09-13-2012, 09:47 AM
User Info
thought i would pass on what i have learned that is working well for me and hope it might help somebody else. i have real course stubble and sensitive skin ,and after reading everyone's advice here{and there and everywhere!! } i have come across this .
1. i take either a hot shower or bath. depends on the day.
2. i had heard about pre-shave creams and oils. i read that someone had tried udder cream. i applied that to wet face.
3. work up a good yogurt like lather and lather face. i did try williams shaving soap and found it drying and just didn't like it to shave with. i read that some use the shaving soap they don't shave with as a shower/ bath soap . i did today. i can take it or leave it.
4. i make 3 passes. WTG,ATG,XTG. touch up if needed. this equals FANTASTIC SHAVE!!! it really is BBS. i rinse with hot water then with cold. i pat dry my face well. i then use Nivea after shave balm for sensitive skin. tonight before i go to work i will probably splash Clubman's After shave on.
i tell ya it is alllmost as good as a barber shave...almost. this is working real good for me and like i said i hope it helps somebody.

0 189
 09-13-2012, 10:47 AM
User Info
Thanks for the post and enjoy your routine.

75 20,883
 09-13-2012, 11:00 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Sounds like a solid routine. Whatever works for you!

88 4,233
 09-13-2012, 11:04 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
It is sweet when you find a solid routine that works for you.
Here's to more great shaves.

1 3,507
 09-13-2012, 11:48 AM
User Info
(09-13-2012, 09:47 AM)boris007 Wrote: thought i would pass on what i have learned that is working well for me and hope it might help somebody else. i have real course stubble and sensitive skin ,and after reading everyone's advice here{and there and everywhere!! } i have come across this .
1. i take either a hot shower or bath. depends on the day.
2. i had heard about pre-shave creams and oils. i read that someone had tried udder cream. i applied that to wet face.
3. work up a good yogurt like lather and lather face. i did try williams shaving soap and found it drying and just didn't like it to shave with. i read that some use the shaving soap they don't shave with as a shower/ bath soap . i did today. i can take it or leave it.
4. i make 3 passes. WTG,ATG,XTG. touch up if needed. this equals FANTASTIC SHAVE!!! it really is BBS. i rinse with hot water then with cold. i pat dry my face well. i then use Nivea after shave balm for sensitive skin. tonight before i go to work i will probably splash Clubman's After shave on.
i tell ya it is alllmost as good as a barber shave...almost. this is working real good for me and like i said i hope it helps somebody.

Granted I've only had 1 barber shave but if I could only shave almost as good as a barber shave then I'd quit shaving altogether. I'm thankful that I can get much better results than my barber got.

As for your routine it sounds solid and you know what they say... if it ain't broke don't fixit.

31 7,914
 09-13-2012, 03:41 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Its clear that "every teacher has its methods".After some time shaving,I got my method too and its very similar to yours,but with some variations.

86 7,123
 09-13-2012, 04:54 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
Congrats on your BBS!!

0 197
 09-13-2012, 05:19 PM
User Info
Nice work....the most important part of the shave is prep and it looks like you have that part down well. Thanks for sharing.

5 938
 09-13-2012, 05:20 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Different products and technique, but with the same results.

It is very rewarding when we discover what works best for us. Makes for a very pleasant day.

Congrats on the good shave.

173 23,535
 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM
User Info
Thanks to all! i look forward to learning more. i tried a similar routine with my autistic son today with good results. he indicated that he didn't like DE shaving so i shaved him with a plastic multiblade. it worked well, but i can never go back to it. when my youngest is ready to shave, he is gonna learn " the old fashioned" way.

0 189
 09-14-2012, 01:55 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thank you for sharing Boris Smile

feedback is FANTASTIC!

9 1,684
 10-31-2012, 08:45 AM
User Info
I always enjoy hearing about someones shaving routine, some of them are pretty amazing but I think with a really good shaving soap none of that is needed

0 34
 12-13-2012, 10:44 AM
User Info
i varied my routine just a leeetle bit and it seems to work well.
i have found a dollar store treasure that i use for preshave . Rise Shaving Gel. after my shower, i wet my face again . put some Rise on and lather up. another thing i started doing is rinsing my face and leave it wet AFTER EVERY PASS and before the next one. then i repeat with the Rise and lather up until i am done. after i am done shaving, i use the remaining lather in my brush and lather up face one more time while i am cleaning up and putting stuff away. i rinse with hot water and then with cold. now that winter is here, it is ICE cold. but the cold water rinse seems good and any nicks or weepers i have it seems to help. pat dry and then get this. on a whim i bought some Jergen's Hand Lotion Original scent and put that on . it really makes my face feel great! it is now in the regular rotation of immediate after care. i put on after shave at night before i go to work. boy it works great!!Smile

0 189
 12-13-2012, 11:21 AM
User Info
It's great that you've found what works, but don't let that stop you from trying other things.

It'd be an awfully boring world if we all did things alike. Heck, what would we be able to discuss?

32 6,309
 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM
  • clk
  • Louisville, Kentucky
User Info
You found the spell that makes the magic work for you.Biggrin

0 230
 12-14-2012, 08:46 AM
User Info
i have to admit i was surprised how great that Jergen's would work in the shaving arena.Smile

0 189