12-31-2018, 07:35 AM
  • TN4
  • Atlanta
User Info
Hey Everyone,

I am looking at getting a Simpsons synthetic bristle shaving brush, mainly to use for travel. I am considering either the Chubby 2 or the Duke 3. I am wondering what people's general experiences are with these brushes, but more specifically I am curious about the differences between the two. I have heard that it is really hard to get the Chubby 2 to splay, given the density of the brush, but I have also heard the same about the Duke 3. So is the Duke 3 just a smaller version of the Chubby 2? Any insight on the differences between these brushes would be greatly appreciated!

2 113
 12-31-2018, 09:59 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
TN4,

I have both the Chubby 2 and Duke 3 synthetic brushes — and love them. The Duke is also my travel brush. You're right, these brushes do not splay as much as the general synthetic brushes. The Chubby splays more than the Duke, because it has a bigger knot with a little higher loft. So if you want a brush to "mush" on your face, then the Simpson synthetics are not for you.

On the other hand, I have yet to find a knot as sweet on the face as my Chubby 2 synthetic. I love this brush, especially because it is ideal for my ultra sensitive skin. For me, it splays enough — with use it is doing more. The Duke, with its smaller knot, has more of a bounce in the knot and limited splay. If this might make the brush somewhat scratchy and unpleasant with many other synthetic brushes, the sweet Simpson knot is still a pleasure to use in the smaller knot.

I dislike the dreaded glue bump found in many synthetic brushes. The Simpson synthetics mercifully do not have any. 

I especially recommend the Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic brush, as long as realize you're not getting the typical synthetic brush; rather, something special.

love

186 3,879
 12-31-2018, 04:29 PM
User Info
My 2nd gen CH2 Synthetic Badger (mine still uses that term) is a terrific travel brush. It mashes. You just can't be afraid to mash against your skin. 

54 4,988
 12-31-2018, 04:52 PM
User Info
I have the Chubby 2 Synthetic and it is pretty clearly the best synthetic brush I've ever tried. As Obie and Primo have mentioned, it will splay with some pressure. Also, the density of the hairs and the softness of the tips is amazing. It is great as a regular rotation brush - I don't limit it to travel use.

37 1,750
 12-31-2018, 06:17 PM
User Info
The Chubby 2 is my favorite synthetic.  It does not splay a lot, but it doesn't need to if you use paint brush strokes.  No other synthetic has the combination of softness and density.

54 8,781
 01-01-2019, 02:06 AM
User Info
Hi guys, from what I have read, you should not splay brushes as it damages them.

0 166
 01-01-2019, 05:10 AM
User Info
(01-01-2019, 02:06 AM)Roy Wrote: Hi guys, from what I have read, you should not splay brushes as it damages them.
I have been "mashing" my CH2 Synthetic for almost 5 years. Would I do this with my Rooney's or Other high-end badgers? Absolutely not. 
Does this brush look damaged? The CH2 Synthetic is darn-near indestructible. A cyborg amongst shave brushes.  Wink
[Image: jqHgrVk.jpg]

54 4,988
 01-01-2019, 05:26 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
I've been eyeing these, too, as I've tried a lot of synths and haven't found one to my liking.

7 671
 01-01-2019, 06:21 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(01-01-2019, 02:06 AM)Roy Wrote: Hi guys, from what I have read, you should not splay brushes as it damages them.

Roy,

Some manufacturers advise against using circular strokes with their bush. I know Simpson does, noting that the circular strokes damage the knot. If I recall, Plisson suggests using circular strokes with their synthetics. I guess, some do and some don't.

These days my brush lineup is strictly synthetic. Long gone are the Wiborgs, Simpsons and Thaters. Maybe someday I'll return to them, who knows? In the meantime, I use my synthetics in both circular and paint brush strokes. Thus far no damage to the brushes. For years I did the same with my badgers and noticed no brush damage.

In the meantime, the Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic is heavenly. I have not experienced a synthetic knot like it. Nor one that comes anywhere near the Simpson synthetic silk on my Hollywood face. I use the Chubby 2 in circular and paint brush strokes. As for the splaying, I don't go overboard with the Simpson or other synthetic brands.

186 3,879
 01-01-2019, 07:26 AM
User Info
(01-01-2019, 06:21 AM)Obie Wrote:

Nor one that comes anywhere near the Simpson synthetic silk on my Hollywood face. 
Biggrin

54 4,988
 01-01-2019, 01:14 PM
  • TN4
  • Atlanta
User Info
Guys, thanks for the great info here. Very helpful. It seems like the synthetic Chubby does not really splay, but that's not a problem as it is still effective at making a lather. The reason why I asked about the splay in my initial post was because I was just traveling and used a shave stick for the first time. I rubbed the stick on my face until there was plenty of soap coverage, and went to work lathering with my synthetic. Now, the synthetic I currently have has a tuxedo knot, and does not splay at all, so I used paint brush strokes out of necessity. Unfortunately, I found that doing this did not result in the lather I wanted, and I was thinking that maybe it is because the brush didn't splay. It seems like most of you do not have a problem generating lather using paint brush strokes, so perhaps I was doing something wrong, or perhaps it is a matter of certain synthetic knots being better at creating lather than others (seems like the Simpsons knots have no problem based on what has been said here). Just so I'm clear, do those of you who are recommending the Chubby synthetic have the 50mm knots? I know they produced some around 54mm in the past.

