12-22-2018, 04:22 PM
User Info
I just used my new Yaqi Silvertip badger brush. I have not used a badger brush in quite awhile. For the past several years I have mostly used synthetic brushes with a boar once in awhile. I did try an expensive Thater 2-band badger a couple of years ago.

While I was washing and soaking the Yaqi brush to get ready to use it I notice how nice it felt. I hadn't even used it yet and I was already thinking I may get another just for back up.
I mostly face-lather using a shave stick only. I never face-lather just off of a puck. I now have to say that nothing works better than a synthetic when it comes to using a shave stick, IMO. I chose to use one of my best sticks, Mystic Water, and I did not get half the lather I get with a synthetic brush.
It did feel nice and I do like the way the bristles splayed better than a synthetic. So I may try my next shave to face-lather using a puck. I haven't tried that in awhile. But when it comes to shave sticks I will stay with a synthetic. It beats all the others hands down.

5 1,914
 12-22-2018, 04:52 PM
User Info
I agree with all you said. I'm a big synthetic fan as well. they are just great all around performers and very reasonably priced. Low maintenance and very durable! But sometimes I do like using the two band badger and the boar. I enjoy them as well. But I really think the synthetics really came a long way in the performance dept. and are todays LATHER KINGS!! IMHO. 

Happy Shaving!
49erShaver

0 198
 12-22-2018, 05:05 PM
User Info
(12-22-2018, 04:52 PM)49erShaver Wrote: I agree with all you said. I'm a big synthetic fan as well. they are just great all around performers and very reasonably priced. Low maintenance and very durable! But sometimes I do like using the two band badger and the boar. I enjoy them as well. But I really think the synthetics really came a long way in the performance dept. and are todays LATHER KINGS!! IMHO. 

Happy Shaving!
49erShaver

I can't even get a boar or a badger to make decent lather with a shave stick.

5 1,914
 12-22-2018, 05:18 PM
User Info
I don’t have any problems with shave sticks and badger brushes. What you are likely experiencing is not using enough soap (you’ll need to use more with natural hair brushes).

35 1,861
 12-22-2018, 05:49 PM
User Info
(12-22-2018, 05:18 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I don’t have any problems with shave sticks and badger brushes. What you are likely experiencing is not using enough soap (you’ll need to use more with natural hair brushes).

I tried loading heavy but I still get no second pass. I could try loading longer but I think I did it quite awhile.

5 1,914
 12-22-2018, 05:54 PM
User Info
I have found that synthetic brushes require less soap and are less time create lather.  However, if I use enough soap and take the required amount of time, I can create comparable lather with either a synthetic or badger.

59 9,323
 12-23-2018, 06:04 AM
User Info
I thought I loaded plenty of soap on my face but it seems that's the main advise I'm getting, load more soap. Some guys say the badger brushes do get better after a few uses.

5 1,914
 12-23-2018, 06:17 AM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
Start with squeezing all the water out of the brush you possibly can and add it very slow with a badger and that particular soap. It is one of my favorites but takes longer using natural hair and is sensitive to adding water too fast. Natural hair retains a lot more water so my guess is too much water too fast which more product could solve or being very methodical adding just a few drops at a time and fully working it in could also solve. Merkurman has a killer video for mystic waters using a very dense brush.

98 515
 12-25-2018, 09:54 PM
User Info
I have to update this thread. I used my Yaqi silvertip brush again with a La Toja stick and it was just great. I got a nice thick lather and enough for at least 3 passes. This brush has changed my opinion of badger brushes. I may even pick up another. The prices at West Coast Shaving are really good on the Yaqi and other silvertip badger brushes.

Here is a picture of the one I got.

[Image: oTqkRyw.jpg]

5 1,914
 12-26-2018, 12:09 AM
User Info
(12-25-2018, 09:54 PM)shave/brush Wrote: I have to update this thread. I used my Yaqi silvertip brush again with a La Toja stick and it was just great. I got a nice thick lather and enough for at least 3 passes. This brush has changed my opinion of badger brushes. I may even pick up another. The prices at West Coast Shaving are really good on the Yaqi and other silvertip badger brushes.

Here is a picture of the one I got.

[Image: oTqkRyw.jpg]

Happy to see your recent post. I think in general, badger brushes require a bit of use/cleaning to really dial in. There tends to be a bit of gunk and badger funk that impedes a bit of the luxury experience. I typically give a new badger brush about 25 to 50 uses before a final judgement which is probably excessive to some but an untreated or unbleached knot takes a bit of thorough use to develop the tips into being broken in. I may have tried a private label brand that was using Yaqi but none the less, if you like your silvertip, I would suggest getting one of their HMW knots. I may try one of the silvertip brushes like you mention above to see how it fares since they are affordable. Bloom shot looks beautiful. Enjoy your new brush with continued use  Badger  Wink

84 1,696
 12-26-2018, 06:22 AM
User Info
I've only lathered it 4 times and it really seems all broken in.  I love it.

5 1,914
 12-27-2018, 03:05 PM
User Info
I guess you can't always go by the advertised knot size.
My new Yaqi brush is suppose to have a 24mm knot x 55mm loft. I just measured it and I got a 26mm knot x 53mm loft. Still good but let the buyer beware.

5 1,914