12-30-2018, 11:08 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

These days I don't travel as much as I did in the past. On January 4, however, I have a date at my VA hospital for knee replacement. On August 3, I had the right knee replaced. This time it is in the left knee. I will spend three days on the recovery floor after surgery, and in all likelihood a week to 10 days on the rehabilitation floor. That's what happened during the first operation.

It's not as if I'm soaring with pleasure in the South of France, but hey, we do the best we can.

I'm not sure if I'll feel like shaving the first three days of recovery; on the rehab floor I'm sure I'll take every chance I can for a good shave. Photographed is my usual set up for travel. Each trip has specific requirements. This one is designed for my hospital stay.

My wet pack, in luscious leather, is a replica of what British officers were known to have used in the 1920s or so. I love this style of wash kit; it holds everything I need. The top pocket holds the personal bathroom stuff. The shave brush is the Simpson Duke 3 synthetic and the razor the RazoRock Game Changer.

The pocket below it holds blades, a little knife with scissors, finger nail clippers and finger nail file. The two main pockets on the bottom hold the pre-shave (Castle Forbes), shaving cream (OneBlade lavender) and styptic pencil, on the right, and witch hazel, aftershave balm (OneBlade lavender) and British Sterling aftershave splash, on the right.

So gentlemen, what is your general travel set up? 

[Image: lXtidjh.jpg][Image: GKXo4O8.jpg][Image: GsqD0yW.jpg][Image: sBADVfq.jpg]

200 4,204
 12-30-2018, 01:18 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
That's a magnificent wet pack! Good luck with the knee--I'm sure you'll be dunking the basketball again, very soon.

15 677
 12-30-2018, 04:04 PM
User Info
Obie,
That is a very nice travel kit. Mine is the standard Dopp Kit, single compartment for everything and if you're lucky a small pocket on the outside. I wish you the best of luck with the surgery and recovery.

Thanks for your service.

Dave

1 155
 12-30-2018, 04:19 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the kind words and the good wishes.

200 4,204
 12-30-2018, 05:02 PM
User Info
Obie, you're going first class with your travel kit.  

Best wishes with your surgery.

60 9,642
 12-30-2018, 05:30 PM
User Info
That is one beautiful bag.  Good luck on your surgery.  I can see you doing moguls again very soon.

2 362
 12-30-2018, 07:27 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
Again thank you for the kind words about the wet pack, and thank you for the good wishes. I'll be around for the next few days, and while recuperating, I'll have my iPad and try to keep in touch.
Happy New Year.

200 4,204
 12-30-2018, 08:00 PM
User Info
Wish you well during your recovery! Do you use audible? It’s my lifesaver whenever I’m stuck immobile for a while (delayed flight, driving long distances, traveling for work) - might be worth a look. They are having a 2-for-1 sale for the next couple of days.

That is a very complete dopp bag! Simpsons synthetic, pre-shave, cream, witch hazel, styptic pencil, aftershave, & balm! Wow! When I travel - it’s basics only: a shave stick, synth, witch-hazel, balm, & a cartridge razor (because I carry-on). I do miss using a nice aftershave when traveling - but it’s not worth the hassle with TSA.

36 1,912
 12-30-2018, 10:21 PM
User Info
Firstly, I hope your knee surgery and recovery go well!

You’ve got a nice kit there!

I don’t have set items, but I like everything I bring to be replaceable.

13 640
 12-31-2018, 05:56 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the kind words, and for the good wishes. I will continue to keep in touch while recuperating.

I like things neat and tidy. And I love leather. And the leather in this wet pack is soft and supple.

In the case of shaving while traveling, I want all my needs contained in one place, a wet pack in this case, with the contents easily accessible and orderly packed. Nothing serves those needs for me better than this type of military style wet pack, where everything has its place. Interestingly enough, when I return from a trip, everything will have remained in the wet pack where I put it before leaving for the trip.

Most importantly, this particular wet pack continues the luxury I afford my morning shave even when traveling. I shave seven days a week, always in the morning, often with a cup of fine coffee on the side, and with music, mostly classical and jazz, with a sprinkling of other musical forms. As a writer, novelist and voice talent, I work from home, and I take my time shaving.

Gentlemen, the morning shave is one of life's sweetest rituals, and I go all out to celebrate it — wherever my shave den.

200 4,204
 12-31-2018, 06:32 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Obie, my bionic brother. Best wishes to you for a speedy and effective recovery. Do your rehab and PT like every little thing depends on it. In just a few short weeks you’ll be feeling markedly better! If you want to shmooze back channel I’m available any time.

