12-24-2018, 08:00 AM
User Info
 12-24-2018, 10:25 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very interesting.  Wonder how many different soaps are made with goats milk.

185 25,680
 12-24-2018, 11:36 AM
User Info
(12-24-2018, 10:25 AM)Johnny Wrote: Very interesting.  Wonder how many different soaps are made with goats milk.

Quite a few presently. I do know we were one of the very first if not first artisan to introduce goats milk in a shaving soap back in 2014.

4 1,144
 12-26-2018, 04:59 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-24-2018, 10:25 AM)Johnny Wrote: Very interesting.  Wonder how many different soaps are made with goats milk.

I have been using goat’s milk bath/facial soaps for years, but the first specifically shaving soap containing goat’s milk that I used was around Thanksgiving 2014, and やっぱり it was CRSW Vètiver (sic) Terreux.  (I think that was a label typo:  the French word is Vétiver.)  At the time, it was the best shave soap I ever had tried, and I immediately followed up with a second order to give to our then 41-year-old son as a stocking-stuffer Christmas present. (That started a yearly tradition of stocking-stuffer soap pucks, and he subsequently found Stirling Port-au-Prince underside of a sheep liver (mutton) tallow shaving soap, Mystic Water THE Brown Windsor tallow shaving soap, Wholly Kaw Fougère Bouquet tallow donkey milk shaving soap, and (this year) Grooming Dept After the Fire tallow and duck fat shaving soap stuffed in his stocking.)   The 2014 CRSW goat milk is presently on its final approach to end-of-service, and has its tray table and seat back in full upright and locked position:

[Image: mTSXfYT.jpg]

Unfortunately for me, CRSW very shortly thereafter stopped making goat’s milk shaving soaps, and the “Vètiver Terreux” shaving soap was the last CRSW shaving soap I ever purchased.  Fortunately for me, celestino (who else?) PM’ed me a very enthusiastic recommendation to try Mystic Water; I did try Mystic Water shaving soap, and never turned back.  And while I was at it, we also tried Mystic Water Goat Milk facial/bath soap, which just possibly is the best facial/bath soap ever made, and — surprise! — the Goat milk Soap contain ... goat milk.

Oh, I have flirted with other milk-enhanced shaving soaps:  Haslinger Sheep’s Milk (n the now-discontinued tallow formula) is a very good one; La Savonerrie Bourbonnaise Cedar/Lemongrass donkey milk shaving soap proved itself as the slickest shaving soap on the planet; and, because I always have wondered what it would be like to shave with a hunk of Italian bufala mozzarella, I just had to try Wholly Kaw Pasha’s Pride with both donkey milk and Italian water buffalo milk.  

There is a whole universe of milk shaving soaps to try, and some of them are quite good.  Lucky us.

1 1,378
 12-26-2018, 05:38 PM
User Info
CRSW Glide Winter soap has goat's milk and it is making me forget about every other soap. Lather, glide and protection are without equal. My SSAD is in repose.

62 1,522
 12-26-2018, 05:57 PM
User Info
shave soap is a rinse of product.  wouldn't the benefits of goats milk be best used in an aftershave?

0 433
 12-26-2018, 06:29 PM
User Info
(12-26-2018, 05:57 PM)asiliski Wrote: shave soap is a rinse of product.  wouldn't the benefits of goats milk be best used in an aftershave?

That's an interesting question Andrew.   Goat's milk is also supposed to be beneficial in bath soaps, and that's also a rise off product.  I'm interested in this discussion.

60 9,444
 12-26-2018, 06:49 PM
User Info
(12-26-2018, 05:57 PM)asiliski Wrote: shave soap is a rinse of product.  wouldn't the benefits of goats milk be best used in an aftershave?

Goats milk absorbs readily into the skin. Also consider that while shaving, the lather containing goats milk is in contact with the skin for a good period of time. Since most shavers are employing the multiple pass technique and reapplying the lather, the beneficial vitamins, minerals and anti inflammatory properties of goats milk are made even more available.

4 1,144
 12-26-2018, 06:55 PM
User Info
Thank you contributing to the discussion Larry.

60 9,444
 12-26-2018, 07:05 PM
User Info
(12-26-2018, 06:55 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Thank you contributing to the discussion Larry.

My pleasure Ricardo!

I’d also like to add that goats milk is a non greasy incredibley effective moisturizer. As an added bonus, goats milks unique fatty acid profile imparts a luxurious creaminess to a shaving lather not achievable by using traditional butter, fats and oils.

4 1,144
 12-26-2018, 11:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It appears that all of the CRSW Glide soaps have goats milk in them.

185 25,680
 12-27-2018, 12:38 AM
User Info
(12-26-2018, 11:51 PM)Johnny Wrote: It appears that all of the CRSW Glide soaps have goats milk in them.

And in the select line as well. Goat milk for everyone!

35 1,886
 12-27-2018, 12:52 AM
User Info
Very interesting post, Larry.

I only own 8-10 Select and Oliva CRSW shaving soaps and they do not contain goat milk to the best of my recollection. Yet they still are among the very best shaving soaps among my several 100’s soaps in my collection.

I do enjoy the Savonniere du Moulin shaving soap, which I know contains goat milk. It’s a great little hard soap.

Are there goat milk in both your Glide and Select series in the current formulation, Larry ?

Rest assured, that as soon as I run out of my CRSW stash, I’m buying a new dozen of CRSW shaving soaps.

25 6,637
 12-27-2018, 10:09 AM
User Info
(12-27-2018, 12:52 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Are there goat milk in both your Glide and Select series in the current formulation, Larry ?

Claus,

Yes, both SELECT and GLIDE contain goats milk.

We use goats milk in place of water in the SELECT base and aloe vera in place of the water in our GLIDE (with goats milk added).

None of our shaving soaps contain any water other than what is naturally occurring in the goats milk and aloe vera.

4 1,144
 12-27-2018, 04:54 PM
User Info
(12-26-2018, 06:49 PM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote:

Goats milk absorbs readily into the skin. Also consider that while shaving, the lather containing goats milk is in contact with the skin for a good period of time. Since most shavers are employing the multiple pass technique and reapplying the lather, the beneficial vitamins, minerals and anti inflammatory properties of goats milk are made even more available.

This is the exact reason I got away from canned goo. We absorb everything we breathe, everything that touches our skin. I vote for goat's milk, not jet fuel.

62 1,522