01-02-2019, 11:26 PM
User Info
When you think "disposable razor" today, you think plastic. But there was a time before non-biodegradable materials were the material of choice for things used a few times and then dumped in the landfill... and in those days a lady would want smooth legs and hairless pits even if she had forgotten her grooming equipment when she went on a unplanned rendezvous.
[Image: nZEEAEo-Q1iGdXQ2obZWe5QoPod-0OkPppIsbjzJ...Oe85A=s0-d]
[Image: wbqVszZ.jpg]
Enter the Welch's Saratoga Disposable Razor and/or E-KON-I-ME (economy?) razors, identical in all but name as far as I can tell, and both also used the trademark "Just A Little Shaver". A perfectly safe hair remover that would aid you in removing objectionable hair.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR90jU72SkJgPGbqr6gJtt...fsfWLEn2rl]
Robert K Waits' compendium tracks the trademark back to 1917, not that long after we as a society started body-shaming women into shaving their armpits (which happened in 1915).
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGND4bfFRY6KUX_Y2dmbH...pKSX-a48mH]
The razor was made by Woodward-Williams Co. Inc., of Rochester, NY. Given that the only difference is the markings on the head, and that Saratoga apparently was a popular summer resort, I assume it was possible at the time for a hotel or resort to have razors like these rebranded as a promotional item... something you could keep for a while as a tangible reminder of the unplanned rendezvous you suddenly went on.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3ILVM8r8lW4i0vzjt_TI...PZTqRCg3S4]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0WKD7zCmx7jgvg8b9GP2...Odg3hFi0cA]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAavx3b4ye_sr6D3GUrLe...xCdAcx3nqY]
The razor itself is simple enough; all wooden construction, a head with an open comb cut on one side and a slot for a blade, and a fairly stubby handle. Given the coarseness of the comb - only five teeth across the whole razor - it probably wasn't the smoothest of razors out there... but it was available on site as it were, and if you really need a shave a razor in your hand is ten times better than a razor at home.
[Image: Saratoga-Wooden-single-blade-Safety-Razo...-dates.jpg]
The E-KON-I-ME brand was also used on a razor blade sharpener. The name makes more sense for that product, so I'm assuming in the absence of firm information that the sharpener started manufacture before the little wooden disposable.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFnHLkXlDUX77SE5NYNIP...A8HGSfRfEw]
A bio-degradable disposable would be a nice option to have today, but I think I would prefer something a bit more refined than these wooden ones. Still fun to dive into what little I could find about them and share with y'all.

3 6,136
 01-03-2019, 03:43 AM
User Info
Thanks for the Trivia..... Cheers

1 1,031
 01-03-2019, 05:16 AM
User Info
Where do you find this stuff?

6 388
 01-03-2019, 05:52 AM
User Info
(01-03-2019, 05:16 AM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Where do you find this stuff?

Google's patent search is a rich source for weird stuff, as is Robert K Wait' Safety Razor Compendium. From that start I can get keywords, and then a google search will often yield more information Smile

3 6,136
 01-03-2019, 09:05 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Strange but true history.  

Thanks Hans!

10 1,909