2 113
 01-01-2019, 03:02 PM
User Info
(01-01-2019, 01:14 PM)TN4 Wrote: Guys, thanks for the great info here. Very helpful. It seems like the synthetic Chubby does not really splay, but that's not a problem as it is still effective at making a lather. The reason why I asked about the splay in my initial post was because I was just traveling and used a shave stick for the first time. I rubbed the stick on my face until there was plenty of soap coverage, and went to work lathering with my synthetic. Now, the synthetic I currently have has a tuxedo knot, and does not splay at all, so I used paint brush strokes out of necessity. Unfortunately, I found that doing this did not result in the lather I wanted, and I was thinking that maybe it is because the brush didn't splay. It seems like most of you do not have a problem generating lather using paint brush strokes, so perhaps I was doing something wrong, or perhaps it is a matter of certain synthetic knots being better at creating lather than others (seems like the Simpsons knots have no problem based on what has been said here). Just so I'm clear, do those of you who are recommending the Chubby synthetic have the 50mm knots? I know they produced some around 54mm in the past.
Not true.

54 4,988
 01-02-2019, 06:05 PM
User Info
I have the Duke 3 synthetic, but I’m not crazy about it. Super soft tips but relentless backbone - too much for my liking. One of the things I dislike about synthetic brushes is that they’re static - there’s no break in period in which you can enjoy the way a natural brush evolves over time. From what I can tell, the synthetic will be the virtually the same on shave #100 as it was on shave #1. That said, I’m thinking of giving the chubby 2 a try. I missed the Christmas window, but maybe for my birthday in a few months Smile

Joe

0 20
 01-03-2019, 04:02 AM
User Info
Waaaayy back in 2014, I was a wet-shaving newbie and I created this thread. So, as you can see, the same questions are being raised in 2019.
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=24544
5 years later (almost), I can say that the CH2 is still my only synthetic and the only synthetic which I will ever own. Yes, @Jivey it is exactly the same today as it was in 2014. Is that a negative? In this case, I say, no---not at all.

54 4,988
 01-03-2019, 08:03 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I agree, the Simpson synthetic tips are silk.

I have to pull it out again soon, as it's been a while since I have used it... Been using other synthetic brushes and I seem to forget to use the Simpson for some reason.

84 3,590
 01-04-2019, 10:50 AM
User Info
I have the  chubby 2 synthetic and it is a great brush. I actually prefer my synthetics from Elite by Bob Quinn.  IMHO, they are better and you can pick out your handle/color preference and price is similar.

16 135
 01-04-2019, 11:53 AM
User Info
(01-04-2019, 10:50 AM)petropn Wrote: I have the  chubby 2 synthetic and it is a great brush. I actually prefer my synthetics from Elite by Bob Quinn.  IMHO, they are better and you can pick out your handle/color preference and price is similar.

Which type of synthetic knots do you have in your Bob Quinn/Elite brushes?

54 8,781
 01-04-2019, 12:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(01-04-2019, 10:50 AM)petropn Wrote: I have the  chubby 2 synthetic and it is a great brush. I actually prefer my synthetics from Elite by Bob Quinn.  IMHO, they are better and you can pick out your handle/color preference and price is similar.

I really love using my ER/BQ synth brushes. My favorites are two Mother Lode knots in original Eskimo handles. And i also have one of Bob’s Tuxedo knots in a Tom Earley handle. The tuxedo knot reminds me a lot of the CH2 synth in terms of backbone, but it is definitely different. The Mother Lode knots are THE softest tipped knots I’ve ever used. It’s like lathering with a cotton ball!

10 3,316
 01-04-2019, 01:46 PM
User Info
(01-04-2019, 11:53 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:

Which type of synthetic knots do you have in your Bob Quinn/Elite brushes?

I have a 26mm plisson and a 26mm tuxedo and both are incredible.  I had a mother lode knot, quality was awesome, but it was just to floppy for me.  I sent it back to Bob and he took out the mother lode knot and put in another tuxedo for me.  Only charged me for the extra tuxedo knot.  Very satisfied with Elite/Bob.  His Manchurian badger knots are great too.

16 135
 01-04-2019, 10:41 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(01-01-2019, 01:14 PM)TN4 Wrote: Just so I'm clear, do those of you who are recommending the Chubby synthetic have the 50mm knots? I know they produced some around 54mm in the past.

I've had 3 with around 50mm or less and sold/traded them, no love. A few months ago I got hold of a 54mm one and that's a keeper but keep in mind that I don't like too much backbone in my brushes.

34 1,582