12-28-2018, 10:02 AM
User Info
Hello All,

What is your favorite synthetic brush for bowl lathering? Looking for a long handle, can I see some pictures of what your using?

Kevin

9 153
 12-28-2018, 08:25 PM
User Info
I'm a fan of Razorock's 400.  The Rubberset 400 copy.  I have the one with the butterscotch handle and the noir Plissoft knot.  At $15 you really can't go wrong.  I also like the look of the silver handled version.  At $20 another bargain and was going to buy one when I was able to get my hands on a Alpha T-400.  I use the butterscotch 400 for creams and in fact used it this morning with Musgo Real Classic. 

[Image: DSC_1580_large.JPG?v=1537153652]

[Image: DSC_1759_large.JPG?v=1499828815]

1 198
 12-29-2018, 06:51 AM
User Info
Nice! That looks like exactly what I wanted, I ordered the butterscotch one. Many thanks!

9 153
 12-29-2018, 07:07 AM
User Info
Glad to be of assistance.   Cheers

1 198
 12-29-2018, 07:10 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I think this brush is perfect for what you're looking for. I've just started using syn brushes and other than the boar scritch which I enjoy the knots have been super

0 390
 02-17-2019, 11:20 AM
User Info
Hi, noob here.  I have not cared for any of the three badger brushes I've tried, including silvertip.  Way to soft and large for me and splay out like mops, which when you wear glasses doesn't give you much room to maneuver.  I have a Van DerHagen boar brush which isn't bad, I like the stiffness but is a little harsh and again, a large head.  Believe it or not my favorite is a synthetic from The Body Shop that my 2nd ex wife gave me years ago.  However the wood is starting to rot.  Can't replace it since they don't make the same version any more.  Can anybody give me an idea of the mm diameter of this brush head and handle at their widest points?  'Preciate it.

Oh, and have a Rockwell synth on order.  Anybody have any experience/thoughts on those?
Thanks!
M-

0 7
 02-17-2019, 12:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-17-2019, 11:20 AM)Lil Shaver Wrote: Hi, noob here.  I have not cared for any of the three badger brushes I've tried, including silvertip.  Way to soft and large for me and splay out like mops, which when you wear glasses doesn't give you much room to maneuver.  I have a Van DerHagen boar brush which isn't bad, I like the stiffness but is a little harsh and again, a large head.  Believe it or not my favorite is a synthetic from The Body Shop that my 2nd ex wife gave me years ago.  However the wood is starting to rot.  Can't replace it since they don't make the same version any more.  Can anybody give me an idea of the mm diameter of this brush head and handle at their widest points?  'Preciate it.

Oh, and have a Rockwell synth on order.  Anybody have any experience/thoughts on those?
Thanks!
M-

Can’t answer your specific questions, but I would suggest you try a 2 band badger brush down the road.

Can you see well enough to shave without your glasses? I’ve been shaving sans specs my whole life and it’s never been an issue. Check this thread; http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...ht=Glasses

10 3,314
 02-17-2019, 04:44 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-17-2019, 12:06 PM)chazt Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 11:20 AM)LIL SHAVER Wrote: Hi, noob here.  I have not cared for any of the three badger brushes I've tried, including silvertip.  Way to soft and large for me and splay out like mops, which when you wear glasses doesn't give you much room to maneuver. 

Can’t answer your specific questions, but I would suggest you try a 2 band badger brush down the road.

+1

A year ago, I had come to the conclusion that perhaps I could do better than I had been doing for four years with a 23mm Mühle Silvertip Fibre v2 brush — which I liked a lot; I wanted to try a brush with a bit more backbone.  I purchased a Semogue Owners Club Super Badger; and I have found myself reaching for the Semogue almost every day from the day it arrived.  

“Oh I kept the first for another day, Yet knowing how way leads on to way . . .”

1 1,335
 02-19-2019, 06:21 PM
User Info
(02-17-2019, 12:06 PM)chazt Wrote: [quote pid='906730' dateline='1550431236']
Hi, noob here.  I have not cared for any of the three badger brushes I've tried, including silvertip.  Way to soft and large for me and splay out like mops, which when you wear glasses doesn't give you much room to maneuver.  I have a Van DerHagen boar brush which isn't bad, I like the stiffness but is a little harsh and again, a large head.  Believe it or not my favorite is a synthetic from The Body Shop that my 2nd ex wife gave me years ago.  However the wood is starting to rot.  Can't replace it since they don't make the same version any more.  Can anybody give me an idea of the mm diameter of this brush head and handle at their widest points?  'Preciate it.

Thanks!
M-

Can you see well enough to shave without your glasses? I’ve been shaving sans specs my whole life and it’s never been an issue. Check this thread; http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...ht=Glasses
[/quote]
Thanks for the thread link, that was some fun reading.  No, I definitely need the specs.  Have been researching the 2 band brushes.  Shavemac has something they refer to as a "D01" which from their chart sounds like what I'm looking for but `$150 is out of my range.  Anyone know of anything comparable?

0 7
 02-19-2019, 06:27 PM
User Info
(02-17-2019, 04:44 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 12:06 PM)chazt Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 11:20 AM)LIL SHAVER Wrote: Hi, noob here.  I have not cared for any of the three badger brushes I've tried, including silvertip.  Way to soft and large for me and splay out like mops, which when you wear glasses doesn't give you much room to maneuver. 

+1

A year ago, I had come to the conclusion that perhaps I could do better than I had been doing for four years with a 23mm Mühle Silvertip Fibre v2 brush — which I liked a lot; I wanted to try a brush with a bit more backbone.  I purchased a Semogue Owners Club Super Badger; and I have found myself reaching for the Semogue almost every day from the day it arrived.  

“Oh I kept the first for another day, Yet knowing how way leads on to way . . .”

That looks nice.  Looks like they're out of stock though.  Still a little on the pricey side for me to take a chance on but that's what I'm here for, get some feedback before wasting money buying blindly.  Thanks!

0 7
 02-20-2019, 05:05 AM
User Info
I know that it is not a brush that is mentioned frequently, but of all the synthetic brush I have tried, and I have tried quite a few, the one that is my favorite by a long shot is the "synthetic silvertip" from razorock. I know that it is a "silvertip", but it is the brush that i've tried that have the more backbone of any I have, with a very soft tip.  

The best brush would be that "synthetic silvertip" knot with an aluminum razorock 400 handle. In fact, i'm about to try to switch these knot and hanlde to custom made myself one of these brush!

0 67
 02-20-2019, 04:40 PM
User Info
Well that's two votes for RazoRock and MntnMan62 is right, can't go wrong for the price so went with this one for $17.99, synthetic "silvertip".  I like the clear handle.  Have also had some recommendations to try a two-band badger so I'm looking at those as well.

[Image: YB4XSC3.jpg]

0 7
 02-20-2019, 08:19 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-19-2019, 06:27 PM)LIL SHAVER Wrote: That looks nice.  Looks like they're out of stock though.  Still a little on the pricey side for me to take a chance on but that's what I'm here for, get some feedback before wasting money buying blindly.  Thanks!

The Semogue SOC badger brush with the sexy cherry wood handle is sold by other retailers.  My earlier post included a link to a site sponsor because I believe in supporting small specialty merchants, especially when they are sponsors of this site.  

The mega-retailer that is named after either:  a mythical warlike race of women or, alternatively, after the major South American river system, has the identical item in stock.  The ASIN (A* Stock Identification Number) is B00FEND640; you can search that site by entering the ASIN in the search field.

1 1,335