09-12-2012, 10:05 PM
User Info
A little while ago I picked up a Cadet TP-01 from Shave A Buck along with some other things, and I'm happy I did - it's a good razor for a good price.

The box it came in is serviceable, but nothing fancy - then again, we don't buy razors based on the box they come in, but based on how they shave. Well... at least I don't buy razors based on the box - YMMV as with anything relating to this hobby.

The TP-01 is a straight forward three piece open comb razor - pretty much a case of what you see is what you get. It is heavier than I expected, since the handle is solid, not hollow like it is on many other inexpensive razors. This gives it a pleasant balance in my opinion, with the centre of gravity about 3cm below the head. The end result is a remarkable manoeuvrable razor, which should suit most shavers.

A curious side note: the handle of the TP-01 fits the heads of my Merkur 25C, my Merkur 985CL and Yuma - but the head of the TP-01 won't screw all the way onto the handles of said razors. Best guess has to do with the length of the shank - the head of the TP-01 has a longer shank than any of my other razors - and/or the pitch of the screw thread. It is not of any great importance to me - the handle of the TP-01 suits me fine.

The shave I get from the TP-01 is a bit more aggressive and less mild than I get from my other open combs - since the blade angle of the Cadet and my Merkur OCs is virtually the same as far as I can tell, it must be down to blade exposure and blade gap. The sheer depth of the comb might also account for parts of it - all in all a well designed head for a efficient, manly shave.

The craftsmanship of the razor is first class - no visible toolmarks, even plating, highly polished... I can't even tell where the casting sprue have been removed, something I can do on my Merkurs - even if I really had to look.

If you are in the marked for an Open Comb razor, look no further than the Cadet - it's an efficient, comfortable, inexpensive and well made razor.

3 3,550
 09-13-2012, 01:17 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
Nice review. I have the black handle tp-26 version and got a incredible close shave this morning. Though i think its works best with a little milder blade like the Shark ss. Its quite agressive as you say.

0 284
 09-13-2012, 04:25 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Great review and pictures. I have the same setup and am totally happy not only with the build quality but the shave is great.

100 12,436
 09-13-2012, 07:38 AM
User Info
Hans, thanks for the review and enjoy the razor.

75 20,883
 09-13-2012, 07:47 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thank you for the excellent review!

I found it very aggressive on my first shave with it. I paired it with a Kai blade. I should never pair unknown combos the first shave out with a new to me razor....

Which blade(s) have you tried in it so far Hans?

6 905
 09-13-2012, 08:49 AM
User Info
I paired it with a Wilkinson Sword for the week I used it (and no other razor) - a good blade that performs well in all my razors.

3 3,550
 09-13-2012, 09:21 AM
User Info
Very good review Hans.

It seems that most people who have purchased it have about the same opinions on it's aggressiveness as well as it's fit and finish.

5 833
 09-14-2012, 06:04 AM
User Info
Good review. I had similar experience with it. It is more aggressive than the Gillette NEW and indeed has much more blade exposure.

6 808
 09-14-2012, 10:09 AM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
Thanks for the review + pics.
Don't think I've heard a bad thing about the Cadets so far...

19 591
 10-06-2012, 12:13 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Great review, thanks Hans!

88 4,233