01-04-2019, 11:47 PM
User Info
I have a 52mm Chubby 2 synth that I like quite a bit. Great density & flow through - and using paintbrush motions creates exceptional lather.

35 1,860
 01-05-2019, 08:20 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(01-04-2019, 11:47 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I have a 52mm Chubby 2 synth that I like quite a bit. Great density & flow through - and using paintbrush motions creates exceptional lather.

Yep. Paintbrush strokes make this brush really shine!

15 3,598
 08-08-2019, 08:52 PM
User Info
(01-01-2019, 06:21 AM)Obie Wrote: Some manufacturers advise against using circular strokes with their bush. I know Simpson does, noting that the circular strokes damage the knot. If I recall, Plisson suggests using circular strokes with their synthetics. I guess, some do and some don't.

These days my brush lineup is strictly synthetic. Long gone are the Wiborgs, Simpsons and Thaters. Maybe someday I'll return to them, who knows? In the meantime, I use my synthetics in both circular and paint brush strokes. Thus far no damage to the brushes. For years I did the same with my badgers and noticed no brush damage.

In the meantime, the Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic is heavenly. I have not experienced a synthetic knot like it. Nor one that comes anywhere near the Simpson synthetic silk on my Hollywood face. I use the Chubby 2 in circular and paint brush strokes. As for the splaying, I don't go overboard with the Simpson or other synthetic brands.

I've had a Rooney and a Simpson (Chubby 2) in badger.  Both brushes shed like crazy.  They lost 2-3 hairs a day every day for years.  I tried combing them but that just made more hairs drop out.  I couldn't stand it and they both just ended up in the trash.  Now I've got a synbad, which is OK, but I'd like something nicer so I'm considering the Chubby 2 synthetic or the Muhle synthetic.  I also intend to use both circular and paint brush strokes.  My shaving bowl is round and not too large so loading the brush with anything but circular strokes is a non-starter.  My face is larger and has no rim, so paint brush seems natural.

Is it reasonable to hope that I can find a brush that won't drop hairs?

0 1
 08-09-2019, 02:50 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(08-08-2019, 08:52 PM)rmongiovi Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 06:21 AM)Obie Wrote: Some manufacturers advise against using circular strokes with their bush. I know Simpson does, noting that the circular strokes damage the knot. If I recall, Plisson suggests using circular strokes with their synthetics. I guess, some do and some don't.

These days my brush lineup is strictly synthetic. Long gone are the Wiborgs, Simpsons and Thaters. Maybe someday I'll return to them, who knows? In the meantime, I use my synthetics in both circular and paint brush strokes. Thus far no damage to the brushes. For years I did the same with my badgers and noticed no brush damage.

In the meantime, the Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic is heavenly. I have not experienced a synthetic knot like it. Nor one that comes anywhere near the Simpson synthetic silk on my Hollywood face. I use the Chubby 2 in circular and paint brush strokes. As for the splaying, I don't go overboard with the Simpson or other synthetic brands.

I've had a Rooney and a Simpson (Chubby 2) in badger.  Both brushes shed like crazy.  They lost 2-3 hairs a day every day for years.  I tried combing them but that just made more hairs drop out.  I couldn't stand it and they both just ended up in the trash.  Now I've got a synbad, which is OK, but I'd like something nicer so I'm considering the Chubby 2 synthetic or the Muhle synthetic.  I also intend to use both circular and paint brush strokes.  My shaving bowl is round and not too large so loading the brush with anything but circular strokes is a non-starter.  My face is larger and has no rim, so paint brush seems natural.

Is it reasonable to hope that I can find a brush that won't drop hairs?
I know what you mean by the frustration of brushes losing hair. You might try the new Thater synthetic brush. BullGoose has it. I have not tried this brush yet, but you can never go wrong with a Thater. Remember, though, that almost all brushes lose some hairs before settling down.
Also, try Yaqi synthetic brushes; I have a number of them and they work fine. The Chubby 2 synthetic has lovely soft tips, but if you want a synthetic brush that splays, I suggest getting something else. There are a number of custom synthetic brush makers on ETSY that you might want to try.

196 4,084
 08-09-2019, 04:58 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-08-2019, 08:52 PM)rmongiovi Wrote: Is it reasonable to hope that I can find a brush that won't drop hairs?
My Simpson CH2 synthetic badger hasn’t shed at all. Not once. And I am definitely not gentle with it. It is stout, sturdy, soft and supple.

15 3,598
 08-09-2019, 07:46 AM
User Info
(08-09-2019, 04:58 AM)chazt Wrote:
(08-08-2019, 08:52 PM)rmongiovi Wrote: Is it reasonable to hope that I can find a brush that won't drop hairs?
My Simpson CH2 synthetic badger hasn’t shed at all. Not once. And I am definitely not gentle with it. It is stout, sturdy, soft and supple.

I've used CH2 synthetics extensively since they were first released in 2014.  I have never had a single hair shed.

59 9,318
 08-09-2019, 10:25 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(08-09-2019, 07:46 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(08-09-2019, 04:58 AM)chazt Wrote:

I've used CH2 synthetics extensively since they were first released in 2014.  I have never had a single hair shed.

Same.
In fact, I've never had any synthetic brush shed a single hair and that's all I've used for probably 3 years. Many synthetic brushes, btw.

90 3,761
 08-14-2019, 06:46 PM
User Info
Some very nice  Chubby 2 synthetics "Centenary Edition" are now available on the Simpsons website.  I just bought a Sunspot Orange.

31 194
 08-15-2019, 12:16 AM
User Info
Still wish Simpson would make a Polo 10 Synthetic with a 55 mm loft, and no I never bowl lather but Polo 10 is the only Simpson handle I enjoy.

25 6,619
 Yesterday, 12:24 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(08-14-2019, 06:46 PM)petropn Wrote: Some very nice  Chubby 2 synthetics "Centenary Edition" are now available on the Simpsons website.  I just bought a Sunspot Orange.
Damn you!!!
I mean...
Thank you!!!

... Copper Ice on the way

90 3,761
 6 hours ago
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
First thing first, I have dermatological issues ... so my skin is very sensitive.
I can't use firm fibres.

Some years ago (2014), I've tried CH2S.
Fortunately, It was a loan.
Never purchased.

Now I'm super happy with Yaqi Cashmere or Oumo Mother Lode.
When It calls sweeeeeeet.

0 1,725