09-12-2012, 03:01 PM
User Info
but I cannot get a decent lather.....plus the lather that I make literally dissipates from my brush and scuttle in between my first pass....I mean gone...is anyone else having issues with MW?

0 25
 09-12-2012, 03:08 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Did you ever lather any other scent or is this a general MW problem?

88 4,233
 09-12-2012, 03:16 PM
User Info
I have the Lime and Coconut Lime still rapped in plastic....I'm debating whether to return them or try another scent.

(09-12-2012, 03:08 PM)beartrap Wrote: Did you ever lather any other scent or is this a general MW problem?

0 25
 09-12-2012, 08:39 PM
User Info
You may want to read this thread:
http://shavenook.com/thread-challenges-w...oap+issues
You may want to watch these videos:
http://www.mystic4men.com/

You may be having issues with the water being to hot in your scuttle. Have you ever considered face-lathering. It is superb for this. Try using just warm water in your scuttle.
Good luck to you. Don't give up on the soap as it is really amazing.

75 20,883
 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM
User Info
I'm going to take the puck out of its container and put it in my scuttle and try to lather that way.....I have tried the face lathering method....though it works for the initial lather, but on a second lather the cream has already disapated. My last attempt.

(09-12-2012, 08:39 PM)celestino Wrote: You may want to read this thread:
http://shavenook.com/thread-challenges-w...oap+issues
You may want to watch these videos:
http://www.mystic4men.com/

You may be having issues with the water being to hot in your scuttle. Have you ever considered face-lathering. It is superb for this. Try using just warm water in your scuttle.
Good luck to you. Don't give up on the soap as it is really amazing.

0 25
 09-13-2012, 01:00 PM
User Info
for me, the 1st go around at least, my scuttle was the issue.

it does NOT like hot water and tends to break down in the scuttle when bowl lathered.

now i face lather it exclusively and have no issues.

i made this little bowl lathering tutorial, which may or may not help you.

here is how I bowl lather MW. I try to Face Lather it, as it's less finicky this way, but anyway. Here is my 1st attempt at a pictoral step-by-step.

Soak Brush in hot water:
[Image: IMG_6404.jpg]

Drain water and let brush drip dry, then give a few "shakes":
[Image: IMG_6406.jpg] [Image: IMG_6407.jpg]

Lather on puck:
[Image: IMG_6408.jpg] [Image: IMG_6409.jpg]

It will start to thicken:
[Image: IMG_6410.jpg]

Start to lather in bowl:
[Image: IMG_6411.jpg] [Image: IMG_6412.jpg]

When it looks like this, you are done!
[Image: IMG_6414.jpg] [Image: IMG_6415.jpg]

8 2,718
 09-13-2012, 07:29 PM
User Info
Thanks Bruce....I'll try your method tomorrow....appreciate your time in putting that tutorial together....

(09-13-2012, 01:00 PM)Bruce Wrote: for me, the 1st go around at least, my scuttle was the issue.

it does NOT like hot water and tends to break down in the scuttle when bowl lathered.

now i face lather it exclusively and have no issues.

i made this little bowl lathering tutorial, which may or may not help you.

here is how I bowl lather MW. I try to Face Lather it, as it's less finicky this way, but anyway. Here is my 1st attempt at a pictoral step-by-step.

Soak Brush in hot water:
[Image: IMG_6404.jpg]

Drain water and let brush drip dry, then give a few "shakes":
[Image: IMG_6406.jpg] [Image: IMG_6407.jpg]

Lather on puck:
[Image: IMG_6408.jpg] [Image: IMG_6409.jpg]

It will start to thicken:
[Image: IMG_6410.jpg]

Start to lather in bowl:
[Image: IMG_6411.jpg] [Image: IMG_6412.jpg]

When it looks like this, you are done!
[Image: IMG_6414.jpg] [Image: IMG_6415.jpg]

0 25
 09-13-2012, 08:43 PM
User Info
When I demo the soap at the market, I do it exactly as Bruce has shown in his tutorial. 30 to 40 seconds on the puck with a soaked (but not dripping wet) brush, and then add a small amount of water only as needed as you whip it in the bowl. Once you "get it", you'll wonder how you ever had trouble. Try loading more soap on your brush to start with and I'm sure you'll get the lather you're looking for.

0 225
 09-14-2012, 10:47 AM
User Info
Well today I soaked the puck in the tub with warm water.....this is the result after a three pass shave....so the key was, for me, soaking the puck....I should have taken a picture before I started lathering....but as you can see there was enough left for at least two more passes. I guess patience and trial and error win. But I did have to work hard whipping the mix....much more than any other cream or soap....

I used no water in the bottom chamber of the scuttle and used only the water that dripped out of the tub while loading my brush.

Attached Files Image(s)

0 25
 09-14-2012, 03:24 PM
User Info
Congratulations! I'm sure that after the next time or two you'll need much less "work" to get your lather. Warm water on top of the puck is good, load on the puck until you get that nice thick pre-lather going, and you'll have your bowl full in a minute or two.

0 225
 09-14-2012, 03:38 PM
User Info
(09-14-2012, 03:24 PM)eyebright Wrote: Congratulations! I'm sure that after the next time or two you'll need much less "work" to get your lather. Warm water on top of the puck is good, load on the puck until you get that nice thick pre-lather going, and you'll have your bowl full in a minute or two.

i put a few drops on my puck sometimes, but not always.

this soap really shines for me when FACE lathered, but bowl lathering work also.

tip - after your last pass, apply any left over lather to your face while you clean up. rinse and do your normal post shave routine. extra scent, extra moisturising.

8 2,718
 09-14-2012, 07:28 PM
User Info
i have to agree with Bruce that Mystic Water and the other great artisan soaps work extremely well when face-lathering, but i guess i am biased towards that method. Continued success with an amazing soap.

75 20,883
 09-15-2012, 08:04 AM
User Info
I will try face lathering tomorrow....wanted to finish up my AOS lemon this morning.....I have a fresh lemon on deck....now I'll have a tub to put my Mike's Rose sample.....

0 25
 09-15-2012, 11:46 AM
User Info
I've only used MW samples and had no trouble building a lather with them when using denser brushes or boars. Haven't tried anything too soft.

I did just order a tub of The Green Fairy, so we'll see how that goes. I'll run it through it's paces with a few different brushes.

4 156