquisition like this NOT have an impact on formula and materials used within a relatively short period of time.  Can someone name one that allowed the product to remain completely untouched?  I’m having a difficult time thinking of one.

Of course it will.  There's something either in the market or the company that made the sellers sell and something in the way the buyers run their company that allowed them to buy.  Why would any company that bought another one let it run the same way that made it need buyers?

0 417
 12-20-2018, 12:47 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Good point.

Maybe it’s time for a run on existing stocks of Valobra.

F E E D I N G F R E N Z Y ! ! !

10 3,208
 12-20-2018, 02:06 PM
User Info
(12-20-2018, 12:46 PM)bkatbamna Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 10:57 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: I have yet to see an acquisition like this NOT have an impact on formula and materials used within a relatively short period of time.  Can someone name one that allowed the product to remain completely untouched?  I’m having a difficult time thinking of one.

Of course it will.  There's something either in the market or the company that made the sellers sell and something in the way the buyers run their company that allowed them to buy.  Why would any company that bought another one let it run the same way that made it need buyers?

Companies buy competitors sometimes in order to remove the competition. You could see  V continue......or disappear completely or be moved to a specific/limited market. Could become a 'high-end" product.

1 909
 12-20-2018, 06:10 PM
User Info

I don't know... Simpson?  I say that as a rube, I actually don't know.

Would Proraso gain by eliminating Valobra?  I suppose they could alter the formula ie Haslingers.  But if they mess it up it'll get around real quick, eh?

1 171
 12-20-2018, 09:12 PM
User Info
The majority of Valobra's top line revenue is bath soap (not shave soap). Given the heritage nature of the brand and the fact that it is Italian it makes sense to help Martelli grow new top line revenue in a new category (bath soap). I doubt if the acquisition will change much of how Valobra produces their soap (shaving included) unless Martelli's sales channels create more demand than Valobra can supply (unlikely).

0 33
 12-20-2018, 10:45 PM
  • Nero
User Info
See... I knew some day I'd be justified Smile

82 3,479
 12-22-2018, 11:54 PM
User Info
(12-20-2018, 09:12 PM)fisherc Wrote: The majority of Valobra's top line revenue is bath soap (not shave soap). Given the heritage nature of the brand and the fact that it is Italian it makes sense to help Martelli grow new top line revenue in a new category (bath soap). I doubt if the acquisition will change much of how Valobra produces their soap (shaving included) unless Martelli's sales channels create more demand than Valobra can supply (unlikely).

Counter-argument: Martelli will be trying to recoup the costs of buying the company, and if the balance sheets show low yields on the shave soap, it's an "easy" place to cut corners or eliminate the line completely. Buying a company often results in redundancies, and to the victors go the spoils (i.e. Valobra staff might be at risk, at least in managerial or finance positions).

6 1,017
 12-23-2018, 12:32 AM
User Info
Good thing we have so many other great alternatives out there if they decide to change the Valobra formula for the worse......

Jabonman
CRSW
B&M
Mike’s
Catie’s
MDC
SDM
Sapo Varesino
Nuavia
Klar Seifen
Tabula Rasa
LPL
Castle Forbes
Tabac
Speick
Esbjerg
Meißner Tremonia

And even more I forgot to mention....

25 6,460
 12-23-2018, 07:39 AM
User Info
When Oldsmobile and Pontiac went out of business this marked a time in history for me. Chevy and Cadillac are stopping some production lines soon. Change happens. The above post from CHSiefert gives me hope.

60 1,383