01-01-2019, 06:09 AM
User Info
First let me start out by saying this is a new account name for me here as I could not recall my old name as I have been absent for maybe over a year.  So hello again.  I have been looking to get another strop for sometime and looked to Bison; Ezra Arthur; Griffith and many others and one thing kept popping up regardless of the fact I was looking to a cordovan made strop, and that is.....Tony Miller Heirloom Old #2.  That said I noticed overnight his site has a new look for 2019 and easier to navigate.  His strop being steerhide and not horsehide which seems to have a cult following as being best I decided to purchase.  His price is great for a strop that quite honestly if he has a bad review I have not really seen it.  The light/medium draw is a big plus and the fact I am working a SRD 2" latigo with a heavy medium draw I look forward to getting in hand.

I have some pasted 2.75" roughly Herold Solingen light draw strops that have been treated with Dovo paste for dialing in a blade, I can only assume the draw on a TM will be similar.  His construction process and look of his strops really left the others behind in my estimation and while it is steerhide and not a expensive cordovan strop, I look forward to seeing what it will do for my stable of razors.  

I will post up pictures when it arrives as I just ordered this morning.  I ordered the 2.5" version with linen second and leather handles.  I contemplated the D-rings as that is what I am use to but wanted to try the leather grab handles for a change.  Will it be worth the extra $14 for that???  Who knows, but I am game.

Good to be back but I needed a break from the forums.  Since my last post way back when I have added a lot of new straights......awaiting a Wacker as I type which from my forum name as you can see, I am a bit of a German connoisseur to say the least.

0 23
 01-01-2019, 08:55 AM
User Info
You made a good choice.  TM premium steerhide strops are outstanding.   Although their draw is not as light as horsehide, it's still a light draw.

58 9,200
 01-01-2019, 09:47 AM
User Info
TM has really nice leather. Always wished he would make strops with a barber's end. I like a minimum of hardware

3 850
 01-01-2019, 12:27 PM
User Info
Thanks gentlemen for the replies.  I think through my research and your replies the validation of a TM strop to be a good choice.

0 23
 01-01-2019, 06:13 PM
User Info
(01-01-2019, 09:47 AM)SteelTown Wrote: TM has really nice leather. Always wished he would make strops with a barber's end. I like a minimum of hardware

can’t you just cut the end straight?

2 54
 01-01-2019, 06:59 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(01-01-2019, 09:47 AM)SteelTown Wrote: TM has really nice leather. Always wished he would make strops with a barber's end. I like a minimum of hardware

He used to make a strop with a barbers end. I believe it was called Old Timer. He also made a Grandpas but I believe the leather had a different finish. 

I would definitely contact him of you're interested in a barber end. He might be able to make you one.

99 1,908
 01-02-2019, 09:59 AM
User Info
(01-01-2019, 06:59 PM)Gabe Wrote:

He used to make a strop with a barbers end. I believe it was called Old Timer. He also made a Grandpas but I believe the leather had a different finish. 

I would definitely contact him of you're interested in a barber end. He might be able to make you one.

Tony M makes an excellent strop and I have used and tried lots of strops from lots of makers and his attention to detail is above a lot of makers, I currently have one of his “Grandpa stops” and it’s very glassy and does an excellent job on an edge

I don’t believe he has any leather left that he used on this one http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=45996&highlight=Grandpa but I’m sure he could maybe sub a different leather in its place but any strop you get from home is going to seve you along time

7 1,705
 01-05-2019, 07:04 AM
User Info
Notification came that my strop is on the way and should be here on Monday.  Will post up my newly acquired shaving paraphernalia when it arrives.

0 23
 01-05-2019, 03:18 PM
User Info
Well the TM Old #2 showed up 2 days early!  And a added bonus my what I thought was lost by the USPS Wacker All Around 6/8 with black horn with yellow streak scales as well showed up!  Today was a great day for me.....thank you Lord!

Sorry but phone photos as I did not have time to stage and shoot with my Canon.

[Image: VtiyL6d.jpg][Image: i7bBmix.jpg][Image: HNS94lt.jpg]

0 23
 01-05-2019, 05:24 PM
User Info
You had a very nice mail day.   Both the Wacker and TM are great acquisitions.  I have the same strop and highly recommend it.

58 9,200
 01-05-2019, 05:52 PM
User Info
(01-05-2019, 05:24 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: You had a very nice mail day.   Both the Wacker and TM are great acquisitions.  I have the same strop and highly recommend it.

TY sir.  Yes it was a great day for sure.

0 23
 01-05-2019, 08:28 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Very nice acquisitions. One day I'll treat myself to a Wacker.

99 1,908