Love your travel kit, btw. Happy shaving and a healthy new year, my friend Smile

15 3,749
 12-31-2018, 06:52 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(12-31-2018, 06:32 AM)chazt Wrote: Obie, my bionic brother. Best wishes to you for a speedy and effective recovery. Do your rehab and PT like every little thing depends on it. In just a few short weeks you’ll be feeling markedly better! If you want to shmooze back channel I’m available any time.

Love your travel kit, btw. Happy shaving and a healthy new year, my friend  Smile
Charlie, my dear friend,
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the rehab is important. For my previous operation, I spent little over a week on the rehab floor at my VA here. (My VA here in Milwaukee is top of the line.) That helped quite a bit, rather than coming home and then going back and forth to the VA several times a week during the early rehab.
Interestingly enough, since you're not allowed to shower for a while after the operation and advised to bath in a different way, it's important to stock the wet pack accordingly. Following my needs on my last hospital rehab, my wet pack is ready to go. Listen, nothing like a good shave — anytime and anywhere.
Happy New Year.

200 4,204
 01-02-2019, 03:58 PM
User Info
Obie - you have used the words "neat and tidy" just like they taught you in the military. I'm going to bet you are Navy or Marines. Like the other replies above, my best wishes to you. That is most important of all.

Question - where did you get such a beautiful bag? Do they still exist?

Idea - call the local VFW or American Legion. They may have a member who would come and shave you while you are on the recovery floor. This will get the job done and could be the start of a wonderful friendship. At the very least, throw in some wipes to refresh you when you don't feel like (or are not allowed to) shower.

17 388
 01-02-2019, 08:33 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(01-02-2019, 03:58 PM)slackskin Wrote: Obie - you have used the words "neat and tidy" just like they taught you in the military. I'm going to bet you are Navy or Marines. Like the other replies above, my best wishes to you. That is most important of all.

Question - where did you get such a beautiful bag? Do they still exist?

Idea - call the local VFW or American Legion. They may have a member who would come and shave you while you are on the recovery floor. This will get the job done and could be the start of a wonderful friendship. At the very least, throw in some wipes to refresh you when you don't feel like (or are not allowed to) shower.

Craig, my friend, actually the U.S. Army's 4th Infantry Division, Vietnam, 1967-68. I grew up being neat and tidy, and that characteristic continues to this day.

By the way, thank you for the good wishes.

Daines and Hathaway, of England, makes this British Army officer style wet pack (circa the 1920s). Fendrihan, of Canada, carries its. Mine is the chestnut Brooklyn leather with the green lining. They seem to be out of this particular color. https://www.fendrihan.com/collections/to...y-wet-pack

As for having someone shave me while I'm recuperating in the hospital, that is a good idea. Except that I love shaving far too much to deprive myself of the ritual, even when hung up in the hospital.

200 4,204
 01-03-2019, 12:00 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Your kit is quite impressive and complete. 

Your recovery reminds me of my father's recovery after a stroke. I recall one day him asking me, as he was bedridden, if I could shave him. He was WWll infantry and Master Sergeant. At the time I was barely into my DE life but what I realized later in life was just how important that feeling of a clean close shave was to him. Now I get it as well.
Unfortunately I used an electric razor on the old guy. If only I had been more in tune with his request.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm sure this one will go better than the last one knowing what you have to do in therapy.

0 580
 01-03-2019, 01:02 PM
User Info
I'm heading out of town on Monday for a week-long trip to Minnesota.  I'll snap a few pics when I get there, as I'm not entirely sure what it will look like yet...

1 320
 01-03-2019, 01:23 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(01-03-2019, 12:00 PM)Garb Wrote: Your kit is quite impressive and complete. 

Your recovery reminds me of my father's recovery after a stroke. I recall one day him asking me, as he was bedridden, if I could shave him. He was WWll infantry and Master Sergeant. At the time I was barely into my DE life but what I realized later in life was just how important that feeling of a clean close shave was to him. Now I get it as well.
Unfortunately I used an electric razor on the old guy. If only I had been more in tune with his request.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm sure this one will go better than the last one knowing what you have to do in therapy.

Garb,
What a lovely story about your father.
Thanks for the good wishes.
Obie

200 4,204
 01-03-2019, 07:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Good night, Obie. Check in when you’re feeling up to it Smile

15 3,749
 01-03-2019, 07:43 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(01-03-2019, 07:31 PM)chazt Wrote: Good night, Obie. Check in when you’re feeling up to it Smile
Charlie, my friend, thank you. I'll try to post an update as soon as I can.

200 4,204
 01-06-2019, 04:54 PM
User Info
Best wishes for your knee replacement and a speedy recovery!

Thank you so much for posting this. I have been trying to find pictures of these actually being used in the wild just to see what all can fit into them. What a gorgeous pack! 

Cheers

12 639