12-23-2018, 06:32 PM
User Info
Ron - You're right, they do hold water. Perhaps I should have said that they don't hold onto water, or that they release it more readily than badger and boar. This can make the lather runny while I'm building it. I just find it easier to add the water I need than to shake off just the right amount. And I do prefer to add it to the tips and let the lather fill the knot from there.

37 1,750
 12-23-2018, 06:35 PM
User Info
(12-23-2018, 06:32 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Ron - You're right, they do hold water. Perhaps I should have said that they don't hold onto water, or that they release it more readily than badger and boar. This can make the lather runny while I'm building it. I just find it easier to add the water I need than to shake off just the right amount. And I do prefer to add it to the tips and let the lather fill the knot from there.

I sometimes add it to the tips also. I either do that or let it drip into the knot.

5 1,841
 12-23-2018, 06:37 PM
User Info
(12-23-2018, 06:32 PM)shave/brush Wrote: I am going to try my badger again on Monday and see what happens. I will load extra soap. I only used it twice but it seems softer now also.

Not all badger brushes are made equally, of course. Unfortunately, unlike synthetics you have to pay a premium for the better badger brushes. Synthetics are currently the best blend of performance and price that there is. 

Also, don't be surprised if the natural hair brushes never meet your preferences or match your performance expectations. These are personal choices and some things just don't work for some guys.

37 1,750
 12-23-2018, 08:42 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I used my Asylum syn with Speick stick and it worked totally A-OK. I soaked the brush in hot water and applied the soap to my beard and it made a very nice lather for nearly 3 passes.

Once I returned from my travels I was pleased to try my Semogue ShaveDen premium boar using the same method and once again, perfect lather. 

What's this mean to me? The Asylum was softer and dried faster and the Boar was a nasty pig, I love all the much more. Maybe because it stays close to my family?

0 368
 12-24-2018, 04:51 AM
User Info
(12-23-2018, 08:42 PM)Garb Wrote: I used my Asylum syn with Speick stick and it worked totally A-OK. I soaked the brush in hot water and applied the soap to my beard and it made a very nice lather for nearly 3 passes.

Once I returned from my travels I was pleased to try my Semogue ShaveDen premium boar using the same method and once again, perfect lather. 

What's this mean to me? The Asylum was softer and dried faster and the Boar was a nasty pig, I love all the much more. Maybe because it stays close to my family?

So how did the boar compare to the synth brush in making lather?

5 1,841
 12-24-2018, 09:38 AM
User Info
Well just ordered my first shave stick from Mikes Natural, and yes you read that right, my first shave stick. Some of us are a little slower than others. Now I get to join in this fun experiment. I will start with a Muhle STF, and work from there. Something new for the new year....Merry Christmas all

0 15
 12-24-2018, 10:19 AM
User Info
(12-24-2018, 09:38 AM)Uncas Wrote: Well just ordered my first shave stick from Mikes Natural, and yes you read that right, my first shave stick. Some of us are a little slower than others. Now I get to join in this fun experiment. I will start with a Muhle STF, and work from there. Something new for the new year....Merry Christmas all

The Muhle STF is a fine brush. I own a 25mm and 23mm knot in that. I think you will enjoy using the stick. Load a lot on your face and start with a fairly wet brush.
I enjoy using a stick more than any other method. If you don't get the hang of it the first try don't give up.

5 1,841
 12-24-2018, 10:31 AM
User Info
Thank you my friend, nice to see you here as well. I also have the 23mm, and the 25mm is on the way from Connaught. I may go to every other day to get a heavier beard growth while I'm playing with the stick and give the brush something more to work with, we'll see.

0 15
 12-24-2018, 12:39 PM
User Info
(12-24-2018, 09:38 AM)Uncas Wrote: Well just ordered my first shave stick from Mikes Natural, and yes you read that right, my first shave stick. Some of us are a little slower than others. Now I get to join in this fun experiment. I will start with a Muhle STF, and work from there. Something new for the new year....Merry Christmas all

Been at this a while and I only have one shave stick and it's from Mystic Waters. I use it for business travel along with my Asylum synthetic brush. Works a treat! When that one runs out I'll pick up a Mikes stick.

1 202
 12-24-2018, 12:48 PM
User Info
La Toja is my favorite stick followed closely by Mystic Water sticks. Hard to beat.

5 1